Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

521 - 531 of 531 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Update on my 02 Auto Base to Manual:

So I've decided to go with a k24a2 + 6 speed lsd trans. Already got the motor, waiting on the trans & all other associated parts, motor mounts & a bunch of other misc items. I as well have a list of what's needed/cost. I want to finish it so I could post up what it cost me in the end. I recommend when doing this that you make sure you have time/space for it. My garage is a mess..

I'm really excited to finish this project. It's my most challenging one to date due to time/money, luckily it's not my daily, yet..

Feel free to pm me if you guys have any questions. I'm currently working on converting my engine harness to manual as well. I expect to be done by spring, maybe May 2016. :fistbump:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey Guys,its been a while since i posted here. i will update it these days.

After the Automatic to Manual swap my speedo dont work.
You guys know which wires i have to run to the VSS ?

Cause i looked up on a K20a2 EP3 engine,but the wiring colors are different.

Would be awesome if anybody can send a picture or just tell me the wiring colors and position which goes straight on to the vehicle speed sensor.
thanks a lot in advance

·
Bitter Old Hybrid Member
93 Posts
^^ having the same issue with no speedo working in 5spd converted base rsx w/K24A1. VSS looks fine as does the wiring at the connector. No VSS DTC either.

I have a Columbus moment story to share regarding an auto to 5spd converted 02 base rsx that I'm borrowing from a friend. He lent it to me in lieu of diagnosing a few issues it has.

Vehicle Deets:
02 RSX base (originally auto), converted to 5spd using the following:
EP3 ecu
Ktuned immobilizer bypass
EP3 trans
6spd Type-S engine & underdash harness w/S cluster
K24A1 long block
Base RSX complete intake manifold & t/b

Issues:
CEL for P0135 (heater circuit on primary 02)
Bad low end throttle response under 3000rpm
Hesitation in higher RPM range
Speedo doesn't work

Story Mode:
After picking the car up, right off the bat, driving this thing was horrible. It had some terrible ass throttle response issue where it would bog really bad if you didn't rev it up & over 3000rpm to get the car going. It would hesitate in the higher rpm range too. This kind of reminded me of a typical k-series TPS issue sorta-kinda. So, I dealt with this for about a week before actually jumping in and troubleshooting shit (lazy? yes). First off, I did the usual googling around the symptoms because RSX/EP/02+ vehicles aren't my fortay (older chassis's are ie. EG/EG/EK/DC2 B & K swapped).

Started off with the CEL light via OBD scanner tool. It was only throwing a CEL for P0135 --> 02 bank-1 02 heater circuit. I picked up a known good used but working K-series primary 02 from an EP3 Si. Swapped it out, reset the ecu, CEL still remains. Weird, I think there might be a wiring issue with the 02 somewhere; gonna try another 02 later. I'm told and read that these K-series era cars are notorious for running like shit when the primary/wideband 02 goes out as the ecu fully relies on this sensor (makes sense). This is only the heater circuit tho, so it shouldn't be THAT bad. I wound off blowing off the 02 sensor issue for the time being.

Onto other things; narrowed it down to a couple things to troubleshoot with the intake system - throttlebody issue/tps perhaps or tps wiring or the complete Base intake manifold is to blame.

I swapped the wiring around at the TPS plug (swapping the 2 outer wires around for proper polarity being that this car has a Type-S engine harness and actuates the TPS reverse that of a base RSX t/b). reset ecu. DIDN'T WORK. Still boggy under load under 3000rpm. Ok.

Onto the Base plastic manifold.
Now, I dunno why the base rsx manifold was reused on this K24 swap instead of the stock K24 RAA manifold; perhaps because the Base throttlebody not bolting up to the RAA manifold (without the aide of an tb adapter plate) or he simply didn't have a complete RAA intake manifold with this engine when purchased. Whatever. Upon inspection, none of the secondary runner sensors were hooked up or being used at all, obviously bcuz a Type-S engine harness is being used and none of the base RSX manifold sensor wiring garbage is available (that really made me go HMMMM). Nor does the EP3 ecu control any of that plastic manifold junk either. Perhaps we need a PRB intake manifold (since thats what the EP3 ecu is programmed for). So my friend supplied me with one. Installed it reusing the Base RSX TB -- mind you I was under the assumption K20A3 t/b's were all the same between base rsx and EP3 Si (NOPE. I'll get back to this soon ie. profound Columbus moment coming up). Had to buy an A2/A3-Si throttlebody gasket being that the Base manifold has its own rubber TB gasket. Installed gasket, de-routed coolant lines coming into the TB off the coolant pipe (cuz that shits annoying and ill required for Socal life). Reset ecu, fingers crossed, fired up car and it ran WORSE. LOL. It barely idled and upon neutral rev up stumbled really really bad and engine would eventually die. I went for a test drive and getting the RPM's over 3500rpm the car felt GREAT! way way better than with the Base manifold (as expected). Problem is, halfway through the test drive, the engine fell on its face and would just die. Zero throttle response kind like if your battery went dead mid-drive. Peg legged it back home and sat there thinking about life and the universe.... "why me" "fml" type stuff ya know? Pulled off the TB just to see wtf is wrong with this combination of parts and suddenly realized something....

Columbus Moment:
The base RSX TB has its own MAP sensor vacuum port, different than that of a Type-S or EP3 throttlebody. Base RSX TB is specifically designed for the plastic intake manifold is the take away from this. I have comparison photos that I'll post up later. When using the base TB on a PRB manifold, the MAP port is completely blocked off giving the ecu probably zero or very little MAP feedback, especially in higher RPM's hence the vehicle shut off I experienced on the test drive. I think it was a safe mode thing that kicked in, but the CEL did not throw a MAP code or anything relating to intake system parts, you can see why this gets annoying. I picked up an EP3 Si throttlebody from my friend, installed it and guess what? RUNS LIKE A CHAMP. Idles perfect and revs up like normal. Though, there is still some hesitation I'm experiencing but that low end bog IS GONE GONE GONE. So, turns out you cannot use a Base RSX TB on anything but a Base RSX manifold for the simple fact of the different MAP sensor vacuum port it has. You could technically dremmel a vacuum channel on the PRB's throttle body flange side to give it a normal style vaccum feed, but f*ck that noise.

Left over troubleshooting issues: Primary 02, higher RPM hesitation, Non-working Speedo.
I have a feeling the hesitation could be due to the EP3 K20A3 programming not being sufficient enough for a K24 use in combination with the 02 CEL perhaps or K24 VTC gear related (25 degree vs. 50)

So, for those of you guys reusing your Base RSX TB on any manifold besides the gay plastic manifold it comes on and are having sub 3000RPM throttle response issues, this is probably the source of your issues.

Thanks for reading and I'm unsure if this a documented thing, go ahead and blast me if it is =)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know all the ecu pinouts for a base manual? There is a way to complete this swap without swapping to a manual engine harness and I am currently done with the swap aside from the fact that my speedo doesn’t work because of the auto harness, I need to figure out how to get that wired up without swapping harnesses, any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Does anyone know all the ecu pinouts for a base manual? There is a way to complete this swap without swapping to a manual engine harness and I am currently done with the swap aside from the fact that my speedo doesn’t work because of the auto harness, I need to figure out how to get that wired up without swapping harnesses, any help would be greatly appreciated
https://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=1132617

This information is in the service manual. I suggest downloading a copy from this forum if you don't have it already.

·
Wiring is <3
530 Posts
Pin out for the VSS is spliced between ecu A-18 and the c101 - 3 (large gray connector). One signal for the ecu and the other signal to the dash. That's how the manuals are wired so first thing to check if the auto is doing the same.

You count from the rear of connector (where wires on inserted into) and tab facing up.

521 - 531 of 531 Posts