Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive tried looking this up but I can't find anything in detail. I have an 02 type s and it has the bose amp under the seat, and I installed a touch screen radio and the sound works everything works fine and sounds fine, however I have a whine with the engine on, coming through the speakers. It gets louder when I turn my AC and/or headlights on and gets louder as I rev the accelerator.

I tried a ground loop isolator behind the radio, didn't help.
Tried a new ground, didn't help.

The only way the whine goes completely away is if I unplug the RCAs behind the touchscreen radio, which is the sound - obviously.

Any input? I would be okay with bypassing the amp but I'm not sure how to, can I just splice the wires going TO the amp and put RCA's on the ones that belong to the speakers, and connect them to the radio directly?

·
Registered
73 Posts
i would of thought it was your ground are you sure you have a good ground connected make sure its not on a painted surface if so sand it down but im pretty sure that only happens when you have a bad ground i could be wrong but im mostly sure it could be your ground

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Shielded RCA cables may help, and keep them separated from the power wire if possible.
An inline power line filter might be necessary to eliminate the whine, about $14 on fleeBay.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ground has behind the radio been moved and didn't change anything, I don't know what other ground to check. Ill try a different adaptor tomorrow as well as different RCA cables.

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
Post in the Radio/Electronics section.

To me... it sounds like the alternator whine is bleeding into your new head unit. Video screens can emit RF; but it's usually not dependent on engine RPM.

Does the whine go away with the engine off? And exactly what make/model unit did you install?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed the Dual XDvd1262 and the whine is only there with the engine on. I just installed a new wire harness and used good connectors and I think the whine is limited now to only when giving gas but I won't know for sure until later when I start it when its cold, thats when it mainly does it - or when I can hear it the most.

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,198 Posts
Shielded RCA cables may help, and keep them separated from the power wire if possible.
An inline power line filter might be necessary to eliminate the whine, about $14 on fleeBay.
^^ this. You have to route the audio cables separately from power cables or it will whine. Also beware of other oem power wires. There's a huge wad of them under the console that may or may not be speaker wires.

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
Also... try to avoid signal/speaker wires being parallel with a power wire. If you can keep the power wires perpendicular to the signal wires; there will be a null where very little interference (or bleed) takes place.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I fixed it.

I installed the new wire harness and used twist wire connectors for better shielding from other wires instead of just electrical tape. That with the ground loop isolator the only whine I hear is the veerrrry slight whine from I believe the alternator. Whatever it is, its almost unnoticeable - and bearable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts