Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
*BOOSTED* Lead Foot
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After running with the 60-1 hifi turbo from CN, I noticed that the boost starts to spool around 3Krpm's and is full boost by 5K rpm's.

I was under the impression that it would start to spool about 5krpm's...I'd say that this turbo spools just a little later than the t3-t4 hybrid from CN.

·
*BOOSTED* Lead Foot
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
absolutely!:) I just want to clear up the misconception should anyone care:)

·
Out on bail
3,816 Posts
hrmm, im gettin stage 1 in a couple of months. how much more does the 60-1 cost, and is it worth gettin if im gonna stay stage 1 forever you think?

·
*BOOSTED* Lead Foot
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're staying with stage 1 forever, I'd just go with the T3/T4...one of the main reasons I got the 60-1 is because I wanted closer to 300 whp at 7psi like Bip Bip:D

·
Registered
419 Posts
Aft3rburn said:
If you're staying with stage 1 forever, I'd just go with the T3/T4...one of the main reasons I got the 60-1 is because I wanted closer to 300 whp at 7psi like Bip Bip:D
wait you spool fully at 5k??? thats kind of high dont you think?

·
*BOOSTED* Lead Foot
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with 2 friends (550+ lbs) in my car beating a 3000GT VR-4, and a Honda S2000 that was trying for all it was worth, it's fine with me!:)
I think full boost actually hits after 4krpms...I'll have to pay attention to the boost gauge...I've been paying attention mostly to the A/F gauge.

·
Registered
335 Posts
well you shoulda known it won't "start" to spool at 5k, that's a little silly.

you could put a windmill in you exhaust line and it'll "spool" below 5 k.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Is your turbo same as my? My is Turbonetics 60-1 HI-FI Ball-Barring Turbo ( 2 3/4" inlet, 2" discharge) if its not... i wonder if the ball-barring will spool faster.....

Here is a pix..

·
Registered
335 Posts
depends on the bearing friction and wheel weights etc but generally yes, ball bearing turbos spool faster, absorb the increased pressure of the spinning wheel and keep the fins in line :D

·
*BOOSTED* Lead Foot
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes, I have the 60-1 hifi...you must be a pretty big guy TomRSX-S! you make that turbo look SMALL! hehehehehehe

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Aft3rburn said:
yes, I have the 60-1 hifi...you must be a pretty big guy TomRSX-S! you make that turbo look SMALL! hehehehehehe

Lol..... 6'0 210lbs.... i think its the angle of the camera..... is your turbo ball barring?

·
*BOOSTED* Lead Foot
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have no clue...how would I know? I noticed that on the exhaust side where you can see the blades, the center peice of mine right on the middle shaft is ground down a little, where yours is looking like it hasn't been touched...supposedly it's been VSR balanced to 2 @ 58,000rpms...whatever that means...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
u would know if u took your turbo out.... and spinned it.. if it spins freely and u hear clicking its ball barring... when CN gave me the turbo they said that I was the only one with the ball barring so far.. but who knows....

·
*BOOSTED* Lead Foot
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ahh ok...it just made a really really high pitched metal "ringing" sound when I spun it by hand..so my guess is that it's not BB

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Aft3rburn said:
After running with the 60-1 hifi turbo from CN, I noticed that the boost starts to spool around 3Krpm's and is full boost by 5K rpm's.

I was under the impression that it would start to spool about 5krpm's...I'd say that this turbo spools just a little later than the t3-t4 hybrid from CN.
Well, most turbos will begin to spool around that RPM, but it won't make full boost until much later when your engine actually generates enough exhaust energy to propel the turbine.

My TD04 Mitsubishi turbo will spool at 2200 RPM(literally spooling, making just a couple pounds of boost), but it will not reach full boost until a little after 3200 RPM.

You also have to remember that before your VTEC cams come on, you are supplying very little exhaust energy to the turbine.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Aft3rburn said:
:laughing: I prefer the 60-1hifi because of the traction. BTW, in my case full boost is achieved right around 4500 - 5000 rpm's.

·
Bitch where's my Money!
844 Posts
do you guys start boosting when you like 70+mph in 6th......i've been driving slower on the highway just to keep it out of possative pressure

·
Registered
438 Posts
You can be crusing at 90mph and not be in boost. You just gotta work the throttle right. You'll probably be right around 0 when u accelerate, but once you get to the desired speed, just let off the throttle until ur still in vacuume but maintaining your speed.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
k20a2_power said:
do you guys start boosting when you like 70+mph in 6th......i've been driving slower on the highway just to keep it out of possative pressure
Who would've though that 6th gear could be used to pass other cars. :laughing: It's quite comfortable knowing that you have enough power to accelerate in 6th without having to downshift.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts