Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· ECU Tuner
Joined
·
3,588 Posts
mkrsx2003 said:
can an aftercooler made for the comptech s2k supercharger, be customly installed in an rsx? would it help at all?
That'd be a bit of a kludge job if it's possible at all, but there's another and much better solution, or soon will be....
 

· Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
No way possible......a comtech supercharger works like a turbo but still uses the belts to spool it.
 

· ECU Tuner
Joined
·
3,588 Posts
scottatyamaha said:
No way possible......a comtech supercharger works like a turbo but still uses the belts to spool it.
And that could change very soon...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
???
 

· newadventuresinhardcore
Joined
·
310 Posts
scottatyamaha said:
No way possible......a comtech supercharger works like a turbo but still uses the belts to spool it.
This is true but the aftercooler itself is not belt driven. Not 100% on this but I believe the air pump in the comptech aftercooler is electrically powered. I think this mod is possible...of course a lot of fabrication would have to take place & it would not be the most efficient system since it wasn't designed for that application.

I thought Hytech was coming out with a supercharged/aftercooled combo but I haven't heard anything lately.
 

· baby buffett
Joined
·
4,805 Posts
conradb212 said:
And that could change very soon...
stop being so mysterious and tell us what it is!
 

· ...
Joined
·
5,022 Posts
You people need to understand the difference between intercoolers and aftercoolers before you give out bad information.
By definition:
An aftercooler is a heat exchanger placed between the compressor and the engine’s inlet. Vortech uses the term "aftercooler" as we feel it is more accurate; it is "after" the compressor. "Intercooler" means a heat exchanger placed between two compressors in a multi-stage system, but has been used as a synonym for an aftercooler ever since it was incorrectly stuck on the backend of a Volvo in about 1981. Aftercoolers and intercoolers are both also called charge coolers.

The whole article.
http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?id=7

Some companies such as Aquamist offer an aftercooler, although it is not a true aftercooler. Water injection is the key to reducing the charge air temperatures. Research people.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
wdsonny said:
You people need to understand the difference between intercoolers and aftercoolers before you give out bad information.
By definition:
An aftercooler is a heat exchanger placed between the compressor and the engine’s inlet. Vortech uses the term "aftercooler" as we feel it is more accurate; it is "after" the compressor. "Intercooler" means a heat exchanger placed between two compressors in a multi-stage system, but has been used as a synonym for an aftercooler ever since it was incorrectly stuck on the backend of a Volvo in about 1981. Aftercoolers and intercoolers are both also called charge coolers.

The whole article.
http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?id=7

Some companies such as Aquamist offer an aftercooler, although it is not a true aftercooler. Water injection is the key to reducing the charge air temperatures. Research people.
Good link. There's other ways, tho...cool your fuel, cool your throttle body, IM, blower housing, airbox. The question is how?
 

· ECU Tuner
Joined
·
3,588 Posts
Texas-R said:
Pony up conradb212, what is it? :dontknow:
Well alright. I already told Sonny anyway, and Comptech didn't say it was a secret. Comptech is very, very close to releasing their supercharger for the TSX and RSX. I saw the installations yesterday at Comptech's facility in El Dorado Hills and they look very high quality, just as you'd expect from Comptech. They use a larger and newer Eaton blower than Jackson. Best of all, they'll offer an optional intercooler (or aftercooler per Sonny's definition), though that project will come out a few months after the SC itself. The whole thing will be very competitively priced and not in the stratosphere like their NSX SCs. I'll have mine installed probably within a month.
 

· ...
Joined
·
5,022 Posts
How to cool the blower housing. Do what I did. Since I don't have a rear wiper anymore, why have the washer! Took the hose for the rear washer and replaced it with silicone hose and attached a 3gph spray nozzle to it and mounted to my fuel rail pointing at the compressor housing. It is not activated by the ECU. Just turn the rear wiper on and let it go for a few seconds. It is not going to "super cool" but it will take away some radiant heat. I found it to work best right before staging. That way the water doesn't drip onto the track. Also, I give it a 5 second burst about every 30 seconds while sitting in the lanes. That way it cools off just a bit more. The only problem is you have to listen. You can't really tell when you run out of water. I did the nozzle in the intake but the mist was not fine enough to get injested. But, I did notice the temp drop at the IAT by about 10 degrees when I did use it. Ice water will work, but you are using the stock washer bottle.

Texas-R said:
Good link. There's other ways, tho...cool your fuel, cool your throttle body, IM, blower housing, airbox. The question is how?
 

· newadventuresinhardcore
Joined
·
310 Posts
wdsonny said:
You people need to understand the difference between intercoolers and aftercoolers before you give out bad information.
By definition:
An aftercooler is a heat exchanger placed between the compressor and the engine’s inlet. Vortech uses the term "aftercooler" as we feel it is more accurate; it is "after" the compressor. "Intercooler" means a heat exchanger placed between two compressors in a multi-stage system, but has been used as a synonym for an aftercooler ever since it was incorrectly stuck on the backend of a Volvo in about 1981. Aftercoolers and intercoolers are both also called charge coolers.

The whole article.
http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?id=7

Some companies such as Aquamist offer an aftercooler, although it is not a true aftercooler. Water injection is the key to reducing the charge air temperatures. Research people.
Good link...but I don't understand your comment about people giving out "bad information"...Noone even used the word intercooler. Not flaming...just bi-curious :D
 

· ...
Joined
·
5,022 Posts
You are right. It was not stated. But it has been stated before in other threads. I even thought about buying a 2 core FMIC and routing the piping for use with the S/C. But then I was informed that using a standard intercooler setup would decrease boost by 1-2psi. Alot of people get confused when someone says intercool or aftercool. Not everyone knows the difference. Just putting out the knowledge.
 

· newadventuresinhardcore
Joined
·
310 Posts
wdsonny said:
You are right. It was not stated. But it has been stated before in other threads. I even thought about buying a 2 core FMIC and routing the piping for use with the S/C. But then I was informed that using a standard intercooler setup would decrease boost by 1-2psi. Alot of people get confused when someone says intercool or aftercool. Not everyone knows the difference. Just putting out the knowledge.
Right on
 

· Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
conradb212 said:
Well alright. I already told Sonny anyway, and Comptech didn't say it was a secret. Comptech is very, very close to releasing their supercharger for the TSX and RSX. I saw the installations yesterday at Comptech's facility in El Dorado Hills and they look very high quality, just as you'd expect from Comptech. They use a larger and newer Eaton blower than Jackson. Best of all, they'll offer an optional intercooler (or aftercooler per Sonny's definition), though that project will come out a few months after the SC itself. The whole thing will be very competitively priced and not in the stratosphere like their NSX SCs. I'll have mine installed probably within a month.
:crying: Anybody need a brand-new JRSC Race? Comptech, wanna trade?
conradb212 my credit cards are dancing around the room! :rotfl:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
my truck has a heatexchanger and its mounted like a front mount on my harley davidson f150 and i can buy a aftermarket one to work with it also but i guess with a bigger engine u have to cool it down somehow, david
 
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top