Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I didn't want to spend the $50+ bucks for a PasswordJDM license plate relocation so I decided to try to make one. It turned out pretty easy and pretty good.

Tools involved:
Dremel with cut wheel
10mm Socket
Magic Marker
Angle guage from home depot ($4.19)

First here is a look of the angle guage

I first took the bracket off of my front bumper using a 10mm socket. Then I took that bracket and placed it on the angle guage and marked the holes for drilling

Now I have my location holes

From there I took my drill and drilled out the holes. I first took my self tapping punch to make indents for the drill bits to hold. I started with a smaller bit and worked into a larger one.

Now I bolted up the bar to check on the fitment. It fit pretty damn good.

Now if you notice the bar is pretty long so we need to cut it down to size. I eye balled the location to cut and marked it in marker while the bar was still attached to the bumper.

Then I took it off and using my dremel tool I cut it down to size

I then placed it back on to check for fitment. Make sure its inside the bumper grill. If not trim some more.

Now depending on your front end you can move on to adding the license plate or do like I did and angle the bar. My front bumper isn't strait so I needed to angle it. To do so I made marking in the shape of a triangle to bend the bar easier. And then cut it out.

Now I am able to bend the bar with ease into the shape

From there I grabbed my License plate and held it to the bar. I trace out the holes with marker

Again center punch and drill out the holes. So now I have holes on both sides of the bar and my bar is angled.

Bolt on your license plate

And bam! You have a D.I.Y front license plate relocation bracket!! Good luck!

·
Bańned
12,106 Posts
thanks... now i have to add all these to my diy list...

:rotfl: gj dude. looks legit

·
did it 4 teh lulz
1,203 Posts
I have an even cheaper one than the $16 and it's fully adjustable :thumbsup:
Lol, i did this today...i think i modified it a bit different from yours..but used yours as a base :) i primered the metal and sprayed it a metallic black, cant really tell but it hides the metal lol

·
Registered
535 Posts
I did this on my 02. Could've used the stock license plate holder holes, but I didn't feel like twisting the angle gauge to match the angle the holes are at. Just drill two holes in the top of your bumper and use nuts and bolts to keep it tight.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The only problem with this mod is.. One piece of aluminum to hold your license plate. Well that part is fine. But when you cut the V in it to bend it you loose some strength there.

I remember pulling aluminum wiring out of a build when I did renos. That stuff doesn't retain it's strength after only a few bends. Anyways, so what happens when it breaks there after all the vibration and wind after x amount of time?

I will tell you what happens, you're on the free way one day and it flies off hits the windshield of another vehicle, causes and accident, then you gotta deal with the consequences.. Or try to run and hide, but nowadays with everyone having camera phones and shit, good luck!

I would have began making a license plate with proper reinforcement, however.. When my car was backed into and had the bumper redone, the guys at the shop drilled a nice hole into my bumper to reinforce my plastic license plate holder to it. I really didn't want to look at that every day when I check out my sexy car :/ So Until I come up with a solution to that, my license plate holder is on hold.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts