Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is a decent shorty header for the base. is the HP one any good or just go with a DC or comptech one ?

·
Registered
8,724 Posts
i don't think there really is a decent shorty header that's worth it for the base. the base gains very little with n/a mods as it is, might as well get a race header

·
Representin' DC5AB.COM
433 Posts
Pretty much all shorty headers are the same....It comes down to how much you want to spend. I have the HP header on my car.

·
RSX fanboy supreme
2,606 Posts
SilverRSXJezus said:
i don't think there really is a decent shorty header that's worth it for the base. the base gains very little with n/a mods as it is, might as well get a race header
This is a myth. In our club, we have had 2 dyno days on same dyno. We have quite the database for mods/power now on both type-s' and bases.
We have not gotten a stock type-s on there yet, but have a stock base.
The stock base pulled 115 whp, and we have 2 well modded bases, one running 130.5 whp, the other 134 whp. If you calculate this as a percentage,
the lower one manages 13.5% gain, and the higher is 16.5%.
We had a type-s on dyno with just ice box/comptech exhaust that pulled 149.5 whp. Making a good guess that the mods were worth 5 whp, that would put it at 145 whp for stock s. A type-s with same mods as base ran
161 whp, yielding only 11% gains, while myself at the very top of the scale, with similar mods, at 170whp,managed 17.2%.

·
Representin' DC5AB.COM
433 Posts
Hey Chris...interesting comparison of the cars and mods. I never thought about the percentage like that before.

·
RSX fanboy supreme
2,606 Posts
I'm not just handsome! :D
Yeah, just thought it would be interesting to do the math to compare. As it turns out, they are very close. This should help all of the base guys from getting discouraged. Mods work folks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
theres a dc shorty for sale in the buy sell section for a type s, it will bolt up fine for the base right? They are selling it with a test pipe, but that test pipe wont fit right with my extended apexi ws ehaust or will it ?

·
Representin' DC5AB.COM
433 Posts
The header will bolt up but the test pipe won't bolt to your extended exhaust...you'll have to cut the extension out so that it is the length of a type s exhaust again.

·
Registered
170 Posts
9bells said:
This is a myth. In our club, we have had 2 dyno days on same dyno. We have quite the database for mods/power now on both type-s' and bases.
We have not gotten a stock type-s on there yet, but have a stock base.
The stock base pulled 115 whp, and we have 2 well modded bases, one running 130.5 whp, the other 134 whp. If you calculate this as a percentage,
the lower one manages 13.5% gain, and the higher is 16.5%.
We had a type-s on dyno with just ice box/comptech exhaust that pulled 149.5 whp. Making a good guess that the mods were worth 5 whp, that would put it at 145 whp for stock s. A type-s with same mods as base ran
161 whp, yielding only 11% gains, while myself at the very top of the scale, with similar mods, at 170whp,managed 17.2%.
what kind of dyno were you guys on, i've seen stock S's get a lot more than a 145 whp rating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts