Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent some time checking out all the side vynils at the decalgirl.com site. With Photoshop it's easy to pick one and then see what it looks like on your car via layers.

The big question, of course, is: do vynils make sense at all? In "Need for Speed: Underground," which I am addicted to, vynils are a big part of overall body modding. While some look tacky, others look pretty darn good. So a bunch of questions come up:

1) Do many people do them? I really haven't seen a lot of pics/threads here dealing with side decals (red out, yes, but not sides).

2) It seems like a great thing to have visuals that you can just peel off again if you don't like them or want a change. But can you just pull them off?

3) Do they leave marks on the paint if you take them off again? If so, how quickly?

4) As for installation, my guess is they do go on relatively easily, and if you follow instructions and are handy they probably look nice and fairly professional. True?

5) decalgirl.com just makes it look so enticing. Huge selection of styles and you can pick any color and any size, all at a reasonable price. Anyone have experince with them?

6) Is this altogether a stupid idea and should we leave the smooth lines and surfaces of our superbly designed automobile alone? (Well, it really isn't THAT superbly styled. I think the fairly basic styling of the RSX is to some degree an acquired taste.)

7) Will side decals be an automatic invitation to every friendly police cruiser out there to stop you and take a closer look?

·
Registered
34,829 Posts
1. few leave vinyl on permanently. most use it only for shows
2. i dont know for a fact but i would assume you could just peel it off
3. it probably will leave a mark but nothing a little goo gone cane take care of
4. should be easy! just lay it on your car and peel it off carefully!
5. some have bought red vinyl from them for their taillights. hit up rsxsav69 for more info on them.
6. most people will tell you to leave decals OFF your car but its really up to you. different people have different tastes.
7. i wouldnt think so unless the decals say something like, "hey you fucking pig, come pull my ricer ass over" LOL :laughing: j/k. but no, they shouldnt. its a persons driving that gets people pulled over, not declas on their car.

hope that somewhat helps :thumbsup:

·
Old Skool
1,345 Posts
conradb212 said:
I spent some time checking out all the side vynils at the decalgirl.com site. With Photoshop it's easy to pick one and then see what it looks like on your car via layers.

The big question, of course, is: do vynils make sense at all? In "Need for Speed: Underground," which I am addicted to, vynils are a big part of overall body modding. While some look tacky, others look pretty darn good. So a bunch of questions come up:

1) Do many people do them? I really haven't seen a lot of pics/threads here dealing with side decals (red out, yes, but not sides).

2) It seems like a great thing to have visuals that you can just peel off again if you don't like them or want a change. But can you just pull them off?

3) Do they leave marks on the paint if you take them off again? If so, how quickly?

4) As for installation, my guess is they do go on relatively easily, and if you follow instructions and are handy they probably look nice and fairly professional. True?

5) decalgirl.com just makes it look so enticing. Huge selection of styles and you can pick any color and any size, all at a reasonable price. Anyone have experince with them?

6) Is this altogether a stupid idea and should we leave the smooth lines and surfaces of our superbly designed automobile alone? (Well, it really isn't THAT superbly styled. I think the fairly basic styling of the RSX is to some degree an acquired taste.)

7) Will side decals be an automatic invitation to every friendly police cruiser out there to stop you and take a closer look?

People ususally only use side vinyls only for the car shows are the races. It's acutally not as easy to put on and take off as you would think, the more bigger the vinyl pieces are and more intricate design, the more difficult it is to put on and take off, you have to be careful of bubbles as well as stretching it too far because of the curves on the body, ie moldings, door handles, ets. Taking them off is another thing, the longer it is on your car the harder it is to take them off. They stick to the paint really well and you ahve to be careful that you're clear coat won't peel off as well with they vinyl. Also the longer it's on your car the more the chances you'll notice the faded parts of the vehicle that wasn't covered by the vinyl. If you ask me they are nice sometimes but it's not worth the work to leave it on for only a couple months, and also you'll get tired of it after a week

·
Aaron
1,131 Posts
In my opinion some vinyl can look nice... but, I like the OEM look so what I used isn't all that exciting. Check out the link in my profile (my cardomain site) and you can see what I did (it's on page 2).

·
Satin Silver RSX 5sp
3,923 Posts
I have side vinyl on mine and I like it. It took about 3hrs to put on and we used a heat gun to seal it on. To get it off you would have to use a heat gun though or you would risk damaging your paint.

I put it on for shows as I felt it needed something because it looked to plain. I have had it on now since July maybe. My car is silver so I don't think fading will be an issue, however I have been wrong before.

·
What The Problem Is?
9,176 Posts
FeeD_BaK said:
I have side vinyl on mine and I like it. It took about 3hrs to put on and we used a heat gun to seal it on. To get it off you would have to use a heat gun though or you would risk damaging your paint.

I put it on for shows as I felt it needed something because it looked to plain. I have had it on now since July maybe. My car is silver so I don't think fading will be an issue, however I have been wrong before.
;pictures:

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
conrad, ive been reading most of your posts since you joined, and you seem really inquisitive, and usually ask really good questions. This is the first post of yours that has dissapointed me. I didnt even bother reading all your questions in this post. Please don't ruin your sexy NHB car, with the likes of fast and Furious side vinyls.

·
Aaron
1,131 Posts
I agree with Dallas. Most vinyl looks like ass. I like the OEM look and I like the decals on the ITR so I wanted something along those lines. No hidious 2Slow2Lame graphics on RSXs please

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DallasTypeS said:
conrad, ive been reading most of your posts since you joined, and you seem really inquisitive, and usually ask really good questions. This is the first post of yours that has dissapointed me. I didnt even bother reading all your questions in this post. Please don't ruin your sexy NHB car, with the likes of fast and Furious side vinyls.
Thanks... and sorry for disappointing you with this one. I guess it is because I am a journalist and editor by profession, and always want to look at every angle of a project or product. For example, I had no intentions of adding a wing to my car, but now I really like it.

I am most likely not going to add vynil, but it was fun to use Photoshop to see what my car would look like with it, and that is when the questions came up. All I have right now is an innocuous little "Comptech" sticker in the side windows. I actually liked "The Fast and the Furious" (the first one anyway) though I am a good deal older than the street racer crowd in it.

·
Aaron
1,131 Posts
granted, some would, don't dwell on them. Even though I'm not a fan of vinyl, well-done graphics are still interesting and I'd still like to see

·
hello!!!
708 Posts
Vinyl will fade as well after a while just an FYI.. I had some racing stripes a while back in High school on a RX-7 and in about a year it was fading...

·
Satin Silver RSX 5sp
3,923 Posts
ok here is one, its a little hard to see but oh well. I would take one now but its all apart doing the headlight mod and tails etc. I will take a pic when its done in a week or so.

Flame away if you wish.

EDIT: It was free as we already had the vinyl, so I had no colour choice. I would have liked a gun metal ish colour so it wasn't so bold....oh well

·
Satin Silver RSX 5sp
3,923 Posts
Phoenix80 said:
No flames from me, thanks for putting up the picture.
Thanks much appreciated. I don't like cutting others cars up either, they have put just as much work in it as I have. As long as they like it go for it.

I like to be different.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts