Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 568 Posts

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a great way to upgrade your front brakes on a budget.

I put this together for a race car I'm building. Also have a kit on my friends race car.

8th gen civic owners are doing this with s2000 rotors I don't recomend that because you don't use the full surface of the brake pad. Tt hangs out side the s2000 rotor a few mm as you can see in the pic below.
*If you do decide to use s2000 rotor you don't need the 5mm spacer behind TL rotor.

What you need:
2007-2008 Acura TL Brembo Calipers and brake pads
2007-2008 Acura TL Rotors
19mm Caliper bolts from Acura TL
5mm Spacer

The TL Rotor center bore is just a little tight. File or grind it down just a little just so it comes on and off very easy.

I ordered my spacer from ebay. You will install it on the hub before you slide on the rotor. (behind rotor).
The spacer is made to fit behind the wheel so its a little bigger than the inside of the rotor hat.
Put the spacer on the hub and with a marker trace the hub around on the spacer. mill or grind the spacer down to your line.
A few mm later and it fits

I have not tried this with a stock rim. Only with a 17x7 47 offset and my friend is Using a 16" Sparco wheel not sure his offset.

You might need extended wheel studs for wheel spacers depending on what wheel you are using to clear the caliper.

Tools:
17mm,12mm sockets and ratchet to remove your stock caliper
phillips screwdriver
metal sheers or cuters to trim brake dust shield to fit caliper or just remove
drill
1/2 and 9/16 Drill bit to drill out caliper bolt holes in knuckle
round hand file ,round grinding bit for drill or dremel.

1. Jack up and secure your RSX.
2. Remove Wheel
3. Remove caliper rotor and brake line
4. Drill out caliper holes in knuckle. First with 1/2 bit then 9/16
5. Remove dust shield or trim to fit new caliper
6. Install your 5mm spacer
7. Install TL rotor
8. Install TL caliper and brake pads
9. Install brake lines
10. Bleed brakes
11. Install wheels if they clear. For my application I purchased H&R 10mm hubcentric spacer so that my wheel 17x7 47 will clear

If you have any questions,need help sourcing all the parts or need someone to install for you feel free to ask, Located in West Palm Beach, FL. Just send me a pm or call 5613196748

Image of how the pad hangs off the s2000 caliper. Reason why I used the TL rotor

Spacer (inside of rotor)

Spacer used behind the wheel

Pics of brake set up with TL rotors

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is next on my to do list.

How much did you pay for a TL set up?
my cost on rotors were $30 each
caliper bolts were around $2 each
you can get a reman caliper from your local parts store for $100 and up

Used calipers you can get from $200-$500

New Set from dealer is about $640-$700

·
Registered
332 Posts
I don't know if you have a Type S, but did you upgrade proportioning valve and BMC?

Also how was the brake bias affected? Any test done? I've considered several brake options such as brembo, wilwood, etc. However if this is a cheaper alternative with greater or equal performance then I'll put this on my to-do list. Thanks!

·
Lurker
209 Posts
Nice. I tried on my car but the offset of my wheels was wrong. These calipers stick out alot further then the factory ones.

Also bump cause I have a set of front knuckles that are already drilled out for this swap, with brand new wheel bearings, and ball joints. PM if you are intrested in doing this swap and need new front knuckles!

dont mean to thread hack. This is def. a sweet swap and I wanted to do it soo bad but dont have the money for new wheels.

·
rsxdudetx
406 Posts
Subscribed! I DD an 05 6-speed TL so it has these brakes already. I always wondered if it was possible to do this swap without having to change a lot to the knuckle. This is definitely going to save me about half the money I was going to spend on a BBK. When I'm ready to do it in a few months, I'll let you know if I need help with anything. I live in Broward county. Thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Might want to check out O'Reilly's. I found the front brembo reman. calipers for $90 + $50 Core. Freak sweet! Btw, could you take a picture of where you drilled the mounting holes? Or did I misread?

·
Super Moderator
14,190 Posts
Might want to check out O'Reilly's. I found the front brembo reman. calipers for $90 + $50 Core. Freak sweet! Btw, could you take a picture of where you drilled the mounting holes? Or did I misread?
Just ordered a set, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just ordered a set, thanks for the tip!
NP! I am going to be picking up mine in January! :shady:. Hopefully the OP will post pics on where he/she drilled in their knuckle. Also as more info develops on whether or not a new BMC is needed or an upgraded BMC.

·
Super Moderator
14,190 Posts
Mine were 100$+$50 core and then uncle Sam had to take his share too. My total was $328 I believe for the calipers.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Man I didn't realize you could even swap those, I would have deffanitly picked these over the type s calipers. Good info!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Has anyone done this swap? Want to know the specifics. Does anything need to be swapped? Where is the drilling of the knuckle occur? Is it just boring out the previous holes or creating new ones?

1 - 20 of 568 Posts