Super Tech Intake and Exhaust Valves
Exedy Stage II Cerametallic Clutch & Lightweight flywheel

heres what I already have:
Kpro
AEM CAI
DCRH
Hondata IMG
ESMM

its safe to say i've been doing nothing but reading CRSX, k20a.org, and k-series, but still have minor questions/opinions answered before i order these parts.

Is a Stage II clutch overkill for these mods?
i will be staying NA, should i get the curved or flat Valves from supertech?
i was thinking about raising the CR to 12.1:1 by adding the Toda Headgasket, but would it be worth my while? i read in another thread that 11.7:1 is close to optimum performance for k series, so the Headgasket would be a waste.
also, i've hit 13.9x with the mods that i already have, what should i be expecting in addition to the mods i have listed?

thanks alot for the input guys, i'm still generally noobish w/ motors (hence i've been reading alot), but the setup i have choosen out is heavily based on product opinion threads and what my goals are, so just letting you guys know, your input is heavily appreciated.

·
K24/20 NA 12.3 @ 110 mph
2,008 Posts
Have you priced out getting a TSX (K24A2) block instead of rebuilding your current block? I'm a big fan of the torque numbers that can be achieved from a k24 bottom end.

·
Big Pimpin
15,710 Posts
From what I have heard, 11.8 is perfect. You won't get much, if any, gains over that, especially on your setup, and past 11.8 you'll need higher octane gas to my understanding.

Not sure on the clutch, but probably is a little overkill if you're just goin stage 1 cams.

Supertech is bomb, btw. It's what I have for spring/retainers.

Question for you...do you have to replace the valves if you're getting higher CR pistons? (I ask cuz I'm thinking of running higher CR as well but don't know what all I'd need to do)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Kevin949 said:
From what I have heard, 11.8 is perfect. You won't get much, if any, gains over that, especially on your setup, and past 11.8 you'll need higher octane gas to my understanding.

Not sure on the clutch, but probably is a little overkill if you're just goin stage 1 cams.

Supertech is bomb, btw. It's what I have for spring/retainers.

Question for you...do you have to replace the valves if you're getting higher CR pistons? (I ask cuz I'm thinking of running higher CR as well but don't know what all I'd need to do)
you don't *need* to replace valves when replacing pistons. IPS' 300 horsepower 2.2L NA monster was stock head, stock valves. The stock valves breathe very well, but if you do replace valves, ensure that the pistons have proper relief to allow for maximum cam angle advance. you want to ensure optimal possibility for advance as well as ensuring no piston-valve contact.

·
Certified Master Brewer
12,224 Posts
If your going all out with new pistons/rods I would recommend going with a better camshaft. I mean hell i dont know the difference in pricing from the skunk2 to the IPS but im sure its not that much and you will get a hell of alot better performance from the k2's

·
Registered
479 Posts
An LSD would do you good. I believe that clutch is overkill might be a bit too much clamping force for the numbers you will put out. Also a better final drive gear for your tranny will help a lot. Id go with the IPS K2 cams instead of the skunk 2s simply cause of power potential. Definately get a deifferent IM like a PRC or PRB. Your flywheel choice is very good though. Youll increase and lose revs very quickly with that. One more thing you might wanna modify the oil pump spring to a thicker one. this will increase the efficiency of the oil pump and its cost effective. this will allow you to make good use of the powerband by revving up higher. Th k20s main issue with revs is lubrication but that will solev any issues. Good luck with the setup.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
487 Posts
to be honest, 12:1 CR is not bad at all, alot of my old friends have it in there B series motors and are running on pump gas. but, if your going NA the k24 block might be alot better for what you are trying to achieve. The k24 off of a crv, from what i have read, is much stronger then that of the tsx.

with that being said, i would isolate that extra money for the new block instead of those nice expensive intake and exhaust valves. As for the S2's stage 1, that is very similiar to that of a OEM type R cam (S2 makes more whp though) I would recomend a more race style cam (ips k2, or S2 stage 2 or 3). and yes another post listed having a better intake manifold would yeild more gain. Stage 2 clutch isnt over kill in my opinion, but stage 1 isnt bad eather.

I highly recomend the k24 block/ k20 head hybrid. Nothing but good results and high whp and tourqe with that.

your hitting 13.9x currently, you would be in the 12s with a nice hybrid set up properly tuned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts