Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did not find any info on this.

Q1- So what is the difference between a Short Shifter vs. Gear Shift Extender ?

Q2 - Don't they both make the throw shorter ?

NOTE : I already have the DE-tent and the Shifter springs in the transmission, and the cable bushings. So the shifts should already be crisp.

VERSUS . . .

Look forward to knowing the difference as far as functionality.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Bro, the difference is in the name lol. A short shift kit reduces the stroke by reducing the angle that the shifter travels at. A gear shift extender would do the exact opposite.

Is a Short Shifter Worth It? - YouTube

Thanks for the reply.

I checked all the YouTubes and basically every video showed how to install ( as if we need to know how ) .

No posts or videos stated a comparison.

===========

I already saw that same video at "Donut Media", the short shifter works by moving the fulcrum ( the gear ball higher ) so that less throw is needed.

===========

I was planning to just use the OEM gear box with the extender, but was not sure what that would do.

People said they " just liked " the extender and that was about it . Nothing specific about why.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Concerning the use for the Knob Extender . . .

It does have a longer throw, but during intense track and autox driving, maintaining consistent control of the steering wheel by having 2 hands on the wheel improves car control and reduces lap times. By decreasing the distance between the steering wheel and shift knob, you reduce your hands travel time between the steering wheel and shift knob keeping your hands on the wheel more. Some have said that you also gain more precise shifting ( less clunky ).

Also, for some folks, this is merely for comfort so that they can keep their arm on the armrest while shifting during casual driving.

5th gear might be a little further out than one likes, but it might not bother other folks.

__

A Short shifter has less throw, and is likely to feel more crisp / snappy.

__

Extended shifting vs short shifter appears to be a matter of flavor and/or application.

In any case, I'll post my own experience with just the knob extender, coupled with the DE-tent and shifter springs, and the cable bushings to see if I can get the best of both worlds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts