Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
i had the j's racing coilover RG( Racing Gear)
very hard, 14f/16r.Same coilover with dc5.

Now i am running oem absorber with tein s.tech.
Very good choice for fast road set up.

Later i will put bc racing coilover,BR Series- Type RA 6f/8r.
save weight and really soft when need

·
Registered
343 Posts
Nice information. Really suprising to see that the usdm si is sprung more aggressively than the itr.. Also that the itr's are so much softer up front. Does honda put more stiffness up front to increase understeer and make the car safer for novices?

So is the ASPEC the same as the itr? and the rsx in the chart is the type-s, correct?

Has anyone messed around with mixing the dampers and springs between models? For example what about running type-s rear springs/shocks with ep3springs/type-s shocks up front?

·
Poetic Finesse
1,457 Posts
The 02-04 ITR spring rates on that table are actually not completely accurate. The spring rates for the 02-04 ITR are as follows:
2.8 ~ 4.6 front/ 3.0 ~ 8.0 rear kgf/mm progressive
Key word here is progressive meaning the more the spring is compressed the higher the rate becomes so in reality the ITR springs are much more aggressive than the stock EP3 or RSX springs. The 02-04 DC5-R suspension is what I currently have on my car and trust me, it's stiff. My wife complains that it's too stiff :giggity:
As far as the A-spec kit and the DC5-R suspension being the same, it's all speculation as honda has never released the spring rates for the A-spec kit. For an EP3 with stock suspension, the RSX stock springs would be an improvement as the rates are higher but as far as the A-spec kit or a DC5-R suspension, you're better off leaving it alone unless you're upgrading the shocks to say, konis or bilsteins. Even then though, according to mustclime, the shocks would still have to be revalved to match the DC5-R or A-spec springs.

·
Registered
343 Posts
For an EP3 with stock suspension, the RSX stock springs would be an improvement as the rates are higher but as far as the A-spec kit or a DC5-R suspension, you're better off leaving it alone unless you're upgrading the shocks to say, konis or bilsteins. Even then though, according to mustclime, the shocks would still have to be revalved to match the DC5-R or A-spec springs.
So you're saying that using stiffer springs with the stock shocks is a bad idea? makes sense. But what about keeping the stock springs and switching out to stiffer shocks though? Would it cause problems? Doing it probably wouldn't make it faster than oem matched shocks/springs... But it would be interesting to try. How do you think it would handle bumps differently?

Idk if my shocks are shot or what but sometimes when I'm on the twisties and go over a crest at 100 or so and come down with full throttle it feels like all 4 corners nearly bottom out, then it goes bounce, bounce, bounce a little bit less each time then settles out. For the first couple bounces it de-weights so much each bounce it's barely getting traction. It'd not so safe. :uhh: Other cars seem to settle out right after away coming down; no bouncing, once the suspension comes back to it's original position it stays there. I presume stiffer shocks would help this...?

·
Poetic Finesse
1,457 Posts
It sounds to me like your shocks are blown. My car does not "bounce" the way that you described. You have the right idea by wanting to upgrade your shocks first but the stock EP3 springs are really not all that great and the RSX springs are only a slight improvement. I would recommend that you look into getting the A-spec kit or if money is tight (like it is for me) look into getting a used DC5-R suspension. I got mine for $300 shipped. It comes fully assembled and the only slight difficulty in installing it is that since it is a DC5 suspension you will need RSX tie rod ends and shave each rear shock bushing about 3mm. The stock EP3 suspension really is horrible in terms of performance and the stock RSX suspension isn't that much better. Throw a A-spec kit or DC5-R suspension and a bigger rear sway bar on there though and it will feel like a completely different car, you'll be amazed how much better the car is in the turns :thumbsup:

·
Registered
343 Posts
It sounds to me like your shocks are blown. My car does not "bounce" the way that you described. You have the right idea by wanting to upgrade your shocks first but the stock EP3 springs are really not all that great and the RSX springs are only a slight improvement. I would recommend that you look into getting the A-spec kit or if money is tight (like it is for me) look into getting a used DC5-R suspension. I got mine for $300 shipped. It comes fully assembled and the only slight difficulty in installing it is that since it is a DC5 suspension you will need RSX tie rod ends and shave each rear shock bushing about 3mm. The stock EP3 suspension really is horrible in terms of performance and the stock RSX suspension isn't that much better. Throw a A-spec kit or DC5-R suspension and a bigger rear sway bar on there though and it will feel like a completely different car, you'll be amazed how much better the car is in the turns :thumbsup:
Good to know. What's so different about the aspec or dc5r suspension compared to the type-s? You mentioned earlier that the type r's had the progressive spring rate.. The type-s don't...? Or are they just damped more aggressively?

I've heard lots of people recommend the bigger rear sway bar. A bigger sway bar just reduces roll, correct?

·
Poetic Finesse
1,457 Posts
The DC5-R and A-spec suspension are tuned more aggressively. The spring rates are higher and the dampers are valved differently. It's a considerably stiffer ride than stock but not to the point where you're breaking your back.

Sway bars are a unique topic, for a street car they're great but for a dedicated race car not so great. It's too much information that has already been said so I highly recommend that you thoroughly read through all the suspension stickies here and on clubrsx. A great one to start off with would be this one:
http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=569763

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you wouldn't mind taking a look at this video, you can see what I'm talking about when it bounces after coming down after the second pass. Because the road flattened out after the downhill, the extra G's kept it from de-weighting like I mentioned before, but you can still see the bounce and hopefully you can extrapolate how it would react in a different situation.

http://youtu.be/vNb9l443Cps

Also the wheel bearings have been noisy lately (listen after the 1st pass) is this normal?

·
Hellafunctionnal
84 Posts
i got some more to add to the list

Bilstein b16pss9 ep3..6.1k f/10k
Std R3.......................6k f/8k r
HSD ..........................9k f/12k r

41 - 51 of 51 Posts