Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Friend of Slipknot
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So here is the situation, about a week or so ago I hit vtec and all that jazz, come home and find that coolant sprayed all over my engine compartment from the overflow bottle of all places. So I clean it up and check the coolant level and it's low. So i add more coolant to the radiator to top it off. 2 nights ago I checked my overflow bottle and it was at the max line even after it cooled down for about 4-5 hours. So I drain the overflow bottle to get to the min line and check coolant in radiator and it's where it needs to be (did this before and after I drained)

I decided to give the car another run today and all seemed well (2nd gear pull only). I check my engine bay and there is no coolant spray that I saw. I have since let the car cool down about 4 hours now since 5pm and I went to check the coolant. I see that after 4 hours the coolant is still at the max line with coolant missing in the radiator (presumably drained into the overflow)

This thing happens only when I hit my vtec, normal driving is perfectly fine. I dont think there is an air pocket in the coolant system but I have been wrong in the past. I dont want to vtec again for fear of spraying coolant everywhere again.

Thoughts? comments? advice?:dontknow:

PS - It's not overheating because of the fact that my temp level stays put even after this vtec/coolant/crap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check your oil for coolant. Milky... yucky looking stuff. lol

If there are signs... DON'T DRIVE IT! You can change the oil but I still wouldn't drive it if you saw signs of coolant in the oil. It could mean a blown head gasket.

If that's not it... well someone else may have a guess.

·
Friend of Slipknot
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried that too, checked the oil from the dipstick and even the oil cap, no milky stuff in either area.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey have you tried blasting the heat to see if you get any? Wrong time of year I know.. lol See if your radiator cap works good too and doesn't look worn out. If it won't hold pressure to the system then the boiling point is reduced significantly.

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,240 Posts
rad cap. extra internal pressure from the water pump spinning at high revs is a bit too high for the cap to handle. it could be weak from age or you just need one with a bit higher pressure rating

1 - 6 of 6 Posts