Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 442 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
ok....I just did this...took about 1.5 to 2 hours total...not too bad when you talk about the fuel mileage increase....definitely glad I did this though. My KAutoFuel numbers reflected the rich A/F ratios.

20 Cam

30Cam

After following stwatson's thread I saw numbers in and around 14.7...VERY GOOD!....

I just put 329 on a tank with all highway before this tune. It came out to about 27 MPG which isnt that great for all highway. I will post up numbers on my current tank with city/highway and frequent boosting. I look forward to seeing improvements :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Sam!

·
Meth Blow Speed = my life
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
WOW man! You REALLY needed to use this. Your column 5 was rich as FUCK!! You will DEF see a massive increase in gas mileage after this change. Congrats:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
WOW man! You REALLY needed to use this. Your column 5 was rich as FUCK!! You will DEF see a massive increase in gas mileage after this change. Congrats:thumbsup:
thanks a ton man...like I said, Im looking forward to the increases in MPG...youre the man!..thanks...this should be a sticky:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I know to leave the first column alone, I dont have any values there anyway.

Should we compensate with the program on column 2 or should we leave that one alone?

I did Col. 3-7 1500rpm to 4000rpm and I haven't driven much to test mileage but it was not that far off on the 30 deg(cruise).

Can we use this for col 8-10 if there's enough data or just use the lambda overlay?

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I know to leave the first column alone, I dont have any values there anyway.

Should we compensate with the program on column 2 or should we leave that one alone?

I did Col. 3-7 1500rpm to 4000rpm and I haven't driven much to test mileage but it was not that far off on the 30 deg(cruise).

Can we use this for col 8-10 if there's enough data or just use the lambda overlay?
you can do column 2 if you want but you will never use it while cruising. Plus...the fuel you use down there is so minimal you wont notice a difference.

This program does not work well for 8-10 degrees. Just use the lambda overlay for tuning medium load and high load (WOT).

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
This program does not work well for 8-10 degrees. Just use the lambda overlay for tuning medium load and high load (WOT).
If you're N/A, you can good amount of data in columns 8-10, just floor it at ~1500 rpm in 4th or 5th.

You could do the same with a S/C if you can rig up a way to hold the bypass valve open.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
hey guys, my cruise cam angle is 30 deg for most of the rev ranges.. now if you look at this pic of my part throttle datalog of the 30 deg cam angle you will see it fluctuates from 25-35 degs at part throttle.. now I have already done 20 deg and 30 deg datalogs.. my question is, is it safe to do a 40 deg datalog as well? not sure if its good to use 40 deg on the low cam.. someone fill me in thanks..

*EDIT* if your wondering why its fluctuating like that.. i have no idea.. but my kal had all 30 deg cam angles on the low cam for that datalog.. on my regular kal i also get fluctuations like that

Attachments

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
If you're on stock cams, it is perfectly safe to make low-cam map with everything at 40 deg cam advance.

Some cam fluctuation is normal. Mine usually varies by plus or minus 1 or 2 degrees. More variation than that might be something you want to check out.

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yes you can try 40 degrees for partial throttle. Just watch your knock sensor and make sure your not knocking...if you are then I would abort the idea.

yea...that looks really odd. I've never looked at mine in a graph but I will just to compare to you and see if this is normal.

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,225 Posts
you guys have a long way to go to convince me that using 40 degree cam angle at part throttle will improve mileage. I doubt that 30 degrees in closed loop can be beat for N/A. have you ever thought that you're subconsciously granny driving at the new settings to get better mileage? but keep the results coming, I live to be told I'm wrong.

BTW, I changed my spark plugs earlier this week at 55k miles, new Denso's, don't have long term results yet, but my estimate is around 10% increase in mileage so far. this will pay for itself in 3 months or less.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Am I the only one who only gets figures from 3k to 3.5k?

I did a run the other day for 30 mins making sure I didn't go above 3.5k and did all my driving between 1.5k and 3.5k to tune for town driving but only got figures for 3-3.5 :dontknow:

I did 2 other 30 min runs just driving normally and still only got figures for 3-3.5.

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
are you sure you changed ALL of your cam angles to 20 or 30. If you just changed one area then you will only get results from that area of the calibration where you changed it.

Also...you need to try and keep the rpm's in that area while driving. You cant just hit 2Krpm once and cruise on the highway between 3 and 3.5 and expect that one 2K mark to get data. You need to be in stop and go traffic and highway cruising. If 30 minutes did not get you a good enough spread try driving for 45 minutes.

Good Luck

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
you guys have a long way to go to convince me that using 40 degree cam angle at part throttle will improve mileage. I doubt that 30 degrees in closed loop can be beat for N/A. have you ever thought that you're subconsciously granny driving at the new settings to get better mileage? but keep the results coming, I live to be told I'm wrong.

BTW, I changed my spark plugs earlier this week at 55k miles, new Denso's, don't have long term results yet, but my estimate is around 10% increase in mileage so far. this will pay for itself in 3 months or less.
agreed on the 40 degree cam angle. For supercharged (and from others I've seen) 25 - 30 degrees is going to be your best bet.

·
Registered
198 Posts
are you sure you changed ALL of your cam angles to 20 or 30. If you just changed one area then you will only get results from that area of the calibration where you changed it.

Also...you need to try and keep the rpm's in that area while driving. You cant just hit 2Krpm once and cruise on the highway between 3 and 3.5 and expect that one 2K mark to get data. You need to be in stop and go traffic and highway cruising. If 30 minutes did not get you a good enough spread try driving for 45 minutes.

Good Luck
I locked down the low cam to 30 all over and was driving in town so was regularly driving between 1.5k to 3.5k.

I'm super charged but can't see why that would make a difference.

I only get the table that shows from 3k up on the autofuel program. The other table thats from 500rpm ( not sure if it is that figure but it's around that) never shows any data. Which I'm guessing is why it stops the figures at 3.5 as thats my VTEC crossover point.

41 - 60 of 442 Posts