Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Billy Ball is in effect
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I know, there are a lot of DIY's written already on the switching tranny case,drilling/tapping for the 02-04 sensor, and gear swap. Those are proven to work, but ultimately the labor, tools, and knowledge required tend to steer people away from these great low milage transmissions. I have been running an 06+ Si transmission in my car (WITH a working speedometer) without having swapped cases (You need to swap shifter arms, but thats an entirely different procedure..)

Best of all, the parts for the rewiring cost me under 80 bucks. This writeup assumes you have a perfectly working harness with complete speed sensor input (IE you have a working 02-04 Sensor Plug on your engine harness, or at least the wires that lead into it)

Here is the key:

How does it work?
-Simply put, the Dakota Digital box is placed "between" your 05+ Speed Sensor and the Ecu. It reads the input signal and converts it to a matching signal that your ECU and speed can recognize.

Parts:
-A working 05+ Speed sensor and
-Dakota -Digital Universal Speedometer Signal Interface
-A soldering gun
-Electrical Solder
-Electrical Wire
-Electrical Tape
-A friend with another car

1) Wire Prep

First off you will want to run some wires and cut them to an estimated length. Run enough wire to go from your speed sensor, through your firewall, and then to your ECU. Be generous, but don't go too crazy. Do this with 2 wires. Run one into the input spot, and the other into the output 4 spot on the box.

Now youll want to cut the power and ground wires. I placed my converter right next to my ECU, so I needed under 1 foot of wire for the power source. I used one of the ECU mounting bolt threads for the ground. Its not the BEST ground source, but it works. Both wires ended up under being under 1 foot long.

2) Splicing/Soldering

Here is a pinout for the wire we are going to splice. This is one of the harnesses on the ECU.

We want to splice into Wire 2 for the power source.

You will want to remove the tape around the wires are expose them. Just take an x-acto knife, box cutter, or razor and take your time. Once the wire is exposed then solder the end of the power wire to #2 and use the electrical tape to cover your tracks.

For the Ground Source, choose a metal threaded surface and run a wire from the box to this surface. I chose the lower right ECU mounting thread.

Now for the Sensor Wiring. Here is a paint diagram lol.

Splice the Input wire into the wires labeled input. This should go from your dakota box to the wire on your old transmission's VSS.

Splice the Output wire into the wire labeled output. This should go from your dakota box to the wire on your new transmission's VSS.

Solder the remaining wires from the VSS's to each other as shown. The red connection is power and the black is ground. I used an exacto knife to expose the wires and soldered accordingly. Wrap em up with electrical tape.

3) Calibration.

You wiring is now complete. Turn on your car and check for proper connections. The green led on the dakota box should be flashing with your engine on.

Set switches 1,2, and 3 to the on position, set switch 4 to off. This will get you to within 5-10 percent of the actual mileage reading.

Now get your friend and his car on the nearest highway. Pick a speed and have him set the cruise control. Now match the other car's speed and use the up and down buttons on the dakota box to set your speedo to the appropriate speed. Holding the buttons results in a much faster adjustment.

Test your calibration with another speed. Your done. Sweeeeet.

·
Back to stock :(
3,045 Posts
will this work to calivate from high speed frequency vss in 05 to low speed frequency vss like 02-04?

I'm working on eps conversion to my 05 S perhaps this might do the trick :dontknow:

·
Billy Ball is in effect
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it will do the reverse calibration as well. You will just need to play with the settings. There are only starting combinations, so its not too bad.

·
Back to stock :(
3,045 Posts
Yes, it will do the reverse calibration as well. You will just need to play with the settings. There are only starting combinations, so its not too bad.
sounds good :thumbsup:

now the fun part, try to figure out how to work with eps :confused:

·
All Moda!!!
77 Posts
Ha! I just did this in my car three weeks ago and I almost wrote up a DIY! It works great for me. My speedo was off by about 5% but now it's perfect.

I do have the problem now though with the speedo blip. The speedo will drop about 10MPH and then right back after a second. Does anyone else have this problem? I triple checked all my connections. Others with K-Pro have talked about this problem but I never had this problem before I installed the speedo converter. Any thoughts?

Nice Write up BTW!

·
Billy Ball is in effect
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any mods want to sticky this?

·
Jensenbuilt
284 Posts
so im a little confused with the diagram why is there three vss's how does that work im trying to use tis for my 06 type s to put in a 04 base tranny would i just wire in the vss connector into my 06 harness then put the dakota box between the sensor and the ecu

·
Billy Ball is in effect
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, you could wire the converter between your sensor and the ecu. Just run the input wire from your 06 sensor and run the output wire as shown.

The three sensor diagrams show grounds, power, and signal wires for each sensor respectively.

·
Jensenbuilt
284 Posts
k so i talked to a guy at hondata and he said that this will only cause problems trying to do this but as for you it seems to be workin just fine. so im still confused on what i wanna do i have an 03 base tranny which i got for free and a 06 type s which i plan to turbo but i want everything working properly. the tech at hondata says it wont work at all either way 02-04 or 05-06

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
k so i talked to a guy at hondata and he said that this will only cause problems trying to do this but as for you it seems to be workin just fine. so im still confused on what i wanna do i have an 03 base tranny which i got for free and a 06 type s which i plan to turbo but i want everything working properly. the tech at hondata says it wont work at all either way 02-04 or 05-06
He might not want you splicing into your Ecu cables at the same time. I have noticed if Hondata didn't make it they say it wont work.

But you should try it so i can find out :)

If not sounds like the 05-06 guys need to do a whole tranny gutting and install :bsflag:

·
Jensenbuilt
284 Posts
yeah im gonna figure it out one way or the other i was also thinking about treating it like a swap just do 04 harness with 04 ecu and maybe cluster if speedo doesnt work

·
PSHH
2,183 Posts
Anyone else running this setup? I'm running a z1 with a2 engine harness. My plan was to swap in an a2 or a3 trans so I get my speedo working. But if this works, then I wouldn't have to go through the problem of buying and selling my transmission.

·
Time-Rubber-Sweat
818 Posts
What would happen If I was to put a base 02-04 transmission in my 05 RSX-S. I'm running K-pro and I'm aware I will have to tell the ecu that I'm running a base model 5 speed tranny once it's installed. Would the speedometer still work? What other issues are there. I tried searching but no luck. Help please.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have gotten the speedo to work, but vss in kpro shows lower mph than speedo even after calibrating. Also, if you look at gear ratio calcs the speedo is still at bit off at higher mph. For ex. 6th gear at 3.5k should be about 73mph, and 4k rpm should be going about 83 mph. Not perfect, but all in all the best solution for z1 swaps so far. The installation and instructions here are top notch, wish I had this to follow months ago when i was going crazy.

If anyone knows how to solve the low vss mph in kpro, or how accurate using rpm and gear ratios to find mph is please chime in.

·
RSX SOLD! Goodbye CRSX
271 Posts
bump for anyone else who has used this. I have a z1 motor and tranny Im trying to put into my 04 base and would definitely used this if its reliable. Dont want to go thru the trouble of selling and buyer another tranny.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts