Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what kind of motor oil a normal Acura dealership would put into our cars. I went in for a maintenance check today, and they said that I would need an oil change if I would like to keep the warranty :dontknow: . I was going to change it with RP or M1 later because I already had M1 in there from the last oil change. Also, it wouldn't hurt the engine if it went from synthetic to dino back to synthetic would it?

·
FDA Approved
668 Posts
they gave me mobil 1 when i asked for synthetic

·
Registered
804 Posts
mine uses honda oil (exxon mobil dino)

Ding. Honda oil is Exxon Superflo....w/ a buttload of moly. Great oil and not expensive.
Any given dealer can be using whatever for bulk oil. That could be not too great.
Base owners should definately try 5w-20 at least once, esp in cold conditions.
Synthetic oil is a pointless waste, so are short intervals. I never change before 5000-6000 miles. 8000 is very do-able. Short trip drivers (<10 mi/15 minutes typical trip) should stay in the 5000-6000 range.

imo, these are the most desirable (dino) oils:
Havoline/Chevron Supreme
Motorcraft/TropArtic/Kendall
Castrol GTX
Mobil Clean 5000

Blend oils are great for newer cars, Hi-Miles oils are great for older engines or consumption issues.

I'll throw out a few examples of both:
GTX HM
MaxLife
Clean 7500
Syntec Blend

Seriously modded cars or oil burners should go, not with synth, but with 10w-40 or even 15w-40 in extreme cases.

Mobil 1 is a total waste of money and it works poorly, RP is even worse.:thumbsdow

·
Da Vinci's Predecessor
56 Posts
Mobil 1 is what everyone should use

·
Da Vinci's Predecessor
56 Posts
I have a free oil change from the dealer and they won't take the mobil 1 i give them to do the change. why??

·
Retired OG
100,341 Posts
I have a free oil change from the dealer and they won't take the mobil 1 i give them to do the change. why??
They probably have a policy of only using oil from their shelves for liability reasons.

·
2,848 Posts
I bring my own oil to the dealership (Superior Acura) when I get an oil service done...Mobil 1 synthetic...you save money by providing your own oil...next time I am going to change my own oil/filter...now that I have the Helms, I am confident I can do any service to my car :)

·
Skeet Skeet...
2,394 Posts
I bring my own oil to the dealership (Superior Acura) when I get an oil service done...Mobil 1 synthetic...you save money by providing your own oil...next time I am going to change my own oil/filter...now that I have the Helms, I am confident I can do any service to my car :)
lol, do you seriously need a HALMs manual to change the oil?
:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: ....because??? :rotfl: :stfu:
Because the guy that was changing my oil said it was better for my car, else I could put the crap everyone else puts in thier car.

·
Registered
804 Posts
So, you're relying on some grease monkey who offers nothing more than the same sales pitch that comes from a glossy brochure? If you had tried a dozen different oils and ran a Used Oil lab Analysis on the it after it was finished, ok....that's ~something~. If you decoded portions of the Material Data Safety Sheet CAS catalogue # and determined a fixed percentage of Polyalphaolefins or Aphaic Esters as base oil or saw the latest generation of Boron/Antimony additive packages in a Nuclear Magnetic Resonance or Gas Chromatograph runs...fine. Just accepting some bone-head from-a-Quickie-Lube's grunt of affirmation "duh...Mobil 1", is hardly worthy or repeating as de facto.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts