Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
sonic boom!
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I was gonna buy some regular Koni yellows but after reading around on here I found out that they could only support a ~1.6 inch drop without blowing. I've heard of getting custom valve settings and was wondering if you guys knew about how much it costs to get them custom valved to fit a ~2.5 - 3 inch drop?
-thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
Hey all, I was gonna buy some regular Koni yellows but after reading around on here I found out that they could only support a ~1.6 inch drop without blowing. I've heard of getting custom valve settings and was wondering if you guys knew about how much it costs to get them custom valved to fit a ~2.5 - 3 inch drop?
-thanks in advance.
Is it that hard to contact Koni directly?

I like how people come on here asking for customer service support for manufacturers. So stupid. Call or e-mail them?

·
9,306 Posts
^^^theres no reason to be rude man. at least his question is legitimate.
maybe his question should be restated to: has anyone had their koni's custom valved?? if so how much did it cost you.

·
sonic boom!
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it that hard to contact Koni directly?

I like how people come on here asking for customer service support for manufacturers. So stupid. Call or e-mail them?

Holy shit thanks so much for the kind words man, greatly appreciate it :rolleyes:... and I'm sure Koni wouldn't be answering my questions at night time as well. I just wanted an estimated price since it popped up in my mind about how much I want shocks.

Maybe I should have restated the question if I knew i would get a response like yours.

To allexrsx, thanks for restatement lol.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
i had mine custom valved.
cost more than buying brand new OTS valved.
the customs guy keep asking me why i didn;t just buy new

and no, revalving doesn;t solve the problem of unable to drop that low.
people blow them because they bottom out. revalving won;t stop them from bottoming out at 2~3" drop.

if you want to drop that low, koni is not for you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
but they shorten the shaft of the 8610 for straight springs aplications dont they? and in this way u can go lower,

so besides, rebuilding and revalving to wichever spec, they also do this

·
The doctor is in
960 Posts
but they shorten the shaft of the 8610 for straight springs aplications dont they? and in this way u can go lower,

so besides, rebuilding and revalving to wichever spec, they also do this
They can cut the piston shaft on an 8610 and shorten it that way but depending on who does the work it could get expensive. Honestly if you are looking for more of a drop, the 8611 is a better choice but once again they're ~$350 per damper but they come in a collapsed length that is 1.18" shorter. Also even with roll center adjusters, optimized alignment, and stiffer springs w/ adj dampers, dropping the car 2.5" to 3" will adversly affect handling so you're probably better of w/ BC's or Tein because it will be a cheaper solution.

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Look, dropping a dc5/ep3 that much is st00pid imo but if you want custom koni work done, go to these guys...

http://www.truechoice.com/

They can shorten the whole shock for you if you want....I know its 110 per shock for a revalve....I know some one that priced some custom biult konis in the stock honsings and it was 330 a corner if he supplied the housings....

It would be better is you waited till around the end of sept or oct as these guys do most of the "koni challange" and miata cup work....The guy that runs the tech shop name is phil, give him a call if you really know what you want.;)

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
Holy shit thanks so much for the kind words man, greatly appreciate it :rolleyes:... and I'm sure Koni wouldn't be answering my questions at night time as well. I just wanted an estimated price since it popped up in my mind about how much I want shocks.

Maybe I should have restated the question if I knew i would get a response like yours.

To allexrsx, thanks for restatement lol.
I should've just given you a proper answer and told you to get K-sport or Megan Racing.

BTW: Koni offers free rebuild at some national events.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts