Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When changing brake pads on the RSX is it required or recommended to open the bleeder when compressing the piston. I hear that it can damage master cylinder or the ABS unit in some cars if you don't. But I am not sure if that applies to Hondas.

The service manual makes no mention of opening the bleeder valve when compressing the piston for pad replacement, it simple states to compress it. I would think if it was an issue they would mention it.

Obviously you will want to make sure not to overflow the reservoir if it was topped off already before compressing.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I replaced mine, I didn't open the bleeder but I should have. I had 4 pistons to compress each side and that was a pain in the ass. Lesson well learned for me lol. I will definitely next time
Did you overflow the reservoir? or had to keep taking some out so it wouldn't overflow?

·
how can I be a member
209 Posts
I wouldn't open the bleeder, that sounds like more hassle than helpful. Just remove the MC cap and watch the level as you press the piston in. Easy.

If you open the bleeder screw you will have to bleed the brakes.

·
I don't know you
16,611 Posts
I wouldn't open the bleeder, that sounds like more hassle than helpful. Just remove the MC cap and watch the level as you press the piston in. Easy.

If you open the bleeder screw you will have to bleed the brakes.
Exactly.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the front brakes of a 2002 type-s

Which caliper slide pin goes on the top and which on the bottom? They look the same other than one is a darker color and one is more gold color. They are different part numbers but I didnt pay attention when taking them out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts