Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
IM4U2NV
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started looking up stuff on powder coating and was wondering a couple of things.

1. Do you have to have any type of primer coat?
2. Would you be able to use a heat gun to dry it like one of those 1200 degree F ones?
3. How much does 1lb of the powder coat?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these for me.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I do not believe you need any primer, in fact I believe it needs to be bare metal.

Don't thing you would want to use a heat gun. You still need to statis charge the obect needing the coating.

Prices:
http://www.powdermarket.com/powder/

What are you podercoating? Igot a gunmetal valve cover for sale....
:laughing:

·
IM4U2NV
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a crx out of a river and i took the panels off and was going to powder coat the frame, if i could to do rust maintence and since powder coating doesnt chip or anything like that i know i wouldnt have to worry about it so it doesnt have to look good just just perform.

·
IM4U2NV
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i know but i have time to play around with, i already pulled the motor and stuff and will eventually put a k20a motor into it probably at the end of the summer.

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
Pretty ambitious project...good luck with it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
FaintReality said:
Just get it done at a shop... Probably around a couple hundred tops!
to prep and powdercoat a whole frame that is coming out of water?!? it will be much more than a couple hundred.

·
Registered
11,745 Posts
Grind down the frame yourself... Just have them do the actual powder coating. It will be cheaper to have them powder coat the frame than it will for you to go buy all the materials and do it yourself, assuming you do it properly which isn't gonna happen with a heat gun.

·
Kompressor
9,596 Posts
lol, i'd trust faint on anything, i've been to 5 threads in-a-row where hes corrected someone, or told them how to do it the right way!..

faint=RSX GOD!

[can't wait for your rsx to come out of shop!]

·
IM4U2NV
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like some pretty good advice. I was just seeing what it would take to do it myself. I dont mind spending money on getting the materials myself and spending time doing it. I know a infrared light can work instead of the heat gun i was just seeing for a cheaper option.

·
Registered
11,745 Posts
I don't like shops touching my car, in which I try to do every thing I can possibly do myself... I am getting a lot of stuff powder coated, in which I already looked into doing it myself, in which it was actually cheaper in the long run to get it done professionally.

·
IM4U2NV
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I definatly see where your coming from, but another thing i was thinking if i do get all the equipment to do it then i would be able to do it for stuff all over the car and on my other cars. but how would u have known i was thinking that unless u have esp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts