Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Michael Brown wannabe
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i didn't see a diy for this bracket so i made this, and as always do it at your own risk :)

here's what you'll need

1. an adjustable wrench

2. sockets 10, 12, 17, extensions and a ratchet

3. jack and jack stands

4. pitman puller for the tie rods or a hammer and a piece of wood will do

5. needle nose pliers

6. measuring tape

7. multi purpose grease

8. torque wrench

this bracket raises the point where the tie rods meet by 1 inch decreasing the angle of the tie rods helping bump steer

ok so i have a megan race header so if you have the oem header or another header you might have clearance issues and will have to remove it :dontknow:

first raise the front on to jack stands and remove the front wheels, then undo 4 12mm bolts (2 on each side) that hold the mid chassis bar

then from under the car remove 2 10mm bolts that attach heat shields to that bar, then slide the bar out of the car and set it aside.

then take your adjustable wrench and loosen the counter nuts that hold the tie rod ends in place.

then use your adjustable wrench and undo the tie rods at the point where they meet the bracket (don't fight with it too much or put too much pressure on it)

remove the pin from the tie rod end with the needle nose pliers, and undo the nut with the 17mm socket but leave the nut at the end, and place a plank of wood against the nut and hit it with the hammer till it pops

then remove the tie rods from the car (careful not to lose the washers that sit between the tie rod and the bracket)

now for the bracket, first slide off a lock washer from one of the bolts on the bracket, then undo the 2 12mm bolts that hold the bracket in place, grease the o rings on the bolts a little and reinstall with the 0857 bracket and torque them to 54 lbs ft

pic of the lock washer

at this time i took off my old tie rod ends and replaced them with fresh ones, also set them in 1/16th to compensate for the bracket but it'll still need to be aligned professionally torque the tie rod ends to 33 lbs ft.

then take the tie rods and put them back in the car, put the washer on and screw them on to the 0857 bracket ( again try not to put too much pressure on it) a the helms says to torque them to 40lbs ft

then insert the tie rod ends in to the strut arm and torque the nuts to 40 lbs ft, and re insert the pin

get the chassis bar back in the car, screw the 4 12mm bolts and set them to 22 lbs ft and re install the 2 10mm bolts that hold the heat shields to the bar, put wheels back on, lower car and have it aligned :thumbsup:

·
Doesn't Give A F*ck
20,301 Posts
thank you

·
Michael Brown wannabe
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Call me Lt. Shineyside
485 Posts
Roughly what was the install time on this? On a scale 1-10 how would you rate it?

·
Call me Lt. Shineyside
485 Posts
Thats about what I figured. I guess I should just wait until I get the bushings installed before I put this on and ride around on a jacked up alignment.

·
Michael Brown wannabe
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats about what I figured. I guess I should just wait until I get the bushings installed before I put this on and ride around on a jacked up alignment.
Yea do it then, a little tip so you don't loose time if I was you id make sure my adjustable wrench/ or wrench is the right size to fit the tie rod arms, 2 out or my 3 adjustable wrenches didn't fit :mad:

·
Registered
87 Posts
can someone post a before and after pic of the steering arm angle. mine is terrible and im considering buying this but it doesn't seem like it would make a huge difference

·
The CRSX Philosopher
3,796 Posts
can someone post a before and after pic of the steering arm angle. mine is terrible and im considering buying this but it doesn't seem like it would make a huge difference
with my RSD's almost as low as they can go, it made my steering arm angle parallel to the ground. RSDs already have a lowered arm on the strut, though.

·
I like soup
1,853 Posts

My drop is Around 1.8 inch I believe and this pic is a few years old. I could not find a before pic though.

Btw, Im on Tein SS-P almost all the way dropped.

·
I like soup
1,853 Posts

The only before picture I could find with the same drop. This angle kinda sucks but it was for my new motor mounts and you can sorta tell the slight angle difference.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts