Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my coolant has been leaking for about 2 months but I just can’t find where it’s coming from. I’ve just been topping off in the mean time. Since I couldn’t find it and it was leaking under the radiator traveling through the frame I assumed and hoped it was just a cracked oem radiator so I upgraded to a Mishimoto. I installed it correctly there were no rips or tears in any hoses, the reservoir is fine, the water pump isn’t leaking coolant and I don’t know where it’s coming from. Today I got that dye kit so I can see a glow where it’s coming from with a led light, I added another gallon with the dye and once again it was leaking a lot it leaks after a 5 minute drive on either the driver side or passenger side it leaks a lot from both sides but only 1 at a time never leaking a bunch on both sides. The leak is always coming through the frame in the front. I really hope it’s not a blown head gasket but i don’t know where that would leak from. There’s no smoke coming from my exhaust and I did an oil change a few days oil looked fine. I do have a rough idle sometimes and am always low on coolant. Where can it be leaking from?

·
Registered
2004 RSX Type S
4 Posts
Well these engines seem to have a similiar coolant path to a 2010 CR-V, which on mine I had a coolant leak from under the intake. There is a metal coolant pipe that runs from the water outlet under the intake over to the drivers side where it connects to some other hoses and goes to the heater core. I would try taking a peak under the intake and see if you see a rusted out pipe leaking.

·
Registered
93 Posts
@Theguywhobea is correct that that is a susceptible spot for leaks. I circled it in red on this diagram. I believe one of those hoses has a replaceable o-ring as well.. Use a shop mirror to look at all the connections from every angle (see diagram for guidance). Our blue coolant tends to dry white. The fact that it's pooling underneath the radiator suggests to me that it's the upper or lower hose. Also, don't reuse OEM hose clamps, they get quite fatigued over time. Aftermarket sometimes has different pipe diameters then OEM so this can sometimes be an issue. Personally, I've had to tighten my worm gear hose clamps on an aftermarket radiator after the weather cooled down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just took some quick photos before I had to head out, tomorrow morning I’ll post better pictures from underneath the car. The coolant was splattered all over the engine bay and hood before I gave it a quick wipe down. I dyed it that’s why the coolant is that neon green color. Even with the LED light i can’t see any coolant anywhere besides the frame where it’s been dripping from. It’s been leaking from the same spots since my old oem and now Mishimoto radiator. Thanks for the help

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
O boy that's alot of splatter! Nice distance! It looks like the leak might be coming from above the rad fans and gets flung all over once the fans turn on. I would focus your efforts on the connections above the fans. Rad cap tight? Check upper rad hose, Check reservoir tank for cracks/leaks. Might need to clean up the engine bay first. Just let it idle and get up to temp and focus your attention on/above the fans. Gl man, keep us posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts