Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Dissapointed with my brakes.

2K views 47 replies 18 participants last post by  KazeSpec 
#1 ·
Car has 25,000 miles on it (rsx-s). Installed powerslot rotors + hawk pads (hps), goodridge ss lines, and new fluid a few weeks ago. Yes I bled the lines. 4 times. No air, no mushy pedal. Here's what I get. No initial bite on the new brakes. Soft pedal feel, (not spongy) but it is consistent (not air in the lines, different feeling) The car stops fine. Just not very impressed for the money spent. I was expecting the brakes to have more initial bite when I tap the pedal, feels slightly better than stock! I have Kumho ecsta mx 225-45-17 tires, and I really have to push the pedal very hard to get the brakes into ABS. I know the tires are pretty grippy, but still I'd expect to get into ABS quite a bit easier! I currently have to try and push the pedal through the floor to get abs on. I had done the bedding process listed on the hawk pad box EXACTLY. So they are broken in/bedded properly. Here's my question. What do I have to do to get MORE initial bite, and stiffen up the pedal?!? I want a firmer pedal feel, and I want to get into ABS with a little less effort. Thanks!

#10 ·
Hawk HPS on the SUV, and EBC reds on my RSX.
Very linear brake feel,
but yes, low initial bite,
Seems to improve once they are warmed up though.

You can get better initial bite with Hawk race pads, but with tons of rotor wear

#13 ·
u drive a honda not a sports car so pedal wont be what you are looking for. u stiffen the pedal any more it will actually cause brake fade (the kind of pedal u are reffereing to) so i wouldnt bleed/gravity bleed it anymore. if u want more grab then get Akebono pads. they are THE best pads IMO and little brake dust on the rims.

#15 ·
I was very happy with the initial bite of my axxis ultimates, but yes very dirty. Who cares, performance>some dust. I'm running terrible wagner pads right now until my cyro powerslots and gt-sports come in, now that'll bite nice.

#16 ·
Oh please.. how good your brakes are is not determined by brake pedal feel or initial bite..

Just like friend he likes cars with MAD amounts of understeer. No joke. He thinks the car feels faster that way when its actually complete opposite.

My point is if you bought your setup excepting to have strong initial bite but didn't get the results its your own fault.

You can't be disappointed with a product if you haven't done your research into it first especially if you KNOW what you want which is strong initial bite, then go look for a pad with strong initial bite.

Personally I don't like brakes with strong initial bite but thats just me.

#20 ·
Oh please.. how good your brakes are is not determined by brake pedal feel or initial bite..
My point is if you bought your setup excepting to have strong initial bite but didn't get the results its your own fault.
You can't be disappointed with a product if you haven't done your research into it first especially if you KNOW what you want which is strong initial bite, then go look for a pad with strong initial bite.
Personally I don't like brakes with strong initial bite but thats just me.

I'm not judging my brakes by pedal feel, BUT I am saying that in my opinion I shouldn't have to try to push my pedal through the floor board to get into ABS. It's really hard to get into ABS.
I didn't expect "strong initial bite" for say, just an improvement over stock (more initial bite), and I didn't get that. I'd like that extra pedal feel, and didn't get it. But I guess I just expected too much outta my brake upgrade!

#19 ·
x2

after installing new pads i do ten 60mph to 5mph right in a row making sure not to completely stop. the brakes should begin to fade (depending on pad compound). one you're done with the stops, drive around for about 15 minutes to cool them down, once again, making sure not to stop. it makes a huge difference.

#31 ·
STi in front of me was entering the bowl, but let off the gas for who knows what reason. and if you guys know AWD + letting off gas in a turn = disaster. his car darted to the right into the dirt. mind you i was on his as and as soon as that happened i had to slam on the brakes pretty hard to not get killed by this rolling STi. his car was half the size it normally was when the accident was over. driver ended up having to be taken to the hospital.

#37 ·
you will have to warm them up before use. it takes like 3-4 stops for them to get up to normal operating temps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.