Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Ok.
15,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a dumb post about it on fb just now, thought fake, then i saw like 5 mire as i scrolled. This really sucks. Suicide of depression...racing cars awesome and bmx. I just dont get it. Left 2 little girls behind to have to suffer and a wife.

·
Lick it or Flick it
5,263 Posts
Anyone want to buy my Dave mirra signature bike :shady:

·
3,310 Posts
Never was a huge fan simply because I didn't get into BMX all that much. But I knew who he was because he was at the top of his sport. Played his video games on ps1 and watched him at the X games as a kid. RIP man, its hard to comprehend what happened

·
Lick it or Flick it
5,263 Posts
His mental condition could have something to do with years and years of repeated blows to the head. It's been a big deal in football lately and those bmx helmets are nowhere close to the safety standards of an NFL football helmet... just a theory of mine.

·
Knight Armament SR-635
36,643 Posts
His mental condition could have something to do with years and years of repeated blows to the head. It's been a big deal in football lately and those bmx helmets are nowhere close to the safety standards of an NFL football helmet... just a theory of mine.
This is an extremely strong argument. Hopefully he didn't blow his brains so they can test it. Sad story....

·
1,559 Posts
I think the years of concussions and blows to the head took their toll on him. You're right, the BMX helmets most people wear today aren't nearly as good as an NFL helmet. Dave and many older vert riders wore full helmets similar to motorcycle helmets. They have more protection but your head can only handle so many knocks and concussions. In the end, it's sad to see someone like that take their life and leave behind a family.

·
3,310 Posts
I read a couple articles and they were talking about his accident history starting when he was 19 and got hit by a drunk driver causing blood clots in his brain. If he had been in organized sports (football etc) they would have told him he was done. And then he had a really bad fall that gave him a level 4 liver laceration years later. These of course in addition to the everyday falls he endured for decades.

·
Knight Armament SR-635
36,643 Posts
I read a couple articles and they were talking about his accident history starting when he was 19 and got hit by a drunk driver causing blood clots in his brain. If he had been in organized sports (football etc) they would have told him he was done. And then he had a really bad fall that gave him a level 4 liver laceration years later. These of course in addition to the everyday falls he endured for decades.
Geez man, that's some serious shit

·
Ok.
15,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im sure that is why he switched to racing rally cars. He definitely had a life we all dreamt for as far as career. Unfortunate for him it was a pretty heavy injure inducing one.

·
Swollen Member
1,890 Posts
IIRC Mirra usually wore full face mx helmets when riding, too. I really looked up to him when I was younger.. RIP

·
Swollen Member
1,890 Posts
If you take some of the blows to the head ive seen in my years of riding, no helmets going to be completely effective.
+1. I think there needs to be some serious improvements made to those thin bmx/skate helmets. Or at least make them required on all types of events, including street skate, and not just vert/big air.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
No helmet will keep the brain from sloshing around in the skull. Force-counterforce from head hits are what cause brain bruises and concussions, and ultimately CTE because the brain cannot heal that quickly and cannot sustain getting repeatedly hit. We are back in gladiator times with hockey, football, MMA, wrestling, etc. They don't fight until death immediately but they do in the long term.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts