Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 442 Posts

·
Meth Blow Speed = my life
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
View attachment 305728

Want to save on gas! This will guarantee the best tune possible for your car. If you understand the basics of fuel tuning and just CANT get the tune perfect...this is your help!

This is the program that I have used (I found it almost 2 years ago when I first started messing around with K-Pro) and it will allow you to tune your partial throttle exactly where you want it in less than an hour.

If you are supercharged your cruise cam angle should be 25 degrees.

If you are N/A it will be 30 degrees and turbo it will be slightly different. This write up tells you how to tune for a cam angle that is not in an interval of 10. When you choose a cam angle besides 10, 20, 30, etc. like 25 (for example), K-pro will use your fuel values from both the 20 and the 30 degree cam angle to interpolate the data. It is impossible to tune for the 25 degree cam angle with this program, so you have to datalog BOTH the 20 and 30 degree cam angle to get exact values for 25.

Steps for use

1. Save your current calibration. Make sure your target A/F for "low load" is around 14.8 for a good efficient tune.

2. Save another copy of the calibration and name it "20 cam angle"

3. On the "20 cam angle" calibration change EVERY cam angle on the LOW CAM calibration to 20 degrees. Your low cam map should look like this...

4. Switch from closed loop to OPEN loop

5. Load the "20 cam angle" calibration to your car

6. Start car and begin datalog

7. Drive around for AT LEAST 30 minutes (this is where a power converter or a VERY long battery laptop is needed). Try and vary your driving style during the datalog to get a FULL spread of data. The longer you drive the more data you will collect and the more spread the data will be giving you better results.

8. Save datalog (name it something like "20 cam angle") and close the datalog in K-Pro (you cant have 2 programs using the datalog at once)

9. Open KAutoFuel then open the datalog. You should see a graph on the right hand side

10. Make sure the VTC angle is on the correct cam angle for that datalog or nothing will show up. The blue plane is your target and the red is your Actual!

11. These numbers represent the % change of fuel needed. From my experience they are almost EXACTLY dead on. For safety when it says to REMOVE fuel I usually remove a little less and when it says to add fuel I add a little more.

12. Open your ORIGINAL calibration and make the appropriate changes to your calibration. MAKE SURE if you are doing the 20 degree cam angle you actually make changes to the 20 DEGREE CAM ANGLE. The columns are labeled by kPA but you can just count column 1, 2, 3, in order from right to left if you want.

EXAMPLE - in my picture above I have highlighted column 6 at 3000rpm I need to remove 13% fuel. I would go to my original calibration, select the 20 degree cam angle and in column 6 at 3000rpm I would remove 11 or 12% since I want to be on the safe side. Continue with each square on the program. After you have done all of the changes switch to K-Pro and in the 2D view of your fuel map, CHECK FOR PEAKS OR DIPS in the lines. These lines need to be as smooth as possible and once you have an idea on where the "general line" of your tune is...you can move peaks back in line with the rest of the points.

13. REPEAT STEPS 2-12 except change every cam angle to 30.

14. Once 20 and 30 cam angles are fully tuned, set the cam angle on your original calibration for cruise to 25 and YOUR SET! Watch a beautiful A/F of 14.7 (or VERY CLOSE) through all your cruising.

15. There is talk about different cam angles being more fuel efficient than others so if you would like to try them out go for it. The reason I had to datalog both the 20 and the 30 degree cam angle is because 25 degrees is an interpolated number between 20 and 30 in K-Pro. It is impossible to tune for JUST the 25 degree cam angle by itself. If your best fuel economy is on the 30 degree cam angle then you only need to tune that ONE cam angle. I am supercharged so 25 degrees has been found to be the most efficient.

·
EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH
8,170 Posts
kautofuel :thumbsup:

never had the guts to try it but i'll probably do it soon. tnx for the instructions too!

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how much did ur MPG go up,

might try this, but need a stronger battery for laptop
I have been averaging 28mpg while boosting daily and a mix of city and highway driving. I am upset if I dont get 350 miles to a tank. This is a GREAT program. On the highway I have gotten 36MPG!!

so when i datalog with this i have to be in part throttle thee whole time? only an inch max on the gas pedal?
No...you are able to drive around as if your calibration was normal. If you calibration worked before then it will work if you do this. The only problem you might run into is if your calibration is too lean you might hit lean cut on open loop. You need to get your calibration in the BALLPARK before using this tool. If your calibration is a total mess then as soon as you take it off closed loop you'll lean cut like crazy. I would start with a working calibration (usually on the rich side to be safe) then you can pull out EXACTLY the amount of fuel you need using this program.

Hope that clears it up:thumbsup:

Sam

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried the program out and i guess it seems to work... I get different fuel values than kmanager lambda overlay... hmmm???

The setting button does not do anything... Anyone else have that Prob. Any software support files needed?
These numbers are going to be different that lambda overlay because this program AVERAGES your lambda values over time where K-Pro just takes ONE reading at that point in time. Every time you hit a certain RPM at a certain load you will get a different A/F value. Its just the variability of the environment your driving in. This program takes all these DIFFERENT A/F values and averages them together to give you the more accurate value of where your A/F really is over time. Its similar to the long term fuel trim K-Pro has but this only takes 30minutes.

The settings button doesnt do anything. Its just a icon for the pull down menu's to the right. Those are you settings.

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks like something worthwhile does anyone have any information on the math behind this?
I dont know the EXACT math behind this program but I can make an educated guess after using the program that it simple adds up all the A/F values at a specific point on your calibration and then divides it by the number of times you hit that point (the way to achieve an average value). Its not that complicated.

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hows the program working out for you guys?

·
EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH
8,170 Posts
hows the program working out for you guys?
i'll let you know tomorrow when i drive around... man the turbo base maps are lean as hell for me... maybe because i use sunoco 94 with 10% ethanol added ... i had to add in some places 30% for cruising... like WTF!!!!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
sweet man...I need this for real...I havent busted the 300 mile per tank mark since ive been on my 9lb pulley...seems simple enough to try...Ill have to give a shot especially with these damn gas prices man. If I understand right, you need to do 2 30 minute datalogs, 1 on the 20 deg and 1 on the 30 deg

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sweet man...I need this for real...I havent busted the 300 mile per tank mark since ive been on my 9lb pulley...seems simple enough to try...Ill have to give a shot especially with these damn gas prices man. If I understand right, you need to do 2 30 minute datalogs, 1 on the 20 deg and 1 on the 30 deg
That is correct.

Load the datalogs into the program and it will tell you what to do from there!

Since your Supercharged make sure your cruise cam angle (for your final calibration) is set for 25 degrees. Thats the best spot for us.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
That is correct.

Load the datalogs into the program and it will tell you what to do from there!

Since your Supercharged make sure your cruise cam angle (for your final calibration) is set for 25 degrees. Thats the best spot for us.
Yeh man...I have that done but no tuning in that area...JustinC and I tuned the WOT maps pretty damn good but after looking at this thread I have the suspicion my cruise maps suck ass....what kind of immediate gas mileage results did you see?

·
glory to the hypnotoad
6,295 Posts
Neat. Last year I just drove around an industrial area in open loop and dialed in my part throttle fuel curves on the few cam angles that were used in cruise. I managed to get my short and long term trims to stay at zero, which certainly did make a dramatic improvement in fuel economy. The supercharger base maps are WAY off for part throttle.

In addition, I used a stretch of highway and cruise control set at 60 and datalogged going along the same stretch of highway one day on the various cam angles to determine what cam angle at cruise produced the best fuel economy.

All of this together gets me a decent average of 25mpg with mostly city driving. I've seen 27mpg tanks with very little highway as well.

My only constructive criticism is that adjusting the light load fuel values long distances (percentage wise) is inaccurate and will take a lot of re-adjustment -- I've found a few quick datalogs/adjustments down a street in 2nd gear while I maintain a constant load via the accelerator is great for cleaning up part throttle.

Wayne

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeh man...I have that done but no tuning in that area...JustinC and I tuned the WOT maps pretty damn good but after looking at this thread I have the suspicion my cruise maps suck ass....what kind of immediate gas mileage results did you see?
I went from 24mpg very little highway to around 30+mpg mainly city and a little highway. Going from the base map you will find the most improvement (6+mpg). You will see an drastic improvement over the base supercharge maps and you will actually feel a little performance improvement while cruising due to the proper fuel ratios. EVERY time I make changes to my calibration I re-do this program and I always find a decent improvement in gas mileage (usually 4-5mpg).

The base map is just rich as hell so everyone can load it and it works. Tune some of this fuel out and you'll see a great difference.

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Neat. Last year I just drove around an industrial area in open loop and dialed in my part throttle fuel curves on the few cam angles that were used in cruise. I managed to get my short and long term trims to stay at zero, which certainly did make a dramatic improvement in fuel economy. The supercharger base maps are WAY off for part throttle.

In addition, I used a stretch of highway and cruise control set at 60 and datalogged going along the same stretch of highway one day on the various cam angles to determine what cam angle at cruise produced the best fuel economy.

All of this together gets me a decent average of 25mpg with mostly city driving. I've seen 27mpg tanks with very little highway as well.

My only constructive criticism is that adjusting the light load fuel values long distances (percentage wise) is inaccurate and will take a lot of re-adjustment -- I've found a few quick datalogs/adjustments down a street in 2nd gear while I maintain a constant load via the accelerator is great for cleaning up part throttle.

Wayne
I was afraid of this too when I first started messing with this program. So when I saw it telling me to remove over 18% fuel I usually would only remove MAX 18% at a time EVEN if it said to remove 25%+. I have followed these values exactly and have never run into a situation where I removed too much fuel by doing what the program averaged out to. BUT...as Raz has stated...taking a LOT away at once can be a little risky and will result in future datalogs needing to be done. I would only take away 18% MAX at a time when called for.

1 - 20 of 442 Posts