Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at this Comptech header: http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/210050.html (not the race header, too much of a hassle).

This is a newb question - but is there any cons to buying a header? I have read about rattling heard from inside/outside the car? I don't know if this is just with race headers or what.. If I buy a Type S, I think that my original upgrades would be i/h/e. My current plan is:

Injen CAI
Comptech Header (above)
Greddy Evo 2 Exhaust

To me this looks like a pretty reliable and compatible set up. I know the least about headers though. Any thoughts?

·
Auto-x whore
5,326 Posts
I just got the comptech shorty on this past monday. This weekend I am going to the track to see by how much it helped me. It isnt much louder, but it does pull harder. I havent heard any noise yet, or any complaints from my two friends that both has this header.

·
Auto-x whore
5,326 Posts
The build quality is beautiful, and the bends are much better designed than stock.

·
Registered
715 Posts
wow at last a comptech LEGAL HEADER!

·
Time for some yum yums...
344 Posts
Nice looking header. Anybody have a before and after dyno?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
ƒ£‡Þ-Ю‡ƒ† said:
wow at last a comptech LEGAL HEADER!
That header has been out sense BEFORE the race header. I believe you can find it for a lot cheaper then 500 bucks. From every dyno I have seeing, those "shorty headers" arent really worth it.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
APEXiTypes said:
That header has been out sense BEFORE the race header. I believe you can find it for a lot cheaper then 500 bucks. From every dyno I have seeing, those "shorty headers" arent really worth it.
For around $200 and with a high flow cat yes they are!!

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
I had a Comptech header installed this week by Comptech itself at their facility in El Dorado Hills, CA. They don't claim a gain of more than 4-6 whp and that sounds about right.

The Type-S stock header and the Comptech header look very much alike. Both have a divider plate welded in, for sort of a "modified 4-2-1" arrangement. However, while the stock header is a bit crude and rough, the Comptech header is beautifully finished. The Comptech guy who installed mine said they tried to make the four pipes of equal length, smoothen the bends, and open things up more.

The Comptech (and the DC) does not use the stock heatshield, so you'll have that left over after the install. I was initially worried about getting more heat under the hood, but Comptech said they found no additional heat load from their header.

Between the Comptech Icebox and the Comptech header, the car sounds a little bit throatier and pulls a bit harder, especially at the high end. No rattles, noises, or anything. This is quality stuff.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Comptech builds GORGEOUS headers. Quality is the best I've seen to date. Performance wise...I dunno about the legal header. Wasn't all that impressed with the test drive of a Comptech header equipped car. :(

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
LASI02 said:
What about shorty headers in general? Is it even worth the cash for the improvements?
That depends on how you look at it. The stock Type-S header is pretty good and even a premium shorty header like the Comptech can't do much to improve on it. The pipes are smoother and a bit thicker, the lengths more equal and so on, but that only translates into perhaps 4-6 whp and a tiny bit more growl.

I didn't get the Comptech header because I expected great gains. I got it because I love to have a Comptech header under the hood. It's like paying for a real brand name watch instead of using a cheap one from Target or Walmart. Both tell the time about the same, but one makes you feel good, too.

·
Auto-x whore
5,326 Posts
I love my comptech header. Now I know it isnt going to make a huge difference, but neither does exhausts or some sri's, but people still buy them. I have not gotten to test it out on the track yet, but there is more pull in the car now, and it sounds very nice. The header is built much better than the stock one, the welds, are much cleaner and the pipes are alot straighter. It is probably lighter also.

·
Tarmac meister
5,640 Posts
SaxinRSX-s said:
Nice looking header. Anybody have a before and after dyno?
with comptech icebox,shorty header and comptech exhaust, I was able to put down 175 HP to the wheel. at the time of the dyno, my rsx had 20000 miles. It's not kick in the pants HP but mid-range has been greatly improved.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
RsxVengeance said:
with comptech icebox,shorty header and comptech exhaust, I was able to put down 175 HP to the wheel. at the time of the dyno, my rsx had 20000 miles. It's not kick in the pants HP but mid-range has been greatly improved.
What was your baseline?

·
Back in Black
10,777 Posts
MmmotorNutz said:
What was your baseline?
I would be curious as well. But I just wanted to point out that those mods could very well have improved his entire powerband versus his peak power. Before and after dynos would be great.

Unfortunately all of those mods put down minimal power alone. Perhaps all 3 give some 3 to maybe 10 horses peak power depending on the baseline.

But most importantly; he's set up for cams or FI with much improved breathing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts