Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 212 Posts

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sskhimura said:
Is it really okay to use the 550 injectors, that comptech prodvides on their website, for the 3.3 or 3.1 inch pullies, or do I have to get 650s? I'm asking becasue I did search all around, and it seems to me that the answer really isn't too clear. Some people are saying its okay to run those injectors provided by comptech for the comptech SC, and some people are saying that it will be just like the jackson racing SC and will require you to get 650 injectors if you want to run 3.3 or smaller pully. Any information regarding this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I can tell you with great authority because I have been testing the Comptech-modified injectors for Comptech itself for almost 8 months now that the Comptech injectors have plenty of capacity for the 3.3 inch pulley. I have yet to see more than 80-85% duty cycle max. My guess is that they are even good enough for the 3.1 inch pulley.

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
dliggins said:
Quick question. After reading acouple of times, I didn't see the gass mileage decreaes when using the Stage 2. With the larger capacity injectors does the mileage decrease drastically?
I keep meticulate tab on my gas mileage. I averaged 26.5 mpg in mixed driving NA. With Comptech Stage 1 that dropped by only 1-1.5 mpg to a bit over 25mpg. Stage 2 had almost no impact and I still averaged just over 25 mpg. For me, switching to the 3.3-inch pulley brought a significant drop to maybe 22 mpg or so, even if I drive very conservativey. Comptech noted that with the 3.3 inch pulley the car goes into boost much more often, which means it'd hit the boost fuel columns much more often. I have not seen that in my datalogs, but I definitely see lower mileage.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Dang, so the 3.3 inch pully decrases your gas milage a good bit? I wanted to go with the 3.1 inch pully, but then I kept reading about peple having injector size problems with that size, atleast with the jackson racing SC, So I decided to go with the 3.3 inch pully and maybe upgrade later depending on how the car reacted and lasted on that size. I guess this brings me to ask a question, "Is going from stage two to stage three just a matter of switching pullies, provided you have the modified comptech injectors? Or is there something else that should be done also?" Also, how much more noticble is the hp from the 3.3 inch pully compared to the stage two, I think its a 3.6 inch or something..not sure. Thanks

·
BMW'ing it up!
2,141 Posts
Sskhimura said:
Dang, so the 3.3 inch pully decrases your gas milage a good bit? I wanted to go with the 3.1 inch pully, but then I kept reading about peple having injector size problems with that size, atleast with the jackson racing SC, So I decided to go with the 3.3 inch pully and maybe upgrade later depending on how the car reacted and lasted on that size. I guess this brings me to ask a question, "Is going from stage two to stage three just a matter of switching pullies, provided you have the modified comptech injectors? Or is there something else that should be done also?" Also, how much more noticble is the hp from the 3.3 inch pully compared to the stage two, I think its a 3.6 inch or something..not sure. Thanks

Listen gas mileage wont charge horribly if you are not racing the car.. i have a 3.3 pulley and often get 320 miles to a tank when highway driving... No problems at all... Yes 3.3 is a nice upgrade from 3.6 provided you have the intake and exhaust parts taken care of.. And yes if you have Kpro, you simply need to change pulleys and retune for the smaller pulley and you're set (assuming the injectors hold out)..

The problems you mentioned with people going to smaller pulleys on the jackson racing kit was with the 550 injectors not the kit/pulley. Those RC 550 injectors just dont have a good spray pattern.. The 650's are much better (which is what i use).

·
Registered
358 Posts
Wow, seriously quick reply, so thanks. Also I looked at the vid of your car, while you're driving it from the inside going through some gears. It sure does haul some serious ass. But what I want to know is how you're getting around 280whp from just 7psi? Is that right, I think thats what it says. Were you flooring it all the way through the gears, or being sorta conservative?

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
i have the 3.3 pulley and while driving conservatively i get 26mpg. of course i can't resist the urge for too long so i usually end up with 24-25. the key to daily driving and saving gas is to keep it out of boost. i have the same vac/boost gauge as conrad and many others. daily driving, i don't exceed 10 inches of vacuum.

·
Registered
358 Posts
conradb212 said:
I can tell you with great authority because I have been testing the Comptech-modified injectors for Comptech itself for almost 8 months now that the Comptech injectors have plenty of capacity for the 3.3 inch pulley. I have yet to see more than 80-85% duty cycle max. My guess is that they are even good enough for the 3.1 inch pulley.

So there duty cycle is fine, I get that part. But I've read something about the spray pattern of the 550 injectors, is that okay also with the injectors?

·
BMW'ing it up!
2,141 Posts
i have a 2005 k20z1 so my i make different power levels at different psi when compares to a 2004 k20a2. Yes i am at 6.8 psi however im using a 3.3 pulley to generate that 6.8 psi...

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
the spray pattern of the 550's is inferior to that of the 650 or 750's. it's a toss up whether or not it works perfectly for you. I have the 550's and it works just fine.

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I added a scan of the CTSC CARB exemption sticker to the FAQ.

·
JDM in the Werks
816 Posts
Do comptech or any company have a SC for the 5 speed manual transmission base rsx? Thanks.

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
....not that i'm aware of. not a kit that officially works. i do think there's a base that put in a typeS TB and have gotten it to fit in with some cutting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there any forced induction for non-Type S??

I cant belive that there is no turbo or supercharger for a non type s. Is there anything I can do, or place to look?? I would love any help.

·
2005 MM RSX TYPE S
48 Posts
Comptech Stage 1 questions

OK I have a few questions about the Comptech Stage 1 Supercharger.
I am a supercharger NOOB so I am sorry for that upfront.

1. How does a supercharger work?

2. I have heard tons of people talk about super chargers, and say you only boost at high RPM's. I thought that the supercharger boosted all the time, and the higher you reved it that more you got is that true?

3. Some one told me you only boost when you floor the gas, because of a blow off valve, is that true?

4. Does it wear your engine out faster?

5. How does it effect your MPG?

Thanks

·
BMW'ing it up!
2,141 Posts
1) we have roots style superchargers which have blades which blows the air into the intake manifold briven belt the engine belt

2) Kinda true... Superchargers generally make more boost at high rpms and less boost down low. We also have a bypass valve which stops boost when not on the gas...

3) see above

4) Probably, but with good tuning the engine should still last 100K+

5) Since boost is bypassed most of the time, MPG is pretty good... Not a big factor to consider. MPG is really quite good

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
StevenC said:
1) we have roots style superchargers which have blades which blows the air into the intake manifold briven belt the engine belt

2) Kinda true... Superchargers generally make more boost at high rpms and less boost down low. We also have a bypass valve which stops boost when not on the gas...

3) see above

5) Since boost is bypassed most of the time, MPG is pretty good... Not a big factor to consider. MPG is really quite good

Longer than that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
StevenC said:

3) see above

So, would you consider the stage 1 kit with their ECU reflash a "good" tune? I actually just bought a 2002 type s with a Comptech supercharger and its the base kit with their reflash. Just wanted to know the reliability of their tune or if I should do something else.

41 - 60 of 212 Posts