Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, im too lazy to go drive 25 mins to get car wash soap... will dishwash soap have any affect on my car or the paint if I wash with it???

·
Premium Member
44,375 Posts
keepin_it_base said:
Hey, im too lazy to go drive 25 mins to get car wash soap... will dishwash soap have any affect on my car or the paint if I wash with it???
yes, do not use that shit.

moving to car care.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It is a good degreaser and will remove any wax..., not good unless you are "wanting" to strip everything off the cars finish to use a pure sealant that needsa clean surface to cross-link and bond to..., otherwise, IMO- take a "Roadtrip" :)

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
story time crsx members...
make a little circle, today, we'll read a section in the honda/acura manual.
well i got honda one here so that's what ill go with.

cough cough

k

Exterior Care: Washing

NOTICe...

chemical solvents and strong cleaners can damage the pain, metal and plastic on your car

- rinse the car thoroughly with cool water to remove loose dirt
- fill a bucket with cool water. mix in a mild detergent, such as dishwashing liquid or a product made especially for car washing.

that's it.. im tired.
anyway, to get to the point, yes you can use it, it aint a BAD BAD idea, but it'll strip the wax like people have posted here. i recently waxed my car and it's already dirty as hell. i've been using very little detergent not too much but after waxing, i decided to get me a washing liquid product that won't strip away the wax.

·
Friend of Slipknot
4,132 Posts
dish soap is bad, say it with me...BAD...my wife's father was using that on his 03 Taurus and wanted to know why my 02 was shinier than his 03.

·
Friend of Slipknot
4,132 Posts
I did, he was even using crappy wax too, so I educated him on the fundamentals of waxing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
EvaUnit01 said:
I did, he was even using crappy wax too, so I educated him on the fundamentals of waxing.

Good guy!!
:thumbsup:

·
Friend of Slipknot
4,132 Posts
I try...I bought him some NXT wax, NXT wash...good stuff there!

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
The RSX manual car care section is crap. They fail to tell you that if you are to use a "mild detergent" you MUST wax afterwards. Mild detergents are ridiculous for the everyday wash.

·
I get bored.
6,486 Posts
washing your car with Dish Soap????

this guy is telling me that I can save a lot of money by washing my car with dish soap(i.e. Dawn, Joy,...etc.) instead of using Meguiars or Simoniz Soap/Wax...

then I was thinking, wouldn't dish soap EAT the car wax???

because that soap is supposed to "cut grease and hard food stains"

I would think so???

·
LBJ goat
84,342 Posts
dont do it. tell that guy hes a jackass. the ONLY time to wash your car with dawn is when you are about to wax it. i have never used a dish wash on my car.

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
dish soaps EATS car wax.

don't do it. and tell "this guy" that his car is crap

·
///elitist prick
48,951 Posts
birdman said:
dont do it. tell that guy hes a jackass. the ONLY time to wash your car with dawn is when you are about to wax it. i have never used a dish wash on my car.
omfg, i think this might be your first post with real information in it...

yeah, you only use dish soap to strip the old wax off. wash with dawn, rinse, claybar, rinse, wash with regular carwash soap, rinse, dry, wax, wax, wax.

the dish soap removes ALL protectants from the paint and clear coat... your paint will be exposed to the elements and go to shit if you don't re-wax.

·
Registered
20,976 Posts
It drives me nuts about how ignorant some people can be about protecting their cars finish. Wouldn't you think that if the dish detergent people thought using their products on your car is better and cheaper than soap made for cars, they would advertise it? just another argument...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts