Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started my car and I heard a noise that was not there before. After lots of research on this site I figured I needed to do a valve adjustment. So while doing the valve adjustment I also discovered my spark plugs needed to be replaced as well so I did that also. I did the valve adjustment and the noise is gone. However, my A/F ratio is all over the place. It always used to be pretty steady but now while driving down the road at a constant speed it would bounce from 9:1 all the way up to 19:1. The whole time I was doing the exact same speed and it was moving erratically like that. So my question is this: If I messed up my valve adjustment and some were significantly looser than other ones could that be the cause of the A/F ratio being all over the place? For example say the valves on 3 are way tighter than the valves on 1, so when it does the firing order of 1,3,4,2 3 gets a wildly different amount compared to 1 and the A/F skyrockets or plummets trying to adjust to the different amount, is that possible? I am a bit of a noob so I apologize if this is a stupid question but any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes it was. It had been sitting for 2 days ran for around 2 minutes to test something out and then sat for another day before I even touched the valves
Oh ok. Did you use angled feeler gauges? Those can be more accurate than straight ones, especially with limited space.

When I did mine at 200k for the first time, intake side were all within spec and only a couple on exhaust side were tight.

Might want to double check everything hoses, spark plugs, ignition coils, maybe another valve adjustment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh ok. Did you use angled feeler gauges? Those can be more accurate than straight ones, especially with limited space.

When I did mine at 200k for the first time, intake side were all within spec and only a couple on exhaust side were tight.

Might want to double check everything hoses, spark plugs, ignition coils, maybe another valve adjustment.
I did not use bent feeler gauges. And thank you for the info. Time to start again I guess.

·
Super Moderator
2,038 Posts
You'll see some change in the a/f ratio, but what you're seeing is not normal. Definitely take another look at the valves. If you can't find a set of bent feeler gauges, you can just bend the straight ones you already have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts