Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know about color sanding a car? I was at the auto body shop a few days ago and they told me that i have a lot of water spots and the only way to get it off my car is to color sand it. Color sanding will also take out a lot of my minor scratches. The thing is, they are charging around 250 for the whole car to be done. Does anyone know if I can just buy the color sanding paper and just do it myself? LLet me know. Also, is there an easier way (a product or etc) that I can go by to getr the water spots off my car? THanks.

·
Registered
262 Posts
kev1nlam said:
Does anyone know about color sanding a car? I was at the auto body shop a few days ago and they told me that i have a lot of water spots and the only way to get it off my car is to color sand it. Color sanding will also take out a lot of my minor scratches. The thing is, they are charging around 250 for the whole car to be done. Does anyone know if I can just buy the color sanding paper and just do it myself? LLet me know. Also, is there an easier way (a product or etc) that I can go by to getr the water spots off my car? THanks.
Well if they are talking about wet sanding, then no I wouldn't do it youself. Basically they would be taking a layer of the clear coat off, making the clear even taking out the straches and water spots. And how you get water spots that bad they need to be sanded out?

·
Mambo King
105 Posts
ReZZeX said:
Well if they are talking about wet sanding, then no I wouldn't do it youself. Basically they would be taking a layer of the clear coat off, making the clear even taking out the straches and water spots. And how you get water spots that bad they need to be sanded out?
....wet sanding is mainly for scratches and chips that have been filled, now water spots will dissappear with a proper application of mild abbrasive polishes and a layer or 2 of wax.....I do it as a hobby that now makes me $$$$....but just don't trust anyone who says that can do it.....ask for references and ppl to talk to.....I can give you my dentist (Mercedes Benz), sister in law (BMW), my kid a 2004 Black Civic.......and the list goes on...but my motto: In God We Trust.........good luck

·
Registered
262 Posts
HEK said:
....wet sanding is mainly for scratches and chips that have been filled, now water spots will dissappear with a proper application of mild abbrasive polishes and a layer or 2 of wax.....I do it as a hobby that now makes me $$$$....but just don't trust anyone who says that can do it.....ask for references and ppl to talk to.....I can give you my dentist (Mercedes Benz), sister in law (BMW), my kid a 2004 Black Civic.......and the list goes on...but my motto: In God We Trust.........good luck
Yeah I should of mentioned that, you shouldn't need a sanding for water spots, but yes it would get it out...

·
baby buffett
4,805 Posts
its pretty easy to wetsand. 2000grit, keep steady flow of water on the whole time. If you don't know what your doing, I suggest going to a proffesional.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have a lot of water marks because after i got my car fixed at the auto body, i was told not to wax my car for at least 5-6 months or so. SO basically, my car was parked next to sprinklers and stuff. The water in my area is pretty bad, too. Anyways, so all polishes and waxes take off water marks? I was told that wax should not be put on water marks because it will just house them under the coatings. If it is that polish products can take out the water marks, what are some good brands. THanks.

·
Mambo King
105 Posts
kev1nlam said:
i have a lot of water marks because after i got my car fixed at the auto body, i was told not to wax my car for at least 5-6 months or so. SO basically, my car was parked next to sprinklers and stuff. The water in my area is pretty bad, too. Anyways, so all polishes and waxes take off water marks? I was told that wax should not be put on water marks because it will just house them under the coatings. If it is that polish products can take out the water marks, what are some good brands. THanks.

......they're so many brands of polishes...Meguieres is my favorite but you need to do it right a good PC (porter cable polisher).....if you buy one of those buffres from Wallmart, they don't work to get rid off but just to cover them up....you know I wish all you guys that had issue with paint learned from lets say......http://www.autopia.org/forums/register.php

I'm not advertising their link but maybe you can read the valuable information available and start a new hobby which will make you a few dollars and make you have the sharpest looking car in the neighborhood... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.