Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Ominous One
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little humor for ya.. i guess the cold weather is affecting my head..

So, when faced with the decision, do I want a dirty car, filled with salt, snow and other elements, should I take this sunny afternoon and get it cleaned, at least a bit?

My car started out filthy, way too much salt for my zaino infused blood.

Off I go to the hand car wash place. Closed. Who woulda thought? Its only 10 degrees out. Sheesh. Wimps. (hint #1)

Since we all know a drive through car wash is a sin, option 2 struck my genuis head. Self wash place.
Off I go; spray the car down with nice high pressure water..and, as Im sure you all know, no brush, I could never strike my car with those scratch infusing brushes of death. The brush was frozen anyway. (hint #2)

Well, im rinsing away, car is looking good, salt is rinsing off.. This isnt so bad!

But wait. Uh oh, running outa time, and the soap is starting to ice onto my car… (hint #3) better jump back to water only.

Now, soap is starting to come off, hope is regained.. But wait, even the high pressure isnt enough for the cold temps..the water is freezing! Ok, move faster; faster motions.. Spraying all over now.. Times almost over, soaps all gone.. Hands are frozen. (good thing I wore my spiffy winter hat! You know, you lose 80% of your body heat from your head!)

The water stops. Car looks ok, bit frozen, but ok. At least the salt is gone. Now, all I have to do is a careful drive home, and Im safe.

I make my trip home, figuring the wind will blow it off (or solidify it even more)..

Well, I made it home. For those of you thinking to follow in my footsteps, heres a tip. Water only makes salt LOOK likes its gone.. Much to my surprise, ive still got a filthy salty car. Oh yeah, its frozen now too. :-/

Lets hope the garage is above freezing. :(

·
Beantown is comin Cali
1,939 Posts
lol live and learn i guess. its supposed to warm up to a hot 30 degrees tomorow so im gonna attempt mine. this is my 2nd winter with my car so i already now what you have discovered.

·
The Ominous One
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill tough it out till spring, then do a full detail, Porter cable, SMR, and zaino.
no fail method for winter abuse
this is a rare exception anyway, car normally doesnt see snow, so i found it funny

·
RSXDriver thrice removed
9,990 Posts
Should've left the car running and cranked the heat up to max, heh.

·
O.G. '02 RSX-S
5,645 Posts
yeah, I am having this same dilema, I go to the self car wash, and once the warm water hits the car, it forms a sheet of ice. I am lost as to how to wash a car in NJ here, and with the folks garage 63 miles away, I can't let the car warm up in the garage so I can dry it off.

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
I took my car to the wash this weekend! I was out with my boyfriend and after much MUCH convincing on his behalf I decided to take it to one of those self car wash things. It's a bit aways from where I live but I may consider going there again.

Couple of things I learned...

Using the brush is not necessary and I had a lot of salt/dirt on my car from a snow storm a few days ago. I used the water, soapy water, some clearcoat protectant spray, etc. No brush was used at any time. The car was super clean just from this. One thing, though, the water is very high pressure so i won't be surprised if I need to use a claybar come spring from bits of dirt being "grinded" into the paint.

Second thing, bring a drying towel next time, *note to self*, literally. I didn't have one b/c I didn't think I was going to go to this self car wash so the car just ended up getting filthy once I took it on to the road. I'm going to carry the Absorber in my trunk, and although I don't particularly like the way it dries, it is easy to store for these purposes. A spare Cali blade may also be useful for drying the windows.

Quick and Easy car wash will do for when the temps are above freezing, the self car wash is a great alternative though. :thumbsup:

All in all my experience was good. It snowed again today so the car is dirty again, but that's life in the North East. :)

·
PEBCAK
547 Posts
damn! thats a cold rsx. got my new car yesterday, and there's slush all over the streets. actually kind of happy to see slush. means its no longer deep freeze last the last week. can't wait for spring and a nice clay bar and wax.

·
oxnard, ca
555 Posts
hearing stories like this make me even happier i live in southern cali!! :D sorry about your car though, lol... im a wuss, anything lower than 60 degrees is too cold for me to wash my car... lol

·
Washington Huskies
3,040 Posts
good stories. i thought i was the only one. i took my car to a self wash place too, but instead of washing it with the brush there, i brought my own bucket and meguiars car wash and wash mit. i sprayed down my car and filled up my bucket. washed down the car and sprayed off the soap. by the time i got back in my car, sheets of ice had formed already. and the drive home didnt help either. but when its not this cold, which it usually isnt, its a great alternative when im up at school and away from the parents home.

·
The Ominous One
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the worst thing about this cold weather is that when it reaches 50, im gonna be sweating, so its gonna take forever for my body to get used to 90deg temps again. damn i hate cold weather!

·
i-vtec.Do you?
1,595 Posts
I once cleaned my car wearing fila shorts and a hoodie and it was 30 something hehe

·
The Ominous One
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so its not the car thats smoking, is it. ;)

·
i-vtec.Do you?
1,595 Posts
All my jeans where getting cleaned and thats all i had i used warm water so my hands wouldnt freeze usually i dont feel cold waist down waist up i feel it maybe cause i have hairy legs

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Welcome to the north east, cant do anythign about the snow and ice except dont drive and keep it garaged. That usually isnt an option though. thanksfully saturday was warm so i got mine done then, but last night it snowed oh well.

·
The Ominous One
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RSXType-Smoking said:
All my jeans where getting cleaned and thats all i had i used warm water so my hands wouldnt freeze usually i dont feel cold waist down waist up i feel it maybe cause i have hairy legs
you must know my friend anthony he writes the same way and goes on and doesnt stop but my legs are hairier than his but he is tall so it is ok even though he doesnt have a rsx its not an rsx its a lexus but his car freezes too weird right?

·
Washington Huskies
3,040 Posts
Leo95SE said:
you must know my friend anthony he writes the same way and goes on and doesnt stop but my legs are hairier than his but he is tall so it is ok even though he doesnt have a rsx its not an rsx its a lexus but his car freezes too weird right?
WHAT?:dontknow:
im sure youre not talking to me...but still

·
The Ominous One
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL

no, obviously wasnt you...

·
O.G. '02 RSX-S
5,645 Posts
EternalBlue said:
I took my car to the wash this weekend! I was out with my boyfriend and after much MUCH convincing on his behalf I decided to take it to one of those self car wash things.

You have to plan with your b/f if you are going to wash your car or not? :dontknow: Why not use the civic during the snow?

·
Pugzministrator
501,919 Posts
i'm finding it more and more pointless to wash my car this winter....i take it to a place and it cost me about $15 to wash it so only a few hours later it is covered with salt and shit all over again. the rate it keeps snowing and subzero temps, its just gonna stay dirty.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts