Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys,

I'm currently developing a "digital dash" for a startup company. I know many of you like your autometer and other analog gauges, but the benefit of digital is that you can program the dash to your liking. So instead of one gauge for each reading, you can have an LCD display 4 or 5 readings (e.g. RPM, ign timing, fuel trim, coolant temp, etc.)

What I'd like to know from you is what features you'd be interested in. Changing colors for the display? Shift light? Acceleration readouts? Wireless? Other features?

And what are the most important gauges for you? How big of a monitor/display? And most importantly, what type of money would spend on this?

By the way, no hardware has been actually developed yet, so no pictures.

Thanks!

·
Banned
120 Posts
I remember a year or so ago when Mugen was develpoing a simular package. I still havent seen a retail version of that product. If I was going to buy a product like this ( I just bought a stack yesterday, LOL!!) I would be looking for a unit that is upgradable. (i.e. say im running NA and then decide to go with some sort of forced induction I would be able to expand the system with the addition of software to now incorperate a boost guage, or a EGT sensor.) I would also be looking for a system that is visually appealing that could be customized to my liking such as color options. As far a freatures I think you should be able to have some sort of "plug n play" feature. All I would have to do is fit my car with a new sensor and run the wires to the brain and off I go. Probaby the last thing I would have to say without going too long with this is that it would have to be street usable and leagal. (i.e. fuel level, speedometer, e brake light, odometer.....ect). Hope this helps a little, and I just serously bought a stack unit!

·
*pip pip pip
2,399 Posts
BattleGroup said:
I remember a year or so ago when Mugen was develpoing a simular package. I still havent seen a retail version of that product. If I was going to buy a product like this ( I just bought a stack yesterday, LOL!!) I would be looking for a unit that is upgradable. (i.e. say im running NA and then decide to go with some sort of forced induction I would be able to expand the system with the addition of software to now incorperate a boost guage, or a EGT sensor.) I would also be looking for a system that is visually appealing that could be customized to my liking such as color options. As far a freatures I think you should be able to have some sort of "plug n play" feature. All I would have to do is fit my car with a new sensor and run the wires to the brain and off I go. Probaby the last thing I would have to say without going too long with this is that it would have to be street usable and leagal. (i.e. fuel level, speedometer, e brake light, odometer.....ect). Hope this helps a little, and I just serously bought a stack unit!

Perfect, couldnt have said it better myself. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
The problem with replacing the original odometer is that you either have to have the mileage certified as accurate, or have a certificate of mileage that shows when the odometer was replaced, or you will have trouble selling the car.

·
yawn..
22,903 Posts
I love my guages, but digital sounds cool too.. IF they are in red =/

·
*pip pip pip
2,399 Posts
clarkjd said:
The problem with replacing the original odometer is that you either have to have the mileage certified as accurate, or have a certificate of mileage that shows when the odometer was replaced, or you will have trouble selling the car.
If they really wanted know the mileage, they can take it to the dealership and read of theof the mileage recorded from the transmission, that at least GM has it that way, I dont know if all car companies do that.

·
I LOVE HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS!
20,223 Posts
IVTEC03 said:
If they really wanted know the mileage, they can take it to the dealership and read of theof the mileage recorded from the transmission, that at least GM has it that way, I dont know if all car companies do that.
dosnt that only work with auto trannies?

·
*pip pip pip
2,399 Posts
Havana Joe said:
dosnt that only work with auto trannies?
I dont know, you maybe right, cause I dont know how many miles the car has gone under nuetral. Since so many slow the car down under nuetral vs downshifting.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't know, I definitely like to see rpm and mph as needles (even the lcd needle-imitators don't come close to the real thing for me). This setup might sell better as an addition to the factory dash instead of a replacement; that way you have the ability to see much more precise readings for information you might need while tuning and monitoring the car, but still get the needle-jumping you're used to for regular driving. Maybe I'm just not cut out for this digital dash thing... :dontknow:

Eric

·
I Don't Even
9,180 Posts
oOoo DIGITAL!!! nice..yeah that would be nice to have all those features as u lsited above...and the things that the other guy said about it being programable so you can change it from a NA setup to an FI setup

How much would that kit or however you want to call it cost?

·
E46 M3
614 Posts
*cough* metric

·
Registered
613 Posts
YEah the mugen digital gauge wow! HEheheheeh! Sorry Im a Mugen whore! LOL! But yeah! We would love something like that. I wish I can find that pic of it. Wait they have it on King's Mugen EP3. May be you would want to check that site up. Also I guess everything that's needed for NA's and boosted cars. Like an all in one thing. Question to. Do you guys have a test car already. If not I'd volunteer no questions asked, LOL! By the way the full Mugen Kit is already on people, heheeheheh FINALLY! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
266 Posts
It would be nice to have built in warning features like if water temp goes to high the gauge starts to flash or change colors. Being able to adjust the layout of the gauges, switchable one for daily driving one for track days.

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
just be sure it's stable. we don't need to see the dash go BSOD. heh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts