Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
an advanced thanks 4 rep!
Joined
·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking of purchasing a Seibon/ViS Carbon Fiber Hood that has scoops and vents.

I have an AEM V2 intake because down in South Florida it tends to rain a heavy load so I wanted to avoid hydrolock as much as I could so I got the V2. Plus, with the vents and scoops, it'll allow more air induction so the intake can get colder air rather than trapped hot air.

But I was wondering if the CF Hoods with scoops and vents will allow water to get underneathe the engine bay when it rains and pours heavily. If this is the case, I'll look for an OEM CF Hood. Thanks.
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
2,573 Posts
if you dip your front end of the car into a river then yes it could hydrolock but no it shouldn't

its even pretty hard to hydrolock with a CAI...
 

·
aka Batman on weekends
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
i dont think so bc the engine bay gets so hot the water would steam immediately. Just get one of those hydroshields to be sure and you probably will avoid some headsoak and not have to worry about water being sucked in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
I "sure hope not", and i dont think i will be hitting any rapids soon. Which hood are you looking at
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,142 Posts
You would have to submerge the entire filter in water to hydrolock the engine. So you are safe to get a hood with vents.
 

·
dc5-T
Joined
·
586 Posts
i hydrolocked down here in Miami with a CAI. but luckily it was slight. but it did suck up the water. no damage to the motor tho. thank god.

and for ur question, i dont think it'll hydrolock. i think u'll be iight. it would take a lot of water for that to happen. if anything u can build a lil shield around it.
 

·
an advanced thanks 4 rep!
Joined
·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So it's safe to say I'll be okay? Because it rains like hell in South Florida (anyone who's been in FL for vacation in the summer knows what I mean. Rained everyday so far this year). But I'm also worried about idiots who drive next to you and they drive into a puddle and completely give you a car wash. Is that something to be worrying about?

Ironraven said:
You would have to submerge the entire filter in water to hydrolock the engine. So you are safe to get a hood with vents.
I heard from a friend that his ViS Carbon Fiber Invader hood does not get any water going into the engine bay area at all (not sure if it is with ViS brands only or if it's because he has the EP3; that would do anything with it.). It remains dry until he opens the hood, where the water will trail down and get the bay wet. Can anyone verify this?

ewoodrsx1 said:
i dont think so bc the engine bay gets so hot the water would steam immediately. Just get one of those hydroshields to be sure and you probably will avoid some headsoak and not have to worry about water being sucked in.
Where can I get a hydroshield at? I'm very interested in getting one :thumbsup:
And yeah I want hoodscoops and vents just so there will be less heatsoaking.

oi2325 said:
I "sure hope not", and i dont think i will be hitting any rapids soon. Which hood are you looking at
I'm looking to get the Seibon Carbon Fiber Invader, The Evo Style, or The Mugen Style.
 

·
an advanced thanks 4 rep!
Joined
·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
drumnatural said:
oh shit that is hot! :thumbsup: many props.

But question, does this wrap around my current v2 filter? I was also wondering if it will reduce some airflow intake because its being wrapped around. Does anybody know this for sure? it looks awesome and exactly what I'm looking for.
 

·
Registered
2003 Acura RSX 5spd
Joined
·
5,219 Posts
You people and your damn hydrolock. You wont hydrolock unless you COMPLETELY SUBMERGE THE FKING FILTER! And SEARCH!!!! There's 100000000000 paranoid people who ask about hydrolock 24/7. And the hydroshield doesn't do shit to prevent hydrolock. Getting rain on your filter wont hydrolock. If you completely submerge your filter the hydrosheild wont prevent it from not hydrolocking. Rendering the hydroshield a piece of useless crap.
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
2,573 Posts
dude, im from south florida, i know how it gets down there... i moved up north to go to school.


Also.. i drove on the turnpike through Hurricane Charley (stupid, i know) and my car was tossed around like a little girl, and i STILL didn't hydrolock (and i have a CAI).
 

·
St. Louis
Joined
·
118 Posts
Don't get the hydroshield. I put one on the same time I installed my rh and a few miles later my cel came on. I used the defouler method, but I still expected that I may get it so that was fine (it's not 100%). However, I also feel that the car is not driving right. The throttle response is weaker and it's not pulling as hard, so I'm thinking it's the primary o2 sensor warning that my a/f is off:dontknow: So I took it off thinking that the car may be running rich, and went to get the code checked. I didn't get the code cause the guy at autozone was trying to tell me that my cel will come on with rh which I already knew:rolleyes: He just told me that the o2 sensor was inactive. Which means it was probably the secondary not sensing air through the defouler, and I just had him clear it. But I noticed after driving without the hydroshield the for a few mins the felt car a lot better.

I wouldn't get it, injen claims it maitains hp but that doesn't make sense b/c it's something else you car has to breath through. I don't know others' experience wit it, but that's mine.

this should be exactly what you need. It claims to be a heat/splash shield but I don't think it'll stop your heat soak any.
 

Attachments

·
St. Louis
Joined
·
118 Posts
Also, I think a couple of people hydrolocked with a short ram and a v2. I not sure how it happened, but I believe it was discussed:dontknow:
 

·
K7 600
Joined
·
2,925 Posts
no you wont hydrolock. i washed my engine with the car turned on when i had my SRI and nothing happened. so trust me, you will be fine!
 

·
an advanced thanks 4 rep!
Joined
·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lightning said:
You people and your damn hydrolock. You wont hydrolock unless you COMPLETELY SUBMERGE THE FKING FILTER! And SEARCH!!!! There's 100000000000 paranoid people who ask about hydrolock 24/7. And the hydroshield doesn't do shit to prevent hydrolock. Getting rain on your filter wont hydrolock. If you completely submerge your filter the hydrosheild wont prevent it from not hydrolocking. Rendering the hydroshield a piece of useless crap.
Wtf. I was wondering since its directly in rain. It should get entirely wet if it pours heavily. AND YES I have searched. I know it can happen to CAI but it would have to be over a puddle. But most of the time the car is covering the filter. With an SRI the hood is allowing an opening of air and water to come in. Thanks.
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
2,573 Posts
well.. if you're that scared dont mod ur car at all... everything has risks (even tho most of us are telling you that you're going to be fine.

if u are scared, dont. its simple.

if u want, make sure the hood u get has its vents somewhere else other than directly over the sri filter.
 

·
an advanced thanks 4 rep!
Joined
·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
vispre said:
well.. if you're that scared dont mod ur car at all... everything has risks (even tho most of us are telling you that you're going to be fine.

if u are scared, dont. its simple.

if u want, make sure the hood u get has its vents somewhere else other than directly over the sri filter.
no, I was just wondering. I never said I was scared and not gonna do it. Just wanted to know if there were risks. simple as that.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top