Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Custom airbox?

Tags
airbox custom
21K views 38 replies 8 participants last post by  RunningDC5 
#1 ·
Hi so I will be staring a custom air box mod reason being I have short ram getting heal soak like a mofo and the fan kicks on and it blows hot air straight into the intake it's usually sitting at 104F sometimes a little higher. So I want to do something about it. I got a old air box from a friend as a gift and I saw Hondata had a custom mod you could do to it.
https://www.hondata.com/index.php?_route_=tech-rsx-airbox
But I was thinking of going beyond that and getting the whole thing gutted. That's the idea now I also was wondering is there some kind of spray or coating I can put on the inside of the intake manifold so it can stay a little more colder? I also was thinking of putting that heat shield on the box like what they put under your cabin and over the headers. I thought that was over kill. So I want to hear ideas and I want to see pics of your guys set up . Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 ·
I was using a short ram intake so that's why I've been making the air box and yesterday I filled up and got 260 so 30 more then I did with the ram previously. I used to get 280 with the ram but I also used fuel additives to clean it. Now I added a fuel additive and filled it up hopefully I reach 300.

#30 ·
Was lookin for some custom intakes done on an RSX and stumbled upon this thread.

I've had an SRI, a couple CAIs, and eventually went back to a box for throttle response. Also tried to deal with IATs, which btw it's good the OP is lookin to help with IATs. It hits 110s in the summer where I live lol.

Here's where it draws it's air. It's just dryer hose from Lowes, there's better ($$) hose for this purpose available.

Goes to the stock airbox, didn't even gut it:

Upper hose is silicone, stock elbows kept ripping due to the RBC (outdated I know lol)

And like the OP's, I added insulation. Trying to be lowkey, I only did the bottom half-- I think most of the heat would come from the header anyway, but insulation the top would have been better. Maybe I'll do some gold tape some day.

Of course, there is still heat soak when sitting and the sensor itself sits inside the engine bay, but if it's in motion, IATs are within 10-15 of ambient.

#33 ·
Update on gas mileage got some Lucas fuel treatment and went on a 4 hour trip and I was going 80mph the majority of the time and got around 340 miles on a tank so that’s a good sign for me. I guess I wasn’t driving it far enough!

#37 ·
With rbc manifold and shut airbox did not fit or hold up lmao.my great friend ended up making me a 2.75in intake to a 3.5jn pipe with a velocity stack that was about 4inch to a 6inch filter it does sound crazy but it all looks so simple when you look at it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.