Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Friend of Slipknot
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few days on 2 occasions I have noticed this problem. My overfill tank gets really full and pretty much blows coolant in the engine bay, not a lot kind of like a spritz type thing. So I drained some coolant (not a lot) out of the overfill and it happened a second time. Here are things I checked:

Spark plugs – good
Hoses – no leaks
Coolant – no contaminates
Exhaust – no white smoke
Temperature – does not overheat

I remember I filled the core once after a meet. I think I overfilled the system and need to just drain the entire overfill tank and start over. I double-checked everything in kpro and my temps don’t go above 200-201 ever. Any suggestions? I’m hoping it’s not a bad thermostat or headgasket.

·
Registered
209 Posts
For the past few days on 2 occasions I have noticed this problem. My overfill tank gets really full and pretty much blows coolant in the engine bay, not a lot kind of like a spritz type thing. So I drained some coolant (not a lot) out of the overfill and it happened a second time. Here are things I checked:

Spark plugs – good
Hoses – no leaks
Coolant – no contaminates
Exhaust – no white smoke
Temperature – does not overheat

I remember I filled the core once after a meet. I think I overfilled the system and need to just drain the entire overfill tank and start over. I double-checked everything in kpro and my temps don’t go above 200-201 ever. Any suggestions? I’m hoping it’s not a bad thermostat or headgasket.

get a new radiator cap...sounds like its not doin its job

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,245 Posts
The rad cap is designed to keep the coolant inside the radiator, it's rated at a certain pressure, anything over that pressure gets released into the overflow. If the cap is pooched or stuck open, then all the fluid from heat expansion will go into the overflow. Also, with no pressure, the coolant can boil inside the engine and rad, pressure allows the system to run at much higher temps without boiling.

·
Friend of Slipknot
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, so get a new radiator cap. what about draining the overfill tank? I mean I only have 34K on the car, hard to think a rad cap goes bad. I will give it a shot.

·
Registered
209 Posts
ok, so get a new radiator cap. what about draining the overfill tank? I mean I only have 34K on the car, hard to think a rad cap goes bad. I will give it a shot.
drain it down to the correct level indicated on the side ( never looked at the bottle so Im not even sure if you can see it) and make sure the system is filled correctly. So fill it if its low...run it for a while so the thermastat opens..let it cool off a bit and then top it off at the rad.

·
7,611 Posts
Prob don't need to drain the overflow tank - unless your radiator is really low.

Sounds like cap is allowing too much coolant into the overflow (as others have stated) and that coolant is coming from your radiator. Once new cap is installed and system is operating as it should, the coolant in your overflow should get sucked back into the radiator.

Since you indicated that it was blowing all over the motor compartment, you'll probably have to add some coolant, either to radiator or overflow tank - or both.

·
7,611 Posts
TS - yeah, radiator cap shouldn't be bad already, but anything can happen. And new cap is only ~ $8 so what the hell.

I just ordered a new one along with new upper and lower hose just for peace of mind.

At ~ 4 1/2 years/64K miles.

·
Friend of Slipknot
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to try and drain the overflow and put it back into the radiator itself. The radiator is a tad low but not bad. If it does it again I will drain the overflow and put on a new cap and see what happens.

·
7,611 Posts
I'm going to try and drain the overflow and put it back into the radiator itself. The radiator is a tad low but not bad. If it does it again I will drain the overflow and put on a new cap and see what happens.
:dontknow: whatever floats your boat. If it were me I'd just replace the cap and drive it for a day and then check the tank and radiator again.

If your radiator is just a little low, as you say, it should fill up again from the recovery tank.

I just drained and refilled my radiator and recovery bottle - I had the bumper off to get at the drain plug for the recovery bottle! Radiator draining is a piece of cake - there's a slot in the splash guard to access the petcock. The recovery bottle drain plug is halfway between the top and bottom of the motor compartment and a PITA to reach.

Just my $.02.

·
Friend of Slipknot
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well the nearest honda is about an hour away. I think other places can get it. it's not like I'm ignoring you paul, a lot of other people suggested pulling some coolant from the overfill....that's all.

·
Friend of Slipknot
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No...lol. I'm doing it myself but to get the part at a honda dealer is 1 hour away but I think autozone has rad caps....or they can order it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts