Fill in on history of this problem;

Throwout bearing made weird noises when clutch was in
Felt as if clutch was not engaging all the way
Car bogged a bit when clutch is fully in
Constant grind in all gears
Cant down shift unless speeds are slow
When in any gear, and RPM's above 4k, hard to shift OUT of gear

Current Problem;

Well, today my car ran as usual as far as tranny/clutch...When I went to pick up my girl, my car would have a very hard time getting in gear, I had to rev up to 4 - 5k rpms and shift HARD into first to get it moving. And now thats the problem, It grinds, whines, and embarrasses me! I did take it to a tranny shop recently and just by doing a test drive, the mechanic said clutch is going out (no shit, its obvious) and he said the synchro wheels are going out too...he gave me about 30k miles on my clutch left, hasnt been 2k since I've seem the guy. How would he know that my synchro wheels are going out if he hasnt opened the box? Thats like guessing what kind of gift you got for x-mas, but you wont know until you open it. Plus with my clutch as bad as it was, it could have been my clutch, not synchro wheels at all! I mean, my guess is, when I buy a new clutch, it will shift smooth again, if not...then change the synchros...would be the easy way to find out, since clutch gotta be replaced anyway.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, what does this sound like to you? I know I have to get a new clutch for sure. But opinions?

And I just did the calipers, brake discs, painted bumper holes, meshed the whole front end, tuned up the car (sparkies, belt dressing, engine cleaning...etc) And now she is just sitting next to my Chrysler 300...waiting for a new clutch.

·
GT30R > Traction
3,829 Posts
clutsh is gone get a new one. get the whole clutch kit.
change tranny fluid and look for gold flakes if nothing then your fine

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
clutsh is gone get a new one. get the whole clutch kit.
change tranny fluid and look for gold flakes if nothing then your fine
Thanks for such a quick reply, and see thats the thing bro, when I took it to a buddys oil shop, we both looked at the fluid, looks like its starting to turn light brown, so fairly new...no flakes, metal, shavings, absolutely nothing. Clean fluid!

And yes, I found a F1 Stage 1 Racing Clutch for 140 bucks off of eBay (supports 247 hp), and also found one EXEDY clutch stage 1 racing clutch for 200 (supports 305~hp) off a performance site. Which should I go for?

They're both kits.

Also, is the clutch easy to replace by myself? I'm a DIY type of guy. If not, around how much will it cost with 80 per hour for labor, and I provide the part.

·
Banned
5,791 Posts
bad clutch man.....

·
ArmenianCRSX Crew Founder
3,818 Posts
Thanks for such a quick reply, and see thats the thing bro, when I took it to a buddys oil shop, we both looked at the fluid, looks like its starting to turn light brown, so fairly new...no flakes, metal, shavings, absolutely nothing. Clean fluid!

And yes, I found a F1 Stage 1 Racing Clutch for 140 bucks off of eBay (supports 247 hp), and also found one EXEDY clutch stage 1 racing clutch for 200 (supports 305~hp) off a performance site. Which should I go for?

They're both kits.

Also, is the clutch easy to replace by myself? I'm a DIY type of guy. If not, around how much will it cost with 80 per hour for labor, and I provide the part.
Color of the fluid doesnt really matter, its tranny fluid we're talking about, not motor oil. To be honest, since your car is all stock, why dont you get a stock oem clutch?? I loved the clutch on the type-S...So soft :) But get a new clutch and better tranny fluid.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=503315
There you go, best of luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Color of the fluid doesnt really matter, its tranny fluid we're talking about, not motor oil. To be honest, since your car is all stock, why dont you get a stock oem clutch?? I loved the clutch on the type-S...So soft :) But get a new clutch and better tranny fluid.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=503315
There you go, best of luck.
My friends oil shop does trannys also, so it wasnt the motor oil we checked, but the tranny. Sorry for mis-confusion.

·
Special Olympics Winner
3,031 Posts
i got a exedy stage1 in my car and im loving it !

·
'06 PWP-S
3,013 Posts
yea replace your clutch, I wouldnt really upgrade since you dont have any mods. However, Im running the exedy stg2 and its a sick clutch.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So exedy stg1 or 2 would be a good option for my rsx? I am planning on getting cams, cai, ecu, and an exhaust. Because I just have a straight pipe right now, and Im loving it...but the cops arent.

·
NYC Is In My Veins...
1,690 Posts
i'm runnin exedy stage 2, and its a good clutch, but i think i'll be going with a stage 1 when this one goes. i had plans for the car when i bought it, but i dont think i'll ever make enough power to need a stage 2. i'm tired of chattering at start up too.

·
EJ25 FTW
65,259 Posts
sounds like bad syncros too. They are sorta what lets you engage the gears. try double clutching it in the meantime, but chances are is that that is one of your problems. (i know fast and furious quote would pop up, but thats what you did before the age of syncronized transmissions)

·
NYC Is In My Veins...
1,690 Posts
What do you mean by that?
stage 2 is a puck design, so when you ease off the clutch, sometimes it chatters a bit. its normal, just annoying. its alot worse when the clutch is new, goes away a bit, but never goes away completely

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sounds like bad syncros too. They are sorta what lets you engage the gears. try double clutching it in the meantime, but chances are is that that is one of your problems. (i know fast and furious quote would pop up, but thats what you did before the age of syncronized transmissions)
No gold or any type of flakes in fluid, so dont know. You might be right I dont know.

·
02 Acura RSX BASE
59 Posts
Approx 7 hours labor.(.4 added for pilot bearing) = $560 @ $80 per hour.Chose your shop wisely since you will have no warranty.I give no warranty at my shop for customer supplied parts.BTW it may be a good idea to swap out those synkro rings while the tranny is out?Acura has introduced new coated rings.(less wear and friction)
Otherwise you may be taking that tranny out again.Also do not forget to add the cost of shop supplies and any oil (if not supplied) you are going to use.Shop supplies are almost always mandatory.GL!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Approx 7 hours labor.(.4 added for pilot bearing) = $560 @ $80 per hour.Chose your shop wisely since you will have no warranty.I give no warranty at my shop for customer supplied parts.BTW it may be a good idea to swap out those synkro rings while the tranny is out?Acura has introduced new coated rings.(less wear and friction)
Otherwise you may be taking that tranny out again.Also do not forget to add the cost of shop supplies and any oil (if not supplied) you are going to use.Shop supplies are almost always mandatory.GL!
Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts