Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 6 weeks ago i had the upper coolant hose come off my car while driving and i swear every last bit of coolant came out of my radiator and engine. I put the hose back on and refilled everything up and everything seemed fine

then a couple days after that, my lower engine cover (between the engine and the road, right behind the bumper) dropped do to the ground when i was doing like 85 sending rocks spewing up into my engine bay. once again i go that tucked back up and put in the bumper clips that i had forgot to replace

About a week ago i realized that every day the reserve coolant level drops a couple millimeters but there is never any coolant drops on my garage floor. do u think its possible that the bottom coolant hose is pierced and the reason that i never have coolant on my floor is because the engine cover is catching it?

^basically all of these problems were caused by my amateur injen CAI install

im thinking of getting new hoses for top and bottom and doing a coolant flush to honda/acura type 2 coolant. then, if the problem still happens i'll take it into the dealer

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you bleed the cooling system when you refild it? If not you could of had air pockets traped in your engine, which slowly work there way to the radiator cap and get vented. Giving more room for coolant to enter the engine.
no i did not. so you're saying give it another couple weeks?? for the air bubbles to come out?

+rep

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
did you overheat the engine when the hose popped out while you're driving?
im not quite sure of the actual definition of "overheat." the needle was on H but not for long and the car didn't give any any check engine light or maintenance required light, nor did the car break down or make any strange noises. as soon as i saw that i killed the engine and pulled over

·
Big Pimpin
15,710 Posts
im not quite sure of the actual definition of "overheat." the needle was on H but not for long and the car didn't give any any check engine light or maintenance required light, nor did the car break down or make any strange noises. as soon as i saw that i killed the engine and turned over
so the needle was pegged? Just an fyi, the car will throw an overheat code if the needle goes like two little bars over what it usually is at, that's all it takes. And how long is "not long"? It only takes 30 seconds to warp your head/block with no coolant flowing through.

Let me give you an example man (and not to scare you, but to make you aware). I was cruising on the freeway, my serpentine belt assembly broke while going 80-85 trying to pass. Belt was thrown, all pulley's stopped operating (PS/AC/Water Pump). Temp needle spiked, I pulled over asap. No more than 30-60 seconds from when I NOTICED the lights were on. This was a few months ago but I've had an ongoing coolant problem (EXACTLY like you're saying here) for months. Guess what I'm doing next week. Pulling the engine to have the block re-decked and get another new head gasket.

It does not take much especially since the engine is aluminum. chances are, you warped your shit. I REALLY hope that's not the case but you better check your oil to make sure there's no coolant in there or anything.

But I REALLY hope you just needed to "burp" the system and there were just air pockets in there.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
so the needle was pegged? Just an fyi, the car will throw an overheat code if the needle goes like two little bars over what it usually is at, that's all it takes. And how long is "not long"? It only takes 30 seconds to warp your head/block with no coolant flowing through.

Let me give you an example man (and not to scare you, but to make you aware). I was cruising on the freeway, my serpentine belt assembly broke while going 80-85 trying to pass. Belt was thrown, all pulley's stopped operating (PS/AC/Water Pump). Temp needle spiked, I pulled over asap. No more than 30-60 seconds from when I NOTICED the lights were on. This was a few months ago but I've had an ongoing coolant problem (EXACTLY like you're saying here) for months. Guess what I'm doing next week. Pulling the engine to have the block re-decked and get another new head gasket.

It does not take much especially since the engine is aluminum. chances are, you warped your shit. I REALLY hope that's not the case but you better check your oil to make sure there's no coolant in there or anything.

But I REALLY hope you just needed to "burp" the system and there were just air pockets in there.
:noes: shiiiiit. so i should change my oil and look for any blue tint to it (the original blue honda coolant)?

·
Big Pimpin
15,710 Posts
:noes: shiiiiit. so i should change my oil and look for any blue tint to it (the original blue honda coolant)?
drive around til the car warms up (or let it idle until the first fan cycle). Turn it off, open the oil cap, look for white milky-ness and smell in there for coolant/oil mix.

You could also change your oil, but this way is a little cheaper. Heh.

and like I said man, i'm not saying it to scare you and I'm not saying that that is what happened. It's just a possibility, sadly a decent possibility.

If that is what happened, chances are it warped around cylinder 3. I hope not though man. What you should really do is go to a mechanic or smog station and have them check for exhaust gas in the radiator (using the sniffer or the blue fluid). That will tell you for sure as well.

·
日本に住んで&#
803 Posts
I hope you don't mind me using your thread for a question, this is really important!
I drained all the coolant. Put on the samco radiator hoses.
Filled up the reserve with water on accident instead of the actual radiator. Ran the car for a very short time.
(I have no idea why I went ahead a flushed now that I see it was totally unnecessary)
How bad is this????? I drained both again, and luckily not all the coolant was drained and there was still a lot left. Not once though did the reading ever past the warmed-up point, further more I only ran it for maybe 2 minutes at the most and I'm just guessing because I don't remember exactly how long it was.
So, I'm scared something may have happened. Really scared, because I just got the car!

·
日本に住んで&#
803 Posts
Phew, thats good to hear, thanks for the input. Unfortunately I don't know too much about car this car yet, and wow I really got worried.

·
日本に住んで&#
803 Posts
One more thing. I got everything back to normal.
I read the instructions on making sure there is no air in the coolant, radiator, etc. I followed the instructions (put air to hot, leave the cap slightly loose, etc.) and it says to let the fans cycle twice. Well, do the fans actually move? Because when I started my car and waited for these cycles, fans didn't move.
I ended up closing everything up and drove around after fully warming up, and nothing happened, it seemed everything is perfectly fine.
I am so confused.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
bump for answer to bluersx03's question.

btw an update on my car's condition: there is no milkyness in the oil that I see, nor does it smell like coolant. Also, the coolant started losing less and less per day and now its not losing any so I guess it was just bubbles in the radiator. Now that its seemingly OK, I'm gunna get a coolant flush with Acura/Honda Type 2 coolant and hopefully not have to deal with anything for years.

How do the silicon radiator hoses help anything? Not dispersing heat from the coolant into the engine bay through the stock hoses?

·
日本に住んで&#
803 Posts
bump for answer to bluersx03's question.

btw an update on my car's condition: there is no milkyness in the oil that I see, nor does it smell like coolant. Also, the coolant started losing less and less per day and now its not losing any so I guess it was just bubbles in the radiator. Now that its seemingly OK, I'm gunna get a coolant flush with Acura/Honda Type 2 coolant and hopefully not have to deal with anything for years.

How do the silicon radiator hoses help anything? Not dispersing heat from the coolant into the engine bay through the stock hoses?
I am going to attempt to answer myself.
I guess that the fans wouldn't turn on while the car is warming up, at least from a cold start. I could be wrong but it wouldn't make sense for them to turn on when the temp is that low.
Anyways I did some searching and found mixed suggestions from other threads. But I guess you do, do it from a cold start, and... just wait... wait... and wait until the fan finally kicks in.

Yeahhh, the hoses really don't do anything. I bought them kinda spontaneously. Then I realized that damn " why did i do that?". I tried to resell them locally, but with no luck, I just decided to give a spin.
They look nice.

So Anyways, I noticed the same thing with the coolant level dropping after I did my hoses.

Everything must be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts