Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I see that the Jackson Racing Super Charger is an MP62 Eaton-type supercharger. What's stopping me from picking up a junkyard MP62 from a GM vehicle, and using it on my K20A2 in my RSX Type S? I see there's an intake manifold that looks like it's built into it somehow. Seems like it could fit and work if I swapped to electric power steering from an EP3 Civic. I'm sure someone has thought this before but I can't find anything on the forum. I haven't seen one of these superchargers in person so this may be a dumb question. Any thoughts?

EDIT:
I looked further into it, and it appears that you might have to cast a manifold to get it to fit, since it's pretty cramped in the front of the RSX engine bay. The supercharger units, like from a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP V6 3.8l for example, have a collector that you have to fabricate an intake manifold to connect. Unless maybe there's a design that already exists to adapt this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I went to the junkyard today and picked up an MP62 supercharger off a 1998 Buick Regal. Took about 30 minutes to remove it with my dad's help removing the hood.
(1997–2004 3.8 L L67 Series II supercharged V6)

Should be possible if I switch to EP3 EPS. I need to find an intake plenum that fits it though. I think Merc Racing sells parts that'll allow me to get the pulley situation right, refurbish the supercharger, and an intake plenum that'll seat it right in the engine bay with a small modification to the radiator brace.

I'd really like to find another supplier, or maybe a way to cast my own manifold because $895 is way too expensive for an intake for a junkyard sc. Also the Merc Racing one is available on backorder, so I'd have to wait and pay that much which just doesn't make sense to me yet. The adventure continues... I'd love to find someone who's done this before though.

·
Always on TDY...
2,204 Posts
It may require customization to get it to work. Snout could be too long/too short outside of needing a custom intake manifold to mount it.

This may be more work than you planned... I know the CTSC and JRSC which were specific to the RSX are ultra rare. Mercracing will be the point of contact.

If I had do it today, I'd go twinscrew setup. Much more efficient.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It may require customization to get it to work. Snout could be too long/too short outside of needing a custom intake manifold to mount it.

This may be more work than you planned... I know the CTSC and JRSC which were specific to the RSX are ultra rare. Mercracing will be the point of contact.

If I had do it today, I'd go twinscrew setup. Much more efficient.
I dont mind figuring out a custom solution. i would go turbo or twinscrew but this is a learning project and the supercharger was $100. sells on ebay for $350 so i cant really lose. when i get a chance ill hold up the supercharger to the engine and see how much room i have and how the snout length looks. i know some people put these on miatas too, and adapt them for Lemons racing so maybe i can find a friend to learn how to manufacture this stuff from. i just rebuilt my entire rsx and modt of the engine and rust repaired and repainted and restored everything so im not intimidated... yet 🤣 thanks for the reply, youre spot on.

·
Always on TDY...
2,204 Posts
I dont mind figuring out a custom solution. i would go turbo or twinscrew but this is a learning project and the supercharger was $100. sells on ebay for $350 so i cant really lose. when i get a chance ill hold up the supercharger to the engine and see how much room i have and how the snout length looks. i know some people put these on miatas too, and adapt them for Lemons racing so maybe i can find a friend to learn how to manufacture this stuff from. i just rebuilt my entire rsx and modt of the engine and rust repaired and repainted and restored everything so im not intimidated... yet 🤣 thanks for the reply, youre spot on.
Good Luck then! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
265 Posts
there may be other ways to find out the correct overall length, you could ask other JRSC owners if they could send you an overall measurement of theirs. there will be many challenges in this type of project because the overall length will be critical from the centerline of the pulley to the centerline of the head. That should give you a good starting point and give you an idea of how the P.I.M.P. intake manifold will need to sit to accept the blower assembly/housing. Since the overall measurement of the blower assembly is fixed, you cannot extend the snout, it will never be true if you try. The intake manifold will be what has to adjust, at the plenum, or make custom runners to make the plenum sit right under the blower assembly.

In for some pictures or drawings on how you plan to do this. These types of projects should be handled by professional welders and metal/alloy fabricators. Not saying you cannot do it, there are crucial parts that will have little to no room for breaking tolerances of measurements, weld shrinkage/warping/distortion, excessive weld penetration, and overall quality of craftsmanship. Aluminum pulls badly when welding and depending on if it cast, forged, or billet as to the consistency of the stock. A PNP RBC manifold I was building had excessive porous pockets and blew a big hole in it by welding, which was not preventable. Things just happen, and that is where experience kicks in and takes over to complete the project.

Best of luck to you, I have been in the welding and fabrication industry since 1998. I would not want to take on the project you are doing, so respect to you and I hope it works out well for you.

·
ECU Tuner
4,288 Posts
Here's what the (also MP62) Comptech blower on my 04 Type-S looks like.

Hi, I see that the Jackson Racing Super Charger is an MP62 Eaton-type supercharger. What's stopping me from picking up a junkyard MP62 from a GM vehicle, and using it on my K20A2 in my RSX Type S? I see there's an intake manifold that looks like it's built into it somehow. Seems like it could fit and work if I swapped to electric power steering from an EP3 Civic. I'm sure someone has thought this before but I can't find anything on the forum. I haven't seen one of these superchargers in person so this may be a dumb question. Any thoughts?

EDIT:
I looked further into it, and it appears that you might have to cast a manifold to get it to fit, since it's pretty cramped in the front of the RSX engine bay. The supercharger units, like from a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP V6 3.8l for example, have a collector that you have to fabricate an intake manifold to connect. Unless maybe there's a design that already exists to adapt this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts