Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Canon 5D MkII
42,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is this D.I.Y.: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=317874&highlight=jdm+steering+wheel where you have to swap the airbags between the covers. There is an easier way where you don't have to swap the airbag and mess with the factory rivets. I would definitely recommend this way over the other one. You just have to remove 4 bolts and the bullet of sort. It's the thing with the plug in in that causes the airbag to deploy.

The thing I am pointing at is what you need to take out:

You can see the 3 of the 4 bolts that need to be taken off. You can't really get a wrench or socket on them so you have to use vice grips to get them off.

Once off it should look like this:

Once you have both off you just need to swap them and plug it back up and your good to go.

The pic is of the JDM unit due to the fact I had a friend do the swap and forgot my camera at home. You should get the point though.

And this is what it looks like on top and bottom:

As you can see it only has 1 clip due to the JDM one's only being single stage. The U.S. ones are dual stage.

Props to Jaded'05 http://forums.clubrsx.com/member.php?u=53613 for giving me the idea.

·
Media Guy
1,595 Posts
U all have some balls removing airbag firing mods.

Thats one thing I would never mess with. I have seen the force of what those can produce.

But mad props for showin and doin.

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
U all have some balls removing airbag firing mods.

Thats one thing I would never mess with. I have seen the force of what those can produce.

But mad props for showin and doin.
lol, probably why he had his friend do it for him.

·
Canon 5D MkII
42,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What exactly does this do to make it work?
It will plug up to the factory harness. If you don't do the swap it won't plug up.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I thought the US was a dual stage airbag, and the JDM one was single stage. Does dual and single stage just have to do with the way the air bag deploys?

·
Canon 5D MkII
42,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought the US was a dual stage airbag, and the JDM one was single stage. Does dual and single stage just have to do with the way the air bag deploys?
You're right and I'm not sure.

·
over rated
11,658 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
anyone wanna throw some tips on here that WOULD make that airbag go while doing this so we know what not to do? :) i will swapping steering wheels over the winter!

·
over rated
11,658 Posts
anyone wanna throw some tips on here that WOULD make that airbag go while doing this so we know what not to do? :) i will swapping steering wheels over the winter!
the most important thing to do is ground urself, make sure u dont have any static electricty build up. b4 handling the airbag, touch something else thats metal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts