Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 530 Posts

·
I don't know you
16,611 Posts
This is why you need some custom mount fabbing done or welding a piece to the frame. This is a base 5speed mount in his base auto chassis:

the base 5 speed has a piece of metal welded there on the chassis so the mount can bolt up. next time i have my airbox out i will snap a pic of mine (base 5 speed) and edit this post to show both.

and let's keep the stupid ass bickering to a minimum, this thread should be stickied and used as a resource for many years

·
From B to K
670 Posts
Hah! Where the hell was this thread a couple of days ago and why didn't the search function bring this up? :)...Nice write up, I could have used this when I was looking at an Auto, but instead got a 5spd.

·
Registered
884 Posts
With the money spent doing a base to type s swap, I would just do a k24 frank since it might even be cheaper if you use the k24a1.....and a k20a2 head.......that's just me tho haha, but I'd still like to know what I'd need for it, and that sort of thing.........but that's way too much for me right now..........

but a good write-up, thanks

·
asdf
2,373 Posts
don't forget to swap out the nasty ugly black plastic side skirts if you don't want a base model look :) as well as front rotors ;)..but i wont take this off topic good thread.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I got an auto too, just wondering, does anyone have a comparison pic to show what a Type-S or 5 speed motor mount bracket looks like. I wanna go into a swap later down the road. Idk if welding a custom piece on would be as reliable as straight from the factory that might just actually part of the frame... Or is this part separately welded on at the factory and the honda parts store sell them too?

·
I don't know you
16,611 Posts
I got an auto too, just wondering, does anyone have a comparison pic to show what a Type-S or 5 speed motor mount bracket looks like. I wanna go into a swap later down the road. Idk if welding a custom piece on would be as reliable as straight from the factory that might just actually part of the frame... Or is this part separately welded on at the factory and the honda parts store sell them too?
it looks like its part of the frame, but if you look closely you see they welded a hunk of metal to the frame. 8-12 weld points iirc. a good welder/fabber can make it just as reliable for you. i highly doubt honda will sell the piece that is welded to the frame. like i said, i will have pics of mine up at some point, at which point you will have the side by side comparison.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
it looks like its part of the frame, but if you look closely you see they welded a hunk of metal to the frame. 8-12 weld points iirc. a good welder/fabber can make it just as reliable for you. i highly doubt honda will sell the piece that is welded to the frame. like i said, i will have pics of mine up at some point, at which point you will have the side by side comparison.
Then I still have hope, when I read that I thought I was screwed if a custom one was gonna be too weak to hold onto high power goals...

Get those pics in faster lol

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

It's the same. Type S and Manual that is. This is what it looks like in a regular manual 5-speed/type-S (pic courtesy of Reborn)

Honda will NOT mail you/give you that bracket. You cannot buy it separately. In order to get that bracket direct from Honda, you will have to buy the ENTIRE driverside frame rail.

Attachments

·
Satin Silver SS
7,069 Posts
^^^ Shut up dude your a fucking hater!!! Last time I checked the thread said "Converting your Base Auto to Manual/Type-S/etc".............I must've not seen that correctly, Hmm, My vision might be off but that looks like it says Converting your Base Auto to Manual/Type-S/etc, If it does say that than let me know....BUT IN THE MEAN WHILE GOOD JOB REMIX!!! POST PICTURES!!!
wtf...:rotfl::laughat:

he did not put a k20a in there buddy. its still an a3. so no, he did not convert anything to a type s.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
everybody's been telling me to avoid doing a swap. not only is it more expensive, tedious and tiresome but the car is never the same.
Well when you get deep into details and swap from a A2 to an K24 it's not ever going to be the the same. You yank out the transmission and start switching gears, there goes the factory-ness and it won't be the same either. Once heavy modding begins it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
everybody's been telling me to avoid doing a swap. not only is it more expensive, tedious and tiresome but the car is never the same.
It's your car. Stop listening to others. I highly doubt there have been many auto owners that actually went through with this conversion. Any work you do on your car can be tedious and tiresome, period. How much you pay depends on how good you are at shopping around. The second you start modifying your car, it never is the same anyways.

21 - 40 of 530 Posts