Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
okay, so i've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what to do about getting some colder air into the RSX Stock air box {hondata modification, works, great sound and def. breathes better, AMsoil high efficiency filter on the way!!! yay!!}...

my ol' man tried to help out and now has cost me a new grill {50 bucks after market}, no real biggie, but yeh a pain none the less..

so now i come across this thread on the Civic SI.. and come to find out RSX's witht the mod done!!! WTF!!??? anybody know about this!!/?? sucking in cold dense air from the firewall / windshield area!!??? please enlighten me!!

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/bolt-ons-all-motor/80540-cowl-induction-cold-ram-air-si.html

just came across it, i guess its the GruppeM Cold air Induction system

https://www.gruppem.co.jp/onlinestore_en/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_29&products_id=135

·
Registered
190 Posts
this is definitely a replica of, or IS the GruppeM air induction intake.

You could also consider the ITG maxogen or BMC carbon dynamic type intake. These are all inducted type intakes.

ALTHOUGH, HONESTLY....the easiest way to get cold dense air is to buy a cold air intake, and route a duct from the front of the bumper to right in front of the filter.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeh as posted above on edit it IS a GruppeM intake, looks sweet, mind you i'm sure its in the 200 buck area..

as far as water in this area, yeh that is a problem ... dunno what to do against that..

this is of course the biggest draw back to a CAI as well, i live in Vancouver, BC.. and it honestly rains wayyyy too much... hasnt rained for over a month... that never happesn here!!!! it is a very rare occurence, so for every other time of the year {read not summer} a CAI is a NOH NOH for us!!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
you do realize this will only work with rhd vehicles right?
please explain that, i dont see how but yeh seems like its something used in ASIA/ Europe moslty.. why?

well i guess there is one very quick response to this, damn those things are expensive w/ our pittiful coin values!!! lmao!!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahh, yah the Civic Si boys were discussing this same thing.. apparently someone in the US actually installed one, still no clue what he did to resolve the issue...

i'm no mechanic obviously.. just like to make car go fast :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
If you want cold air to enter your stock box, then run a flex tube on the intake down to where a CAI filter would sit. Try brake ducting something like this.

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,231 Posts
I would think that kind of flexible piping would need to be at least 4 inches in diameter to counter the turbulence from the internal ribbing. smooth is better.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would think that kind of flexible piping would need to be at least 4 inches in diameter to counter the turbulence from the internal ribbing. smooth is better.
that is exactly what i was thinking, and yeh dont worry i've already got that setup right now, i still believe smoother is better.. 4" is the best way to go of course, though it all depends where you can squeeze that 4" hose to pickup dense air, the most logical {ala mugen} is up front by the grill, but its a tight spot.. and i'm noticing that even w/ the Vision TEchnica duct you dont have a solid seal which directly feeds the ducting, but it is better than stock thats for sure..

I know i can run it down to where the CAI would go, and it will probably have to do for now, as my holiday trip is coming up quick, but would not work permanently as it def. rains too much here BC.. thanks for the thoughts though..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
mate, thats my old car LOL

gruppem isn't suitable for LHD cars but it can work depending how much effort u want to put but yes brake master cylinder is the main thing in the way for LHD

here was my install

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh cool, hahah, thanks for the pic!!

i've decided to get creative witt it!!! hehe.. will post back when the ideal creative juices bloom!!

·
Never shit a shitter
4,428 Posts
That's what she said.

/Idiocy

No, but really...I doubt the trouble one would go through trying to implement something such as this would be all that beneficial, I'd say a negligible amount of actual WHP. To me, I wouldn't waste my time, but good luck! It's always nice to see someone doing something/thinking differently and outside the box aside from just bolting somefin' up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey man I live in Vancouver BC also so I know how much rain we get. Right now i rock the Short ram intake but have been seriously thinking of getting the cold air. The short ram suffers from heat soak especially in the summer. The cold air should be fine for us i think. In order for the engine to get hydrolock, you have to fully submerge your filter in water. So if u have seen one installed the filter sits behind the front bumper. Therefore the water needs to be pretty deep in order for engine to potentially hydrolock. Also, you need to be giving it significant throttle while submerged in order to suck up enough water. My Type-s isn't lowered so i have the stock height in my favour.

This is just some things I heard that support cold air intake purchase, but there is also the annoyance of removing fron the bumper every time you clean the filter (every few months for me). If you don't get cold air just get an ARC induction box and call it a day.

·
Welcome to Jam-rock!
74 Posts
nice research on the air duct :thumbsup:..but IMO this is just a fun gadget that can help pass time / boosting ego because you completed a project.. I would rather buy a cold air intake if your worried about heat soak not to mention CAI = more hp/torque gains :bow:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
unfortunately, a CAI will not give me the results i want, i'm looking for better throttle response, and i really dont need minor hp increase way the heck up in the rpm range... its the same as my sportbike needs, i dont track my toys, they are for canyon purposes... i gotta sit down w/ my buddy and chalk up something that will suit my needs of better ram air intake...

also, a cai is pretty much out of the question where i live, right now its pretty damn hot but it sure rains a hell of a lot year round... so i'd be right where i started, except i'd have to again hide the filter where it wont suck up water... which is nowhere near ideal air flow...

thanks for yer thoughts though, to each his own...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts