Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

dents from opening doors

4K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  RSXBaltimore 
#1 ·
im so pissed. i washed my car and noticed i had a dent from people oopening their doors and hitting mine. the dents are small but i still dont want them there. is there anyway i can get them out without going to a body shop. i think they are to small to use that pops a dent thing. any suggestions. :firemad:

#2 ·
I go to honda and a dent guy comes and takes mine out. He uses small rods and puts it behind the door skin and pops the dents out. It works REALLY well but it costs $60 for the first dent and $10 for every other one not sure if prices change all over but this is the best way to get rid of dents with out wrecking your paint job i find.

#4 ·
i didnt have so much luck with trying to get some paintless dent repair on my old Civic LX. first off, i called the place, they wanted to see it, so i took it in. once he looked at it, he wanted to go ahead and take it back to try to fix it. first off they stuck this magnet thing on my paint so it reflected orange off the place where the dent was, then stuck this crowbar thing down my window to push it back out. they were unsuccessful in getting the dent out, but on TOP of that, the magnet that they put on my car, they slid it around on my paint in like a 12in diameter area, which they tried to rebuff, but also took the clearcoat off. so i had a big ass dull spot on my back door, along with a big "ass" dent(literally, my ass made the dent ;) ). they did not charge me, probably because they knew they fuked up.

#5 ·
Yeah, sometimes you can't avoid parking next other cars. In those cases, here's what I try to do. Anybody want to add/modify the list?

1. Try to park on an end spot that only abuts 1 other parking space.
2. Try to park so that your car abuts the Passenger side door of adjacent cars (this is especially true if you are parking in a commuter lot, where there are very few passengers).
3. If the spot is next to a Driver side door as well as a Passenger side door of other cars, give more room to the Driver side door (like #2, there may not be a passenger).
4. Try to park next to a 4 door car instead of a 2 door car (which have longer doors).
5. Try to park next to a well-maintained car rather than a beater.

#7 ·
I usually park away, but at the malls I try and park real close to the curb. So far no one has hit my car with their door.

#8 ·
All good points but there is always someone out there that parks next to nice cars on purpose. Even though you park away from civilization they still go after you to piss you off.

#9 ·
MichiganMan said:
Yeah, sometimes you can't avoid parking next other cars. In those cases, here's what I try to do. Anybody want to add/modify the list?

2. Try to park so that your car abuts the Passenger side door of adjacent cars (this is especially true if you are parking in a commuter lot, where there are very few passengers).
3. If the spot is next to a Driver side door as well as a Passenger side door of other cars, give more room to the Driver side door (like #2, there may not be a passenger).
4. Try to park next to a 4 door car instead of a 2 door car (which have longer doors).
excellent tips :thumbsup:

#10 ·
people call me fucken crazy for the ways i park...

but in the end .. i have no dents... lol

hey.. u got to wal mart... PARK FAR AWAY... u come out with the groceries you need PLUS U GET EXERCISE...

damn u cant beat that!

#13 ·
I find it so disrespectful for others to bang their door into another person's car. I have two major door dings on my driver's side. I try to avoid a door ding as much as possible. In some cases, its just hard to avoid them even if you are cautious in the way you park. In other threads about door dings, I remember reading some guy parking far away in a parking lot and when he came back to his car somebody parked right next to him out of all the spots in the lot.

#14 ·
Guys guys guys... you park far away and your car is more likely to be broken into so they can steal your stuff.

Dings are a fact of life with a car. You can't avoid them.

The solution for these small ones is usually PDR (paintless dent removal)... with the exception of DarkSoldier555 who sounds like he want to a fly-by-night operation.
www.dentwizard.com has a list of PDR bodyshops.

In the US, this works out to something like $70 per ding, often with a deal like 1st one for $70, all others $30. They don't need to repaint and the process usually takes less than an hour. Sometimes there will be some paint damage where the door of the other car hit yours, but usually a lil buffing takes it out.

The tools that the PDR shops use are a lot more advanced than those DingKing kits you see in store, so don't expect to get the same results with a $50 as-seen-on-tv product.

#15 ·
MichiganMan said:

*6. Don't be the fool that takes up 2 spots so that no can park next to you. You might be safe from door dings, but someone might be tempted to key your ride

#16 ·
Truckondo said:
*6. Don't be the fool that takes up 2 spots so that no can park next to you. You might be safe from door dings, but someone might be tempted to key your ride
ya....never thought of it that way..

shit...no more double parking. :smilemad:

#17 ·
usually i hire my best friend boe to stay in my car whever i go anywhere...

BTW boe is 6'6" 350 pounds.. kinda hard for him to fit in my car..... but it does seem to work... NO ONE parks anywhere near my ride/HIM!

#18 ·
pinoyboydrew said:
I find it so disrespectful for others to bang their door into another person's car. I have two major door dings on my driver's side. I try to avoid a door ding as much as possible. In some cases, its just hard to avoid them even if you are cautious in the way you park. In other threads about door dings, I remember reading some guy parking far away in a parking lot and when he came back to his car somebody parked right next to him out of all the spots in the lot.
Yeah, this happened to me at a Cracker Barrel restaurant in Virginia a few months ago...I was all the way at the end of an empty parking lot and when I came out there was this totally junkyard-looking pickup truck parked, literally, inches from my passenger-side door, and there's a small spot where his door touched, but fortunately didn't dent it. Some asshole losers out there do this intentionally, just because they can't stand seeing anyone else with a nice car.

And yeah, it is disrespectful to bang your door into someone else's car...sometimes people do it accidentally (particularly on a windy day) but they should at least have enough class to leave a note or something. Generally speaking, the perps don't have much respect for themselves or their own vehicle, so it stands to reason they won't have much for you or yours. :shakehead

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.