Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 04 RSX 5 speed I bought in high school about 7 years ago, with 57,000 miles. I've put close to 180,000 miles on it so far. I've been driving this car daily since then, and have primarily built race motorcycles in this time. Recently, I got the "let's mod the daily" bug, as I have a 14 Silverado Z71, and another daily car, so why not.

Anyways, I debated about buying an A2 for obvious reasons as an A3 build isn't efficient cost/power wise. Money/time is not really a huge issue right now, so I decided to go the A3 to A2 route because, well, it's different. I could buy an A2 and do a build but where's the fun in that. Will just be another A2 build. But an A3 block making good gains is more satisfying to me.

Here's my build plan:
Swap A2 head/components over to A3
Upgrade to high compression pistons & rods
Upgrade to A2 I.M & Port match to upgraded T.B w/ Intake
Upgrade to A2 exhaust system/aftermarket
Better cooling
KPro with custom tune
Bigger injectors & upgraded fuel rail
Upgraded fuel pump
Could be missing more, will update later.

Not 100% focused on exterior mods. It is lowered on K Tuned K1 coilovers, stock 16's 205/50-16 Michelin A/S3. Stoptech drilled/slotted rotors with Duralast GT brakes (pretty good brakes with lifetime warranty). Obviously will upgrade brake system and wheels/tires at a later time, but this build is mainly in the engine compartment.

Feel free to add suggestions/ let me know your opinions and let's talk about it

Will update with pics

·
Registered
826 Posts
Don't bother with the following:
Better cooling - the stock radiator is more than efficient.
Bigger injectors & upgraded fuel rail - injectors don't need to be too large, factory A2 will work just fine with bolt ons. Fuel rails are only good for engine bay bling.
Upgraded fuel pump - the stock fuel pump is more than efficient, and is the same between the Base and Type S (based on part sites matching part numbers).

I know that you said money isn't a huge issue, but you're really wasting it by doing this. You'll be missing out on the piston oil squirters and oil cooler that the A2 has. I like projects myself, but this doesn't seem like it's worth the time or hassle.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
might as well put an a2 crank in there and then the only difference is the oil squirters. You'll have more options for rods and get a larger journal to hold more power down the road.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't bother with the following:
Better cooling - the stock radiator is more than efficient.
Bigger injectors & upgraded fuel rail - injectors don't need to be too large, factory A2 will work just fine with bolt ons. Fuel rails are only good for engine bay bling.
Upgraded fuel pump - the stock fuel pump is more than efficient, and is the same between the Base and Type S (based on part sites matching part numbers).

I know that you said money isn't a huge issue, but you're really wasting it by doing this. You'll be missing out on the piston oil squirters and oil cooler that the A2 has. I like projects myself, but this doesn't seem like it's worth the time or hassle.
Hey thanks for your input, I really appreciate it! I'll be upgrading to a Mishimoto radiator simple due to the fact of upgrading old parts to new. Also, may just upgrade to RDX injectors, and new fuel pump due to old age. I've seen the oil squirter swapover mod, and may consider it at a later time.

Purpose of this build is to build a fun, reliable car that I can enjoy on the daily as well at AutoX events

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
might as well put an a2 crank in there and then the only difference is the oil squirters. You'll have more options for rods and get a larger journal to hold more power down the road.
That's also the plan as well. Swapping over all A2 parts, and as pointed out above, may do the oil squirters at a later time. Max power looking to get out of this build is 250 wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts