Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, three weeks ago I installed a JRSC. Install went fine. Cars been driving fine since then - Just been working on tuning. (02 Civic Si)

Got a 2.5 inch custom exhaust installed yesterday. Picked up the car, drove to the dyno tuner. When I drove into the shop to strap onto the dyno/tune, the mechanics/techs smelled burnt antifreeze. We smelled my exhaust and the smell seemed to come from there..

We decided to hook it up to the dyno because the car seemed fine. Did something like 20+ pulls at various loads and rpm. No smoke, smell went away. I got home a few hours later and there was no smell.

All the dyno runs seemed to indicate the car's power was fine and the car was running fine...

Started the car this morning and let it run/idle for 10 minutes. No smell.

Went to the movies, drove home and the smell was back in the exhaust again...

No white smoke.
Oil looks fine.
Spark plugs look fine.

I don't get it. Can someone shed some light here? Is it possible something could be clogged with the charger? Head gasket blown even though there is no smoke? Head cracked? Antifreeze leaked onto the exhaust?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coolant levels seem fine.

Mods: Jackson Racing Supercharger, Hondata, Custom exhaust, CAI, Camber bolts, LSD...

I don't think Honda's gonna touch it under warranty..

Looking for some advise from people who may have seen this before or have lots of knowledge with this kinda stuff.

·
likes to troubleshoot
2,539 Posts
Have an oil analysis done. The analysis will positively identify coolant in your oil if it's there. If coolant is in the oil, you've got a head gasket or intake gasket leak. If it's not, then coolant may be weeping from outside of the water pump and making it's way to the exhaust or something else that's hot.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have an oil analysis done. The analysis will positively identify coolant in your oil if it's there. If coolant is in the oil, you've got a head gasket or intake gasket leak. If it's not, then coolant may be weeping from outside of the water pump and making it's way to the exhaust or something else that's hot.
Hey, thanks for the information. How can an intake gasket cause a coolant leak?

G

·
I'll bet it's not from your exhaust. You're just smelling it and assuming it is. The leak is somewhere else and just becoming more evident at times. Glycol will burn up in combustion is it's ahead of the motor. You'd have to have major white smoke in order to smell it. If you did have a leaky head gasket, your temp would be going up and there would be lots of white steam.

Have you double-checked the coolant lines that you un-did for the blower install? I'll bet that's your issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll bet it's not from your exhaust. You're just smelling it and assuming it is. The leak is somewhere else and just becoming more evident at times. Glycol will burn up in combustion is it's ahead of the motor. You'd have to have major white smoke in order to smell it. If you did have a leaky head gasket, your temp would be going up and there would be lots of white steam.

Have you double-checked the coolant lines that you un-did for the blower install? I'll bet that's your issue. Good luck.
I have not checked the coolant lines, but I will now that you mention it. I swear that when I smell the exhaust it smells sweet like coolant. Now...the coolant lines you mention that go into the throttle body... Is it possible for that coolant to somehow get burnt in the combustion process if I did something wrong in the install?

Appreciate the feedback!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts