Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
cyprus
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many on this forum, I had my fog light cracked not too long ago. I happen to have the Honda Access Crystal Ion fog lights and paid way too much for them. I used to have a back up set of authentic Honda Access fogs because I heard horror stories but I sold them to a member on here a while ago. Bad move.

I despise the solid yellow "JDM" knock offs and I didn't want to shell out another $400 for fogs that this could happen to again so I began to search. After almost two months I found a knock off that looked good. Surprisngly enough, the kit I found with "Ion" lenses was listed for an 03-05 Accord. So I took a chance. The package arrived today.

The fogs arrived decently packaged. The switch and wiring harnesses looked to be of decent quality for a knock off for anyone interested. I don't really care because I'll never use it.

I was so shocked by the quality of these. Having owned an ass load of Hondas I knew that the fog housings are all essentially the same, so the plan is to just swap the lens but these seem to be high quality replicas.

They are a pretty spot on match and literally cost about one tenth of the price. I don't usually condone the knock off thing, but I feel I've paid my dues having paid over $800 in JDM fogs this is the next best solution.

The true test, of course, will be the install and longevity/durability of this item, but even if it breaks it's much cheaper to source. I'll post pics after I install.

·
Trading HP for MPG
2,443 Posts
Ionized fog lights are available for the RSX, but you spent two month searching and ended up with a set of fog lights for the wrong car (even though they may be swappable)? :shakehead

Here's a relatively recent thread about ionized fog lights with pics.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=675324

I got a set myself to replace my OEM clear ones that got chipped, wrapped them up in clear Lamin-X and haven't had chipping problem nor burn problem since (using 55w bulbs of course). I still stand by my opinion that the build quality of the housing is complete shit compared to OEM. Good thing I saved my OEM fogs for an IS300 foglight projector retrofit soon.

·
Giving hope to the '09ers
588 Posts
Ionized fog lights are available for the RSX, but you spent two month searching and ended up with a set of fog lights for the wrong car (even though they may be swappable)? :shakehead

I got a set myself to replace my OEM clear ones that got chipped, wrapped them up in clear Lamin-X and haven't had chipping problem nor burn problem since (using 55w bulbs of course). I still stand by my opinion that the build quality of the housing is complete shit compared to OEM. Good thing I saved my OEM fogs for an IS300 foglight projector retrofit soon.
Explain on the Lamin-X?

·
Giving hope to the '09ers
588 Posts
I see on their websire for the clear it asks for how think of a sheet I want. What shoudl i get? (8, 12, 20, or 40 mil)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
My first set held up for about a year until one of the lenses cracked, I couldnt find a replacement lens anywhere so I ended buying a second set just to replace the fog that had a broken lens. I made sure to protect my lenses somehow.......So I made some plexiglass shields to protect my second set :D.

·
cyprus
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Honestly dude, it's the same exact housing as the ones in the thread you posted with the same shitty bezel and the same shitty accessories. They didn't have them for the DC5 at the time and I already have the rest of what I need and have bought TWO authentic kits totaling almost $1K in stupid fucking fog lights. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. Shit, back when I had a 09 Fit and no RSX I put my authentic DC5 Ion fogs on my Fit. No one is going to audit my part numbers. Replica is a replica is a replica.

·
JDM>USDM
38,437 Posts
Clear protective film that goes over your lens - it protects them from road debris, kinda like invisiShield for your cell phone / mp3 players. www.lamin-x.com. They will burn if you use bulb wattage rated higher than 55w.
I had those lamin-x for over a year but then one day I was driving in the cold rain for a long period of time, then afterward, it had a black burn mark right in the center...and I was using the stock bulbs that came with the OEM fog light.

I just ordered another set but this time I'm running HIDs in the fog so hopefully no worries.

·
did it 4 teh lulz
1,203 Posts
I made a plexi glass shield like dc5k20z1...but im thinking about doing the laminX...im just unsure if it'll hold up to rocks/debris lol

got the ion fogs from Motor Blvd on ebay..glass lens..

what do you guys think? leave plexiglass on or take off and do lamin x

·
Mamimi
6,024 Posts
I made a plexi glass shield like dc5k20z1...but im thinking about doing the laminX...im just unsure if it'll hold up to rocks/debris lol

got the ion fogs from Motor Blvd on ebay..glass lens..

what do you guys think? leave plexiglass on or take off and do lamin x
If it were me, I would try a little bit of the 3m clear bra stuff that someone mentioned. Maybe it won't burn like the lamin x does.

Actually, I just saw they make thick laminx. Hell, why not try both!

·
did it 4 teh lulz
1,203 Posts
If it were me, I would try a little bit of the 3m clear bra stuff that someone mentioned. Maybe it won't burn like the lamin x does.

Actually, I just saw they make thick laminx. Hell, why not try both!
Lol, i actually ordered a sheet of 40mil laminx and put it on already...ill see how it holds up

had to reseal the lens with silicone sealant as well..washed the car and water got in

·
Mamimi
6,024 Posts
Lol, i actually ordered a sheet of 40mil laminx and put it on already...ill see how it holds up

had to reseal the lens with silicone sealant as well..washed the car and water got in
Cool, let us know. One day I am going to buy those ion fogs and would just die if one of them broke. :(

·
did it 4 teh lulz
1,203 Posts
Lol for sure. The ion fogs from MotorBlvd are good for 50bux

if you ever do get them from this seller, and need help with install, i can help you. Pretty easy lol

·
Mamimi
6,024 Posts
Lol for sure. The ion fogs from MotorBlvd are good for 50bux

if you ever do get them from this seller, and need help with install, i can help you. Pretty easy lol
Actually, I meant the ion fogs from jdmland dot com. The 450$ ones. :laughing:
If I were ever to get a set, I would want to make sure they would never break.
I'm thinking probably the thickest lexan.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts