Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
WestCoast Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just on my way to work, and all of a sudden I pressed my clutch and it didn't release back, and I couldn't put it into gear.

Does anyone know if this sounds like I need to replace my clutch? I never have since I've bought the car.

Basically there's no pressure on my clutch anymore

·
WestCoast Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I tried to contact Acura service and they said it sounds like it might be the slave cylinder...does this make sense?

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
it could be either master or slave. or the line in the middle. you can't tell unless u look at it. dealership will rape u on a relatively simple replacement

or it could be your actual pressure plate or clutch fork.

look at driver side rear of engine bay. is there alot of fluid there?

any other diagnosis would require somebody to look at it. impossible to diagnose over the internet.

·
WestCoast Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it could be either master or slave. or the line in the middle. you can't tell unless u look at it. dealership will rape u on a relatively simple replacement

any other diagnosis would require somebody to look at it. impossible to diagnose over the internet.
Thx for the information, this helps a lot. Yes, I agree dealership shops always take your money.

I will check the for fluids. And let you know what I find out...

·
WestCoast Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I'm about to have it towed now. But I did look under the hood, and there seems to be a little fluid on the drivers side under my SRI intake. More towards the front.

Is that worse if there is fluid leaking?

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
well the clutch is a hydraulic pressure system. any leak no matter how small will mean the entire system won't work.

if u have second car or can bum a ride for few days, ask your local clubrsxers for someone to replace the parts for you. dealership will prob ring u for at least 600-700 for that replacement. when the parts are only like $200. even clubrsx sells the master cylinder

·
WestCoast Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the clutch is a hydraulic pressure system. any leak no matter how small will mean the entire system won't work.

if u have second car or can bum a ride for few days, ask your local clubrsxers for someone to replace the parts for you. dealership will prob ring u for at least 600-700 for that replacement. when the parts are only like $200. even clubrsx sells the master cylinder
Great thx again, my mechanic said he'll need to drop the whole transmission to get a full diagnosis. Is this necessary?

sorry i'm asking so many questions, just want know what to expect, and hope the shop isn't just making things up.

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
he's trying to make money off u.

diagnosis starts with cheapest simplest. which is inspecting/replacing the master and/or slave. replacing master takes about 1hr. replacing slave takes a bit more...i haven't done it yet. neither of those two requires dropping the trans.

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
Great thx again, my mechanic said he'll need to drop the whole transmission to get a full diagnosis. Is this necessary?

sorry i'm asking so many questions, just want know what to expect, and hope the shop isn't just making things up.
Your mechanic is on crack. There is pretty much nothing to diagnose. Its going to be the master, the slave, or the line in between.

As was mentioned, all the above can be changed without dropping the transmission. Shit, if you have an intake, all of the parts are visible under the hood.

·
I had one speed, GO.
2,350 Posts
I had the same problem. It was my clutch master cylinder. This happened right after I got my car so I had no idea what it was. Took it to a local shop, they charged me $280 out the door and I was done. If you decide to install the cmc yourself (its easy to me now, and there is a diy in the diy section) please remember to check the fluid and bleeding the clutch is very important!

Just to get it to the shop I had to fill the clutch fluid and bleed it. Sucked to drive, but was cheaper than calling a tow truck. Oh, also go buy the civic si one, I heard they are better.

Thats all. :bow:

·
WestCoast Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the same problem. It was my clutch master cylinder. This happened right after I got my car so I had no idea what it was. Took it to a local shop, they charged me $280 out the door and I was done. If you decide to install the cmc yourself (its easy to me now, and there is a diy in the diy section) please remember to check the fluid and bleeding the clutch is very important!

Just to get it to the shop I had to fill the clutch fluid and bleed it. Sucked to drive, but was cheaper than calling a tow truck. Oh, also go buy the civic si one, I heard they are better.

Thats all. :bow:
Thx to all the true CRSX'ers...master cylinder it is.

Should be out of the shop later this evening...YES!!

·
WestCoast Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad you found the problem. Do you mind me asking what they are going to charge you?
Ummm not sure yet. But the shop is owned by one of my good friends, so I'll post a reply with the breakdown for you. My ride is still on the rack, so they haven't giving the final invoice.

I'm hoping it'll be close to what you or someone said "$280"

·
I had one speed, GO.
2,350 Posts
Ummm not sure yet. But the shop is owned by one of my good friend, so I'll post a reply with the breakdown for you. My ride is still on the rack, so they haven't giving the final invoice.

I'm hoping it'll be close to what you or someone said "$280"
Ya I was charged $280. Found out it is a 20 min install and the part costs like $80 bucks or something. No big deal, I was just wondering

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
...the master cylinder part is not $80 heh. even from clubrsx it's $100 so locally u can expect at least $150. with 1-2hr of shop labor and taxes, prob looking at 300-400

·
I had one speed, GO.
2,350 Posts
...the master cylinder part is not $80 heh. even from clubrsx it's $100 so locally u can expect at least $150. with 1-2hr of shop labor and taxes, prob looking at 300-400
holy snap. I guess the cmc's I saw were used or something. hm. 400 is kinda steep..like I said, I had an oem one from Honda brough to the shop and the total bil was $280 labor and all.

·
WestCoast Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
holy snap. I guess the cmc's I saw were used or something. hm. 400 is kinda steep..like I said, I had an oem one from Honda brough to the shop and the total bil was $280 labor and all.
$400 is way off...final diagnosis..."Slave Cylinder" replacement.

parts and labor $210.00

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
yea slave cylinder is much cheaper. that's only like a $50 part i think

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.