Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Ok first off:

1)Fuses are good
2)Relays are good
3)Motors are good

The fan will not kick on when it gets hot, only comes on when I turn the AC on. Can I narrow this down, now, to one certain thing and is there a DIY for this. I have been searching around for hours....so yea, I searched. I almost just want to wire it to a switch but then again I don't.

Preston
04 type-s

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well one of the two has to kick on when it get to a certain temp i'm pretty sure. Because my car overheated a cpl times with the AC off, me, not knowing why at the time. One is a radiator/cooling fan and one is for the condenser.

·
Registered
34 Posts
1. Check to make sure you don't have air trapped in your cooling system.
2. Might need to replace thermostat or water pump

Check to make sure your topped off on coolant and if the level drops dramatically you could have a leak somewhere, cracked radiator or a messed up head gasket happened to a friend of mine.. it was horrible

Cant think of anything else at the moment good luck!

·
likes to troubleshoot
2,539 Posts
The fan on the driver's side is the radiator fan; the passenger-side is the condensor fan, but both fans should run when the AC or radiator fan switch close. Since the fan works when the AC is on, it looks like you've got a problem with the radiator fan switch. It closes when coolant temp is above 200F.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This happened to me but it was a month ago, It was a the fuse. did you test it with a test light or did you just do a visual inspection? i believe it's a 20 amp fuse for the condenser fan and a 30 amp for the cooling fan. Hope you find the solution.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any update on this? I got the exact same thing going on. If the coolant temp sensor in the head is bad it will set off a cel, right? But the temp sender at the bottom off the radiator won't? Like the thread starter had, all motors, relays, and fuses are fine, and the fans only turn on when the a/c is going. Any help is appreciated

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
It ended up checking for continuity at the sender that is located at the bottom of the radiator. Switch would not close when temps reached 200*. This sender doesn't run through the ECM so no check engine light if this part is bad. Hope this'll help somebody

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hi.
How did you check? With the 2 pins in the switch or did you do something while it was still plugged into the radiator?

Since you switch was replaced, Both fans turn on with AC on? Radiator fan on only at 200F while AC off?
Cause right now it's as if my radiator fan works in sync with the AC fan and never on it's own no matter how hot the engine gets.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi.
How did you check? With the 2 pins in the switch or did you do something while it was still plugged into the radiator?

Since you switch was replaced, Both fans turn on with AC on? Radiator fan on only at 200F while AC off?
Cause right now it's as if my radiator fan works in sync with the AC fan and never on it's own no matter how hot the engine gets.
High5 hasn't been on this site in over three years. That being said, page 10-19 in the 02-06 RSX Service Manual Special Edition - All Contents with Hyperlinks has the procedures for testing the radiator fan switch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts