Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are better HID bulbs on a stock RSX Housing? D2Rs or D2Ss?? I know the main difference is the U-shaped masking on the D2R that blocks out unpredictable light in certain directions.I've also heard that using
a D2R in anything else than a OEM HID headlight designed for the D2R bulb makes no sense. It will only reduce output.

So what bulb is best for the stock housing?? And are these interchangeable, like if I bought a kit with that used a D2R, can i buy replacement D2S bulbs??

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
neither. they won't fit. stock RSX housings are made for H1 bulbs. won't fit D2R nor D2S bulbs.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh hey bro, i'm sorry. let me clarify. i know the stock housing are for H1 bulbs. i was referring to the 2 types of HID bulbs themselves. Last night we took out my brothers HIDs in his RSX because they are in an aftermarket housing that is not meant for HIDs. He bought the car with the HIDs already in and they are D2R HID bulbs with the reflector on it and the aftermarket housing also. He is going to get stock housing and then wants to put the HIDs back into them. So i know they are H1, I just dont know which replacement bulbs would be best, D2R or D2S? Does that make sence? Anyone know what i'm talking about?

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
are you sure he's using a D2R bulb ? cause the only housings that fit a D2R bulb is the JDM HID housing. no aftermarket housing fits the D2R bulb.

cause the situation does not make sense.

if he's going to be using stock housing, then he needs to get a H1 HID bulb if he wants to run that. it won't look great and it'll put out glare.

H1 is H1. H1 is not D2R. H1 is not D2S.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the post I made on hidplanet.com
LINKED: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14219

Hey guys, heres my situation. Last night we took out my brothers HIDs in his RSX because they are in an aftermarket housing that is not meant for HIDs. He bought the car with the HIDs already in and the aftermarket housing also. So the light was horrible for HIDs, I have fairly good experience with HIDs so I knew something was wrong. He is going to get stock housing and then wants to put the HIDs back into them. What I do know about the actualy HID kit is it is a Matsushita part # HLB351D12-8. I do NOT know what temperature they are, though I believe they are in the 4000k range. Heres's my questions. When we were taking out the driver side HID, the ballasts and box were not installed propering and were literally hanging inside the body, not attached to anything like they should have been. A Very bad instal!!!! So there was no possible way to get one of the boxes out in 1 piece, we had to cut it from the bulbs. I didn't want to do this but we had no other choice that night. So we ended up clipping the 3 wires as you'll see in the pictures.

QUESTION 1: My dad and bro want to soder or connect them back in some way, will this work??

Question 2: As you'll see in one of the pics, the tip of one of the bubs itself is broken, so I need to buy a replacement Phillips Bulb, where can I buy one?

Question 3: How can I find out what temperature bulbs they are? I didn't see see anything on the bulb itself to say what K they were.

Thanks guys I know its a lot of stuff but anything will help me out!

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
ok umm...can u take a pic of the headlight housing? cause i have a sneaking suspicion that someone literally used a holesaw or a dremel to cut a hole in the housing and basicaly just STICK that bulb in there.

as i said, there is no aftermarket housing that can fit a D2R bulb. that is most definitely a D2R bulb.

but your original question. you can't use that bulb nor a replacement D2R bulb. if you want to use HID on a stock headlight, you must buy H1 HID bulbs from xenondepot or some other source. xenon depot has done the work in cutting the bulb apart and putting it back together so that it fits a H1 socket.

·
997 C4S
11,065 Posts
The D2 bulbs will BARELY fit that opening in the stock housings. I've test fitted it with the set I have for sale and the bulb itself (not the base) will slide in. If you want to mount the bulbs, make your own "x clips" and glue the bulb's base onto the clip and mount it. The metal clip that holds down the bulb will need to be bent to accomodate the thicker base of the bulb...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ahh man, thanks so much seriously. this was so confusing lol. i will definitly take a pic of the housing as soon as my bro gets home in a few hours. they are the exact headlights as on rsxmotorsports.com, the JDM Replica housings. SO i do think your probably right about someone cutting them and sticking them in there! The previous owner did a lot of shady stuff and crappy parts to the car IMO and almost everything has been changed since me and my bro got the car. The reason why we took the HIDs out from this "JDM" housing now is because it was horribly bad light output and it said not meant for HIDs lol. i'll take a pic tonight and hopefully we can figure this out bro. Thanks so much, seriously i really appreciate all the info.

pics coming tonight of the [email protected]

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
keith....ORLY? then i modify my original statement

no aftermarket housings were MEANT to fit the D2R bulb :)

·
I mean, this guy...
7,034 Posts
Its wierd, when i had my Depo headlights, on one of the dips, it was marked D2R. So, i think D2R bulbs would work since we have halogen housings

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright guys, i attached some pics of the housing on it now and the last 2 are closeups (as best i could get) of looking right behind the low beam. there is a H1 bulb in there right now which you'll see which is for temporary untilw e fix this HID mystery. You should be able to see how it fits, what do you guys think??

·
Headlight Guy
8,513 Posts
BobaGT said:
Its wierd, when i had my Depo headlights, on one of the dips, it was marked D2R. So, i think D2R bulbs would work since we have halogen housings
that actually refers to just the lense (and maybe the back of the housing says it as well) as being okay for xenon. However, the reflectors inside are designed around the focal point of H1 bulbs so they are not meant for D2r or D2s. They basically compied Honda for that determination, all it really means is that the polycarb lense will not distort the beam if used in conjunction with a D2r reflector. Honda did that so they could use the same lenses and rear housings for the USDM (and other markets), JDM halogen, and JDM xenon headlights while only using different interior parts. It kept their cost to a minimum to reuse the same pieces for all the variations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts