Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

cybernations + greddy vs sniffer?

1K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  RsxManJoe 
#1 ·
ok since i live in CA it sucks, i have to be ok on the emissions... i would have to run the greddy turbo if i want to stay carb legal assuming they get approved. CN seems way cheaper and cost a whole lot less... what do you guys think? is there any way to pass the sniffer with a CN turbo kit? what if i run the greddy kit with 550cc injectors, cn rods and pistons and guardian. think that would give me the same power and pass smog at the same time?

#2 ·
sk said:
ok since i live in CA it sucks, i have to be ok on the emissions... i would have to run the greddy turbo if i want to stay carb legal assuming they get approved. CN seems way cheaper and cost a whole lot less... what do you guys think? is there any way to pass the sniffer with a CN turbo kit? what if i run the greddy kit with 550cc injectors, cn rods and pistons and guardian. think that would give me the same power and pass smog at the same time?
Im going to be buying the Greddy with the same set-up yopu have listed this summer. Greddy is supposed to get it done by this summer. At least this is what they tell me.

#4 ·
cn seems way cheaper and costs a lot less? uhhh

but anyways, i think you will be much happier with the cybernation but it costs a decent amount more...wait for the guardian to come out before you buy though :)

#5 ·
sk said:

i think good old ben franklyin can help you pass the emission ;)

#8 · (Edited)
MrBurner said:
p.s. a greddy kit will not make as much power since the turbo is smaller...by a LOT

I'm well aware that the greddy turbo makes alot less wheel horsepower than Cybernation. I'm not debating that issue. I'm looking for something that when the Police Chief comes by my house (lives two doors down) I have something safe and legal on my car that he cannot say anything about. I know it makes less horsepower, but in my mind it is more streetable. And hell if I ever feel the need for more boost I can just swap in a 18g turbo and some pistons and rods like Kenji said. Horsepower isn't everything in my mind.

EDIT: And yes I do know that their could be potential problems with the e-manage....thats why I will be replacing it with the Gaurdian. :D .

Thats my opinion

#9 ·
sk said:
what if i run the greddy kit with 550cc injectors, cn rods and pistons and guardian. think that would give me the same power and pass smog at the same time?

extreem...i was responding to the above

#11 · (Edited)
MrBurner said:
cn seems way cheaper and costs a lot less? uhhh
:iamwiths: The CN kit without a doubt is not cheaper, and definately not alot cheaper. If you include everything for both kits it comes out about the same. Here is a rough estimate. CN kit $3995.00 (comes with everything including gauges). Greddy kit, $2,500 + $700 (intercooler) + the price of 3 gauges and you should still be at about $500 cheaper with the Greddy. Let's assume u buy the Guardian and junk your e-manage and you are now pretty much even. Am I forgetting anything? Yes, I am. Lets scrap the Guardian idea and buy a BOV for $200. Now u r about $300 cheaper then the CN kit.

#12 ·
Personally, for the money, I think CN would be the best idea, simply because you get almost everything you would need. It's a true kit that is full and functional, whereas the greddy kit, looks cheaper by the initial tag, but you get screwed with the individual pieces that you must buy to make it a complete kit.

#13 ·
Extreem, so if greddy get's the carb # does it mean that it will "pass" visual inspection during a smog check? It is basically for visual passing during inspection right?

Also, Pearl RSX, do you think a technican will just pass your smog with a $100 or $200? If so, does anyone know of a smog center that does that in the 707 area or bay area? I wonder if I need to do a smog check in my local area or can I go somewhere else for that?hmmm

#15 ·
This is from Greddy's site. I don't see an A/F gauge so I listed the pyro since I assume it would be about the same price.

HON RSX 2002-on Front 31V w/ GReddy turbo 12050029 $995.00

ACU RSX Type S 2002-on T517Z cast manif. w/ e-manage & 440cc inj. 11550033 $3,449.00

Elec. BOOST GAUGE White 52mm Green 736mmHG TO 2.0 kg/cm2 16001001 $158.00

Elec. E.G.T. GAUGE White 52mm Green 300C TO 1200C 16001003 $188.00

Total Greddy Cost with out Gauges - $4494

Total Greddy Cost with Gauges - $4790

CN Stage I kit with Gauges and Intercooler - $3995

Greddy Cheaper?

#16 · (Edited)
I think you can get the Greddy Kit for $2450 and the intercooler for $725 currently.
Retail sucks.

But cybernation's kit comes with 550cc injectors vs. Greddy's 440cc injectors meaning more capacity for boost and power.

Plus you would most likely need the K-pro or some other piggy back to run it efficiently ~$500 to $1000 for the Greddy kit.

I'm still deciding between Greddy and Cybernation. Guardian where are you.

#18 ·
Luckyboyee777 said:
Extreem, so if greddy get's the carb # does it mean that it will "pass" visual inspection during a smog check? It is basically for visual passing during inspection right?

Also, Pearl RSX, do you think a technican will just pass your smog with a $100 or $200? If so, does anyone know of a smog center that does that in the 707 area or bay area? I wonder if I need to do a smog check in my local area or can I go somewhere else for that?hmmm
If Greddy is granted a CARB E.O. #, it is legal to use in unaltered form on street driven vehicles in the State of CA. If granted, this means that Greddy has submitted a kit for examination by the State of CA, who found that it didn't increase exhaust emissions from the vehicle. If you alter your CARB exempted kit, you can be cited. Example, bigger turbocharger than that which was covered under the exemption. Reality is if your CARB exempted Greddy kit has mods that are dificult for a police officer or even smog tech to notice, like more boost, or a bigger turbo that looks the same, etc, you will probably be ok, as long as it still runs clean.

No one here is stupid enough to provide the name of a smog tech who will, ehem, "pass" your car. The penalties are very, very stiff if they are caught. Can it be done? Sure. My old Sentra "passed" this way. This is where word of mouth comes in, and not words across the internet.

AJ

#21 ·
Thanks for the info AJ, but what about adding an intercooler to the kit? I know that the greddy kit doesn't come with a intercooler, so is adding an intercooler considered an "alteration" of the original carb approval of the kit?

If this is so, then that would suck because the intercooler allows for safer boosting and more power. I want more than 50 whp gains but I want to stay as legal as possible like some ppl in california.

#22 ·
Boost Junkie said:
This is from Greddy's site. I don't see an A/F gauge so I listed the pyro since I assume it would be about the same price.

ACU RSX Type S 2002-on T517Z cast manif. w/ e-manage & 440cc inj. 11550033 $3,449.00

Greddy Cheaper?
isn't the CN kit going down to $3799 when the guardian comes out? thought i read that on the web forums on the cybernation site

#23 ·
Boost Junkie said:

Greddy Cheaper?
FMIC usually sells around 700-750 - 750
Greddy kit - 2400-2600.00 2600.00
White face boost gauge from autometer - 60.00
EGT gauge - somewhere around 120 -120.00

Thats somewhere around 3500.00....actually i paid 3050.00 for the kit and intercooler so I dont know where you get your pricing from unless your referring to MSRP but who really pays that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.