Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
** NEW PICS ON PAGE 2 and 3** Hey everyone, Ive been looking around at alot of the tutorials on caraudio.com and figured I'd give this DIY project a try . Honestly its not that hard . Just time consuming, very smelly,and some what messy . Ive been trying to do this on the days the weather is nice (Northeast weather :thumbsdow) so its taking some time but its coming along .I still have to put the carpet on the pod which Ive been waiting for from a local shop ...
I still have to make the passenger side to do which should be a little easier then the driver side.
Used my sisters car btw lol

·
Registered
772 Posts
did you use that body filler or the all purpose fiberglass resin

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I used the all purpose resin . Then sanded it down with 80 grit then 100 . I didnt have to use the body filler so I might be returning it soon.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^Thats what I thought also lol .I tryed getting the best imaging but without sacrificing foot room and this specific position worked out the best . It does not interfere with the clutch pedal at all . My Shoes dont even rub on the pod one bit . Plus once I bolt them to the side It should pull it a little closer to the metal , therefore making it further away from the pedal.

·
Super Moderator
259,516 Posts
Those came out good, looking forward to the finished prodect :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ I was thinken about sanding down extremely smooth and then bring them to a shop to get them sprayed black and then put a nice clearcoat on them . But then decided to just go with black speaker box carpet because it seems like it will hold up a little better . If I sprayed and cleared them they might get scratched over time .

·
Super Moderator
259,516 Posts
I think the carpet will make them blend in better myself.

·
zomg zomg
3,009 Posts
Where are you going to rest your foot now lol, looks good, did anything seap through that painters tape.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ LOL I know, Ill have to get used to it ... Id rather have an accurate sound stage instead of the dead pedal though . So its all good lol . But as for the painters tape ... Nothing at all leaked through . I layed Aluminum Foil down first then put on alot of tape . The aluminum foil helped keep the shape of the car . I am going to write up a DIY in hopefully a few days once I get more pics taken.

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
^ LOL I know, Ill have to get used to it ... Id rather have an accurate sound stage instead of the dead pedal though . So its all good lol . But as for the painters tape ... Nothing at all leaked through . I layed Aluminum Foil down first then put on alot of tape . The aluminum foil helped keep the shape of the car . I am going to write up a DIY in hopefully a few days once I get more pics taken.
You will get used to no dead pedal, After I put my Kicks in about 2 weeks latter I had do a road trip to Dallas for a National Sales meeting and on the way back to Austin I Didn't notice it any more, if you use bondo on the outer portion and primer and paint them ( I just used Krylon) they won't get scratched up, plus if they do it will buff out or you can sand the spot and repaint. Ill take a camera phone pic later for and install pic but heres what mine look like (03blackRSX1028 I think I pm'ed these to you a while back)

Reactions: Nick Gerz

·
VTAK very serious!
2,603 Posts
Nice looks good I have been trying to find that other thread of the guy who did the fiberglass sub box on the side of the trunk but no luck. Oh yeah let us know how it sounds.

Reactions: 03blackRSX1028

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You will get used to no dead pedal, After I put my Kicks in about 2 weeks latter I had do a road trip to Dallas for a National Sales meeting and on the way back to Austin I Didn't notice it any more, if you use bondo on the outer portion and primer and paint them ( I just used Krylon) they won't get scratched up, plus if they do it will buff out or you can sand the spot and repaint. Ill take a camera phone pic later for and install pic but heres what mine look like (03blackRSX1028 I think I pm'ed these to you a while back)
Right now there are no blemishes on the fiberglass and the whole pods is extremely smooth with absolutely no imperfections . Do you think I should still use some bondo and then sand that down nice and good. >?? Thanks for the input . and yea you sent me those picks and damn do they look nice man ..

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice looks good I have been trying to find that other thread of the guy who did the fiberglass sub box on the side of the trunk but no luck. Oh yeah let us know how it sounds.
Thanks man ,, Yea Im going to try to make a good DIY guide in a few days .. And Ill definitly keep it updated :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts