Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
NewbiEP3
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
newbie question...
**Car is Stock, until after college**

Can I take this (2.25" resonator): http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php…
and this (2.25" muffler): http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php…
to a local muffler shop and have them make a custom exhaust for me? or do I need to more? Like a 2.25" pipe that goes from the catalytic convertor to the resonator, or is that stock pipe fine?

I am replacing both sort of out of necessity as they are... well... falling off and I am using this as an excuse to put on something that I want... haha! ;)

·
Registered
671 Posts
I think you should ask the shop if they can do it, and get a good estimate of how much and what all they will need to do it. But yes they should be able to do it.

·
NewbiEP3
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you should ask the shop if they can do it, and get a good estimate of how much and what all they will need to do it. But yes they should be able to do it.
Well... The reason I am asking is most shops, that I've asked, want to weld pipe directly to the parts rather than using a flange. So it is kinda permanent. Because of that, I want to make sure the stock pipe that goes from Catalytic Convertor --> Resonator is A.O.K. to keep. Or if I should open it up to a 2.25 pipe.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Ok, I see what your saying now. Yes, they should be able to keep the stock pipe from the cat to the res. At least that's how my car was set up when I first got it. Once my cat went bad. I just had the shop remove the cat completely and run a straight pipe. But I understand this may not be an option for all as some states have emissions testing.

·
NewbiEP3
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I see what your saying now. Yes, they should be able to keep the stock pipe from the cat to the res. At least that's how my car was set up when I first got it. Once my cat went bad. I just had the shop remove the cat completely and run a straight pipe. But I understand this may not be an option for all as some states have emissions testing.
Gotcha. Since they are fabricating a custom exhaust (with 2.25" vibrant parts) anyway is it beneficial to open up that Cat->Res pipe up to 2.25"? or not really?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Is it beneficial for the car? Absolutely, less restriction and better air flow= more useable power.

But like I said you have to factor in your state emissions laws, if there are any? If they clear the cat, then there's a possibility you may not pass emissions testing. But I'm pretty sure if it's a reputable shop they'll give you all the details unless they just don't care and just want your cheese.

·
NewbiEP3
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it beneficial for the car? Absolutely, less restriction and better air flow= more useable power.

But like I said you have to factor in your state emissions laws, if there are any? If they clear the cat, then there's a possibility you may not pass emissions testing. But I'm pretty sure if it's a reputable shop they'll give you all the details unless they just don't care and just want your cheese.
Well I live in Michigan... So no emission checks here! ;)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Oh your golden then, I live in FL no emissions either, I just deleted the cat and straight piped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts