Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

821 - 840 of 866 Posts

·
It's a Freakin Integra
51 Posts
maybe a noob question but why is K-Pro needed for the swap to work? I just got a k24a2 longblock for dirt cheap and plan on starting the work in a month. last thing i want is to turn the key and get nothing.

Also, getting innovative mounts, and a stage 1 clutch. anything else recommended that i upgrade. hoping to go boost in a year or 2 also.

·
Mike
39 Posts
Tuning basically. It's a whole different engine with different timing, fuel map, etc..
I may be wrong but I think you're still able to start without K-pro, but it'll run poorly.
It's no use doing the swap without K-pro, you'll be downgrading.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
You need Kpro. No ifs ands or buts. Like stated, its a totally different motor than what the OEM computer is programmed for. My suggestion is to get more than a stage one clutch. I had the CC 1.5 and it didn't last very long. Get at least a 2, especially if you're going to boost it too. I would also suggest different mounts. Go with rubber instead of poly. Get Hardrace or Vibratechnics.

·
It's a Freakin Integra
51 Posts
thanks for the info. definitely going to make those changes. exedy stage 2 and hardrace mounts. I'm surprised how affordable hardrace mounts were. not much more than the innovatives.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
thanks for the info. definitely going to make those changes. exedy stage 2 and hardrace mounts. I'm surprised how affordable hardrace mounts were. not much more than the innovatives.
Make sure you get the "race" mounts. The street version are basically just OEM replacements.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone have trouble with the engine harness going through the firewall I cant seem to get it through is there a trick to it????

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
^ I'd like to know why. If you plan on modifying the engine like the OP did with the RBC, sure it's kinda obvious. But what if I just want a bone stock swap? Why doesn't it make sense to use a TSX ECU?

I'm thinking of doing a stock TSX swap into my base auto eventually and keeping it stock and automatic; I simply want more power out of my dependable daily and what better way than to do it as Honda themselves would have. I have experience with an extremely similar swap in an older Honda, which ran prefectly with the factory ECU from the donor car. I'm missing the logic here, so can someone please give a more solid answer than "no?"

Is it a security thing, 'cos I thought you could get the keys matched to any new ECU you might swap in?

*ED. - also, there's no modding of the A3 harness despite the difference in VTEC systems?

·
Fast and Furious
585 Posts
because

^ I'd like to know why. If you plan on modifying the engine like the OP did with the RBC, sure it's kinda obvious. But what if I just want a bone stock swap? Why doesn't it make sense to use a TSX ECU?

I'm thinking of doing a stock TSX swap into my base auto eventually and keeping it stock and automatic; I simply want more power out of my dependable daily and what better way than to do it as Honda themselves would have. I have experience with an extremely similar swap in an older Honda, which ran prefectly with the factory ECU from the donor car. I'm missing the logic here, so can someone please give a more solid answer than "no?"

Is it a security thing, 'cos I thought you could get the keys matched to any new ECU you might swap in?

*ED. - also, there's no modding of the A3 harness despite the difference in VTEC systems?
transmissions are different, ratios ect. I have kpro and base auto. even if you swap in tsx motor ecu and tranny any system not utilized will throw codes. kpro is better than a swap with no kpro. Get kpro... before swap or regret not listening to everyone with kpro and swaps in the forums of all crsx k20a ect thinking you know better.:laughat:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I'm not thinking I know better, it's just that your post is the first I've been able to find of an actual explanation. And I do thank you for that. Every other response honestly does sound like the first guy to perform the swap said "KPro only" and no one questioned it. It's common enough for people to be quick to say you need a tune for any swap when I know personally that it's far from true. So despite the antagonism... thanks.

*ED. - Actually, wait... do you even have personal experience with this swap? You came off harsh enough, I figured I'd look through your threads to see how you handled it. A lot of threads throwing out ideas, none of them seeing one through. So has anyone on here tried the TSX ECU? At this point, I'm still thinking it's worth trying.

·
Fast and Furious
585 Posts
its easy to know more than me.. im not there yet, but i will be

I'm not thinking I know better, it's just that your post is the first I've been able to find of an actual explanation. And I do thank you for that. Every other response honestly does sound like the first guy to perform the swap said "KPro only" and no one questioned it. It's common enough for people to be quick to say you need a tune for any swap when I know personally that it's far from true. So despite the antagonism... thanks.

*ED. - Actually, wait... do you even have personal experience with this swap? You came off harsh enough, I figured I'd look through your threads to see how you handled it. A lot of threads throwing out ideas, none of them seeing one through. So has anyone on here tried the TSX ECU? At this point, I'm still thinking it's worth trying.
sorry about any harshness, I assume you were talking to me. how will your tsx ecu control your rsx transmission? I have a k24a4 from 03 element I will be installing in the spring time (Michigan winters...) I have 2 ecu's and a joels custom ecu harness/splitter plus full bolt-ons, AEM V2, Rbc, DCRH. so my stock auto ecu controls the trans and the 02-04 kpro controls the motor. when I go k24 it will be the same. And add obsessive rsx love and voila! I would like to see a full swap tsx motor ecu trans if you can figure it out. the tsx auto trans might be better geared for heavier car. also having joel make you a tsx dual ecu harness might be plausible. so tsx auto ecu controls trans and kpro does motor. any ecu functions not utilized by rsx might throw codes. The right amount of work, research, time, and $$$ can get you anything! Look at redrum or anointed.
I just see a lot of people trying really hard to avoid the best mod you can get for your rsx....KPRO. that's why I say kpro 1st then your ready for everything else and don't have to re-reinvent the wheel.:vtec:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I'm just trying to figure out whether it CAN control the RSX transmission correctly. In my last car I had both an Accord TCU controlling a Prelude transmission and later a Prelude TCU controlling an Accord transmission with no issue. I don't see taking the simplest method (if possible) as reinventing the wheel.

What exactly does KPro change in regards to the transmission controls?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks Rick!

As the title states Thank you Rick for the write up.My k20a3 bit the dust after 240k at Road Atlanta and I just swapped a K24A2 in the EP3. Its awesome! pulled 180hp 180tq at the dyno and the exhaust and intake are not sorted out yet! Quick question, if you dont mind. You say to use the EVAP piping form the EP3/base RSX. Well I just hooked all to the K24 piping and its fine. The setup on the K24 is a bit different as there is something at the end of the piping not sure if its just an equivalent of the test port that's on the A3.Why did you use the A3 piping? I am using the RBB manifold that came with the K24A2 and there is a hose that hooks up to an electronic sensor/valve that seems to have vacuum hoses to the intake ( on the passenger side). Research shows that this is just for the engine mount, but i haven't found any concrete evidence that I am correct. Should this be deleted or it doesn't hurt leaving it on there?

Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm just trying to figure out whether it CAN control the RSX transmission correctly. In my last car I had both an Accord TCU controlling a Prelude transmission and later a Prelude TCU controlling an Accord transmission with no issue. I don't see taking the simplest method (if possible) as reinventing the wheel.

What exactly does KPro change in regards to the transmission controls?
It doesn't change anything it just lets you pick the transmission you have, as so you don't have to re-invent the wheel!
:vtec:
Get a KPRO !!!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
And yet Hondata insists that KPro isn't compatible with automatics. I know it can be done with an adapter, I've seen the examples on here, but that leads me to believe that there's no special calibration for automatics over manuals, therefore KPro's RSX base manual setting is just as 'wrong' as you guys seem to think the stock TSX five speed auto ECU is. So thanks, but I'm looking for real information. I wish I was in a position to try this now rather than later, because Internet searching is proving worthless for info.

Looking for pinouts now. RSX was easy enough to find, still hunting for TSX's...

·
Fast and Furious
585 Posts
real info.

And yet Hondata insists that KPro isn't compatible with automatics. I know it can be done with an adapter, I've seen the examples on here, but that leads me to believe that there's no special calibration for automatics over manuals, therefore KPro's RSX base manual setting is just as 'wrong' as you guys seem to think the stock TSX five speed auto ECU is. So thanks, but I'm looking for real information. I wish I was in a position to try this now rather than later, because Internet searching is proving worthless for info.

Looking for pinouts now. RSX was easy enough to find, still hunting for TSX's...
Hondata doesn't kpro the automatic ecu.
the calibration is the same on a base manual and base auto. no special calibration
The stock tsx ecu motor calibration would not need changed, tsx motor will run(as long as your key matched to the ecu).
the stock tsx ecu motor would not know the gear ratios of the rsx (if you don't care then I sure don't).

if your looking for pinouts?? Your going to make a custom harness so your tsx ecu talks to the rsx wiring??

It might work with tiptronic shifting but maybe speedo will need correcting. I just say throw in a tsx transmission with motor and ecu and work through the rest or kpro.

there is a guy with an awd rsx:chuck: so what your saying isn't crazy:run:.

I assume you read through the stickied thread in the base forums on kpro d base auto..:coffee:

someone get him some pinouts for tsx. I would love to run a beefier transmission.

821 - 840 of 866 Posts